Board Crashing

Any old topic will do, I suppose.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Board Crashing

Post by Omphalos »

In an effort to help improve inter-board relationships, and as a show of support for some of our T(A)U members that have discussion boards of their own, we will begin a series of board-crashing parties (this is sounding pretty original, right? :wink: )

Starting in August, in cooperation with Worm (Worm's Sci Fi Haven), Freakzilla (Jacurutu) and myself, we will be participating in weekend crashing of each other’s boards. By “crashing”, I don’t mean in a trouble making way. It works like this:

On the weekend a board is to be crashed, all members are encouraged to log on the designated site and post there as you would at your own “home” board, but on topics more closely related to the host board’s theme. I'm sure most of you are familiar with Jacurutu and Worm's.

FAQ’s

Q - Why?

A - Why not? With the Internet being heavy in all kinds discussion boards, it’s hard to get enough people interested in becoming members, let alone trying to keep a discussion forum active enough and keep it interesting enough so people will come back. The board-crashing parties will help all the boards involved to get an influx of new people and increased activity. Plus it will initiate people to the idea that it can be fun posting somewhere other than their Home board.

Q - But isn’t that helping the competition?

A - I don’t believe we are in competition with Worm's or Jacurutu. The theme for Jacurutu fundamentally associated with Frank Herbert’s Dune universe, while Haven and T(A)U encompasses all Science Fiction topics. I look at it more as friends helping each other.

Q - What’s in it for me?

A - Glad you asked that. The board owners of all three sites have agreed to make a bit of a contest out of the board-crashing parties. A participating member could win a $10 gift certificate to Amazon.com. A member that really applied his or her self, could possibly end up winning a total of $30 for participating and winning in a category for all three board-crashing parties. (See below for more info)

Q - Can Mandy be one of the prizes?

A - No Orald, I can’t offer up Mandy for your twisted pleasures.

Q - How’d you know it was me?

A - Lucky guess.

Q – How long will each party last?

A – Each site will be crashed for one weekend in August. This includes Friday starting 12am host board time, Saturday and Sunday until 12am host board time. (72 hours)

Here are the dates for the crash parties:

1st WE: Haven and T(A)U members crash Jacurutu -- Aug. 8,9,10 ( http://www.jacurutu.com/ )

2nd WE: Jacurutu and T(A)U members crash Haven -- Aug. 15,16,17 ( http://www.wormsscifi.com/haven/ )

3rd WE: Haven and Jacurutu members crash T(A)U -- Aug. 22,23,24 ( http://bb.solahpmo.com/index.php )

Rules:

1- Participating board-crashers and members will follow the host’s established board rules in place for each site.
2- Treat each board and its members with respect. (I know I didn’t need to say that)
3- Have fun, make great posts, and post a lot.

Contest:

Each board owner will be putting up two $10 gift certificates to Amazon.com as prizes. This is the agreed upon prize amount, tho each board owner is free to add to the prize total or number of prizes as the wish. Each board owner will be allowed to make up their own contest rules as they see fit. So check each board for their contest rules.

Here’s how you can win:

1- One member* of the host board who makes the most posts during the board-crashing timeframe, will win a $10 gift certificate to Amazon.com
2- One newly joined member** of the host board who makes the most posts during the board-crashing timeframe, will win a $10 gift certificate to Amazon.com

* This will be a person that was already a member of the host board before 7/18/08
** This will be a new member that joined the host board after 12am on the Friday after the start of the host’s board crash party.

Contest Rules:

1- Posts will only become eligible for counting as part of the contest total beginning on Friday at midnight, and ending Sunday at midnight, host board time during the board-crash party dates designated for that board.
2- Host board staff members are not eligible to win prizes, but are eligible to participate for prizes at the other two boards during the board-crashing parties, unless the host board has separate rules pertaining to such participation by other board staff members.
3- Contest Rules established at any host board will supercede and take precedence over any contest rules that have been written at any other board.
4- Gift certificates will be sent via email. A valid email address must be supplied for winners to receive their awards.
5- The awarding of the Robots CD will be done by mail service. A valid mailing address must be given to the Haven board owner for the winner to receive his or her prize.
6- Posts made in Haven’s game threads (Stellar Games Promenade) will only count as one-half a regular post. All other post not in the game threads, count as one regular post.
7- New Topics started will count as one regular post if 3 replies, or less have been added to the topic. New Topics that have 4 or more replies will count as two regular posts.
8- The decision of the host board staff in the awarding of prizes will be final.

