Kurt Vonnegut

Any old topic will do, I suppose.
Phaedrus

Kurt Vonnegut

Post by Phaedrus »

I suppose Kurt Vonnegut is a science fiction author.

So far, I've read Cat's Cradle and Player Piano, both of which have been just insanely brilliant. I love Vonnegut.

I can't help but reflect on how much better Player Piano depicts a mechanized society and revolt against it than certain other authors we might know about.

Anyone else here a fan? I'm about to read Breakfast of Champions, and I plan to get to Timequake and Slaughterhouse Five before long.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I love Vonnegut too, Phaedrus, and he absolutely is a SF author (though he tried to keep himself on the fringes for economic reasons, not because he did not like the label personally). I have read almost everything that he has written. You may want to save Breakfast of Champions for later though. It is kind of a patchwork of characters from his other novels, and I liked it a lot more after I had re-read it after reading more of his earlier novels.

Player Piano, The Sirens of Titan and Slaughterhouse-5 are my favorite Vonnegut books, but there are a bunch of them pretty much all are good. I have Time Quake in the pile too, as well as a collection of essays that was published just recently. Cant remembe the title of htat one right now though.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Omphalos wrote:I love Vonnegut too, Phaedrus, and he absolutely is a SF author (though he tried to keep himself on the fringes for economic reasons, not because he did not like the label personally). I have read almost everything that he has written. You may want to save Breakfast of Champions for later though. It is kind of a patchwork of characters from his other novels, and I liked it a lot more after I had re-read it after reading more of his earlier novels.

Player Piano, The Sirens of Titan and Slaughterhouse-5 are my favorite Vonnegut books, but there are a bunch of them pretty much all are good. I have Time Quake in the pile too, as well as a collection of essays that was published just recently. Cant remembe the title of htat one right now though.
Wampeters, Foma, and Granfalloons? Or the new one, Armageddon in Retrospect?

I've read most of the former, and I almost bought the latter yesterday. The hardcover price turned me away, though. :cry:
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Armaggeddon in Retrospect. I have a signed copy. :wink: I have a signed Easton Press copy of Sirens too. i hate that there is not gonna be anything new from him any more.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

A signed copy of a posthumously released book? That's impressive. =P

I remember getting really depressed when I heard he'd died. :cry:
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

The authors sometimes sign title pages before they go to the binders. That, must have happened here.

Or, its another book. :oops:

Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

*Shrug* I don't really know what the story behind that one is, only that it's writings on war and peace that never got published while he was alive.

I speed-read through Slaughterhouse Five today. It was pretty brilliant. I'm about 11 chapters into Timequake, which is excellent if incredibly unconventional. I'm not sure if it's really a novel or just stuff Vonnegut was writing, but it's good either way.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I was wrong. The signed one is Bagombo Snuff Box. The one you are asking about is unsigned. Duh. Sorry.

Ragabash
The Benefactor

Post by Ragabash »

God, he was brilliant. I voraciously read his stuff as a teenager, but didn't really get the nuances; I was more into the high weirdness. I've reread some of his stuff recently (and plan to do more), and I've found a touching depth to his work that went over my head before. His sincere examinations of the human condition are astounding, made more poignant by the bizarre turns of plot he surrounds them with.

RIP, Kurt. You earned it.
GLaDOS wrote: This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.

Return to “General Chat”