It's Back

Moderator: Nekhrun

Nekhrun
Archivist

It's Back

Post by Nekhrun »

As many of you know I've been developing quite a bit of online content for teachers over the last few years. I've now started developing a Norse Myth unit to function much like this course does in terms of layout and digital resources: http://courses.moodleshare.com/course/view.php?id=82

I've got some ideas and the text of the stories, but if any of you have any ideas about potential resources that should go into the course I'd love to hear about it.

Here's what I'll be working with so far:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/ice/index.htm
and
http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/havamal.html

Since I'm going to share this I need Open Source; Creative Commons; Public Domain type stuff.

At the very least, I'd be interested in feedback once it's complete. I'll be starting work on it this week.

As items and resources come up I'll also be posting them in the Mythology forum. When this is finished, I'd like to expand to other regions and add those as well.
Robspierre
Archivist

Re: It's Back

Post by Robspierre »

Check google books for public domain writings.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

I'm nearly finished with the first phase of the course. It's a little light on assignments at the moment in favor of providing the text to the stories in as many ways as I can. Anyone have any favorite Norse Myths in particular?

I'm planning to post it in about a week or two, then maybe once the resources are up those of you who have an interest could offer some suggestions.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I'm no expert, but I have always been interested in Heimdall. It feels like he is the godly representation of the lower classes, and I think there is a legend about him creating peasants?

Also interested in the similarities and differences between Ragnarok and Armageddon.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

Omphalos wrote:Also interested in the similarities and differences between Ragnarok and Armageddon.
That comparative piece is one I've been missing, but I do have a section for Ragnarok. I've questioned how much I should include comparisons to other stories except for when the academic standards allow for it.

It was my hope that it would eventually be part of a larger course I'd create that incorporated Babylonian, Egyptian, Greek, Chinese and Christian myths. The thing that takes so much time is making it a truly online course and not simply recreating something that was done in a face-to-face environment. There is surprisingly little Norse content online that is professional-looking enough to be useful.

There's also sifting through all the racist shit that comes along with it.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Yeah, the Norse religion reconstructivists or whatever they call themselves seem to be split into groups - white power asshats and sane human beings. Doesn't help that the fylfot looks so much like abloody swastika, can make the two types hard to tell apart!

I'd like to know more about the relationship between Norse and Germanic religion. I haven't really gotten it figured out, seems to overlap a lot but still be seperate? Almost like the different Hindu religions?
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
Serkanner

Post by Serkanner »

No words:

Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Yeah, the Norse religion reconstructivists or whatever they call themselves seem to be split into groups - white power asshats and sane human beings. Doesn't help that the fylfot looks so much like abloody swastika, can make the two types hard to tell apart!

I'd like to know more about the relationship between Norse and Germanic religion. I haven't really gotten it figured out, seems to overlap a lot but still be seperate? Almost like the different Hindu religions?
This is one reason why I'm going to shre the course I'm working on. Norse Myth is a major factor in me not eating a bullet in high school. It was those stories that later helped me get over my depression (and over myself).

I like the whole idea behind the comedy that can be found in shitty situations with the outlook only getting worse.

The Germainc relationships are interesting. I need to come back to this when I'm not on an iPad...
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

Serkanner wrote:No words:

This is blocked for me. What is it?
Serkanner

Post by Serkanner »

Nekhrun wrote:
Serkanner wrote:No words:

This is blocked for me. What is it?