Kevin J. Anderson, and Brian Herbert at a signing in Toronto

Moderators: SandRider, D Pope

D Pope
Archivist

Kevin J. Anderson, and Brian Herbert at a signing in Toronto

Post by D Pope »

posted Aug of 2009, looks like this partial recording is the only thing this fellow ever did on youtube.
When a brand knew urinal puck showed up in the bathroom of my studio, I knew what I had to do.
-AToE
D Pope
Archivist

Re: Kevin J. Anderson, and Brian Herbert at a signing in Toronto

Post by D Pope »

There are some interesting bits.
:angry-banghead:
When a brand knew urinal puck showed up in the bathroom of my studio, I knew what I had to do.
-AToE
lotek
Archivist

Post by lotek »

at around 2:46, the human douchebag is mentionning a conversation with some publisher.

"we were in a restaurant, a mexican restaurant in Santa Fe [...] and I explained to her "Dune goes much deeper than regular science fiction, this isn't just like another Star Trek "poker" (?) (well reading his shit does feel like a poker, and I'm not talking about the game)"

[img]the%20image%20of%20an%20arse[/img]
In short, the Jihad is over. It ended just as SandRider predicted it would, not with a bang or even a whimper, by simple attrition.
- D. Pope
SandRider
Judge of the Change

Post by SandRider »

when Brian talks about "Dad", it sometimes seems he might almost understand
Frank's Dune ... he seems to adequately & intelligently convey what the themes
of Dune were, and often talks about Frank's style & method of writing ...

but then, compare all that to the actual content of McDune ... there is a huge
dis-connect .... it simply MUST be Keith ... and Brian is too timid to forcefully
correct or dispute Keith's ideas & input ...

what I'm saying is that over the years, I'm coming to a conclusion that Brian Herbert
is not as stupid as he seems ... standing so close to tehKJA just makes him appear so ...
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandRider wrote:when Brian talks about "Dad", it sometimes seems he might almost understand
Frank's Dune ... he seems to adequately & intelligently convey what the themes

but then, compare all that to the actual content of McDune ... there is a huge
dis-connect .... it simply MUST be Keith ... and Brian is too timid to forcefully
correct or dispute Keith's ideas & input ...

what I'm saying is that over the years, I'm coming to a conclusion that Brian Herbert
is not as stupid as he seems ... standing so close to tehKJA just makes him appear so ...
So Brian's failure is a failure to realize his vision of the story? Doubt it. This whole thing reminds me of some attorneys that I know who can recite code and law verbatim, but utterly fail to put it together in the context of a case they are handling. Brian has read Touponce and O'Reilly and can repeat what he was told, kind of like a silverback trained to "communicate" in ASL. Bully for him.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
D Pope
Archivist

Post by D Pope »

A recent BH interview contained his dissatisfaction with an unnamed collaberator on the grounds that Brian had no controll and 'he (the other guy) did what ever he wanted.' I don't doubt that He probably wants to do a better job and might even realize how bad the product is, but as Amp said, "Given the choice of standing up to him and getting another author or quitting the gravy train, they have to double down."
Rider wrote:... he seems to adequately & intelligently convey what the themes
I've always heard a progammed quality, especially when he uses that annoying 'dragon guarding the treasure' line.
"I'm coming to a conclusion that Brian Herbert is not as stupid as he seems... standing so close to tehKJA just makes him appear so ..."
I don't know mate, it looks to me like kevies 'energy' makes Brian look smarter than he is.
Not that he's a complete dumbshit, perhaps his potential is somewhat eroded by the life he's led. I'd like to meet him sometime, not sure if I could put aside Dune long enough to... whatever.
-AToE
SandRider
Judge of the Change

Post by SandRider »

from his "other" books, it's clear that Brian Herbert is not a writer ... that he cannot
transfer ideas to the printed page ... and from other interviews where Keith bulldozes
Brian over and Brian offers only weak resistance, I get the feeling that's the way the
"collaboration" goes with them ...

so while I'm not saying that Brian is a brain-trust here, I'm saying that if he had a more
forceful personality and had been paired with a partner that actually respected him and
respected the themes & details of Frank's Dune, McDune might've been different ...

I've done this before, I think it might sound like this ...

Keith: So Paul was actually born on Kaitan !!
Brian: But Dad was pretty clear about ....
Keith: So what? Irulan's Propaganda, dude ! This'll be SOOO much kewler !
Brian: Well, I just don't think ...
Keith: And a space circus! I wanted to put a space circus in Star Wars ...
Brian: Well, that just seems ...
Keith: Dude! Trust me, I know what I'm doing. Lookit all these books I got published !
Brian: Well, okay ...

on the other hand, Pope has a point : standing next to Keith, anyone can look smarter ...

the main observation, tho, was that I've heard Brian talk alot about "Dad's books",
saying things about the way Frank wrote and what he wrote about that are in no way
evidenced in the McDune ... like I said, there is a dis-connect ... which goes back to a
very old question: Does Brian realize or not how fucking horrible the McDune is in
comparison to Frank? Does he realize it and is ashamed to be on this ride only for the
money, or does he actually believe he is "continuing Dad's legacy" ?

either one of those answers are disturbing in their own way ...

Return to “Brian Herbert”