FINAL NOTE

This site is ordinarily reserved as an OH retreat. I have not changed my mind on that, even though the original purpose was to have a place away from DN, where the fucking insanity would stop. Now that most (or possibly all) of us are going out in blazes of glory from DN there does not seem to be much reason to keep this place locked down the way I usually do, aside from keeping the odd the preek out. Nevertheless, for the week preceding the T(A)U crash, I will set the board to accept anyone who signs on, and flush the few turds that are likely to float to the top as they sign up. Afterwards, we will go back to super-max lockdown.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Worm

Post by Worm »

Ha ha.. Omph.. I read your "Final Note" :lol:

Anyway, I wanted to remind everyone that the board crash on Jacurutu starts tomorrow.

1st WE: Haven and T(A)U members crash Jacurutu -- Aug. 8,9,10 ( http://www.jacurutu.com/ )

I know most of you are over there anyways, but just a reminder. Let's put up a lot of activity there, and may the most poster win.
Worm

Post by Worm »

Don't forget, board crashing at Haven starts tomorrow. Hope to see you there.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Thanks, Worm. I was just coming to post this.

FYI, starting Monday I'm going to let users auto register, up until the next Sunday.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Okay Worm, your board registration sucks.

First, for some reason the text...

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

...will not work in the "loc field". It produces an error.

Second, my website...

http://www.new-un-spacy.com/m3.html

...will not work in the "web field". Again, errorsville.

Third, for some reason it tells me the BB code and HTML are turned on, but any tags I use in my "sig field" comes back with an error. Oh, punctuation also causes an error in that field as well, such as commas and apostrophes.

Fourth, the anti-spam encryption graphic sometimes produces more letter/number combinations than are possible to type into the field. The graphic once produced a sequence of 7 letters/numbers to type in; your field only allows for six characters, maximum.

Fifth and finally, I exceeded the number of registration attempts and now I'm locked out.

Whoohooo! :)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

You, Sir, are a disgrace to webizens whirled-wide! :P

Best thing is always just do the minimum to get registered and then go back and fill in the details later.

Hindsight is...

A vision of male deer or lookin' at yer butt in a mirror.

:shock:
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Dude, I've probably registered on more forums than everyone here combined. This registration system can't even handle nick, password and e-mail without fucking up. A 7 digit encryption that only allows a 6 digit answer? Give me a break.

The only excuse for a registration system this problematic is if you're actively discouraging new members. Worms sci-fi haven wouldn't happen to be a MySpace account would it? :) :P

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:Okay Worm, your board registration sucks.

First, for some reason the text...

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

...will not work in the "loc field". It produces an error.

Second, my website...

http://www.new-un-spacy.com/m3.html

...will not work in the "web field". Again, errorsville.

Third, for some reason it tells me the BB code and HTML are turned on, but any tags I use in my "sig field" comes back with an error. Oh, punctuation also causes an error in that field as well, such as commas and apostrophes.

Fourth, the anti-spam encryption graphic sometimes produces more letter/number combinations than are possible to type into the field. The graphic once produced a sequence of 7 letters/numbers to type in; your field only allows for six characters, maximum.

Fifth and finally, I exceeded the number of registration attempts and now I'm locked out.

Whoohooo! :)
He has anit-spamware on the board. You have to have been a member for 12 days and made ten posts to be able to do that stuff. Once you reac that, you are good to go. Before that, you may be a dirty spammer, so no dice.

But as for the Toronto, Ontario, Canada thing, maybe Worm hates Ontarians? Ontarionians? Ontariois?

Star Dust

Post by Star Dust »

i'm cutting Worm some slack, but the whole capcha thing seems...odd? Why
would it give me a 7 or 8 digit string when it only accepts 6 characters?
DN banned: Sep 14, 2008
==================
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Star Dust wrote:i'm cutting Worm some slack, but the whole capcha thing seems...odd? Why
would it give me a 7 or 8 digit string when it only accepts 6 characters?
Those things are modular. He just plugged in some code, and happened to get a crappy one, I guess. I dunno, its been a long time since I had to use that system at Worms. It looks like plenty are getting through, though. Like 5 or 6 new users I have never heard of before in the last few weeks, plus everyone from Jacurutu and here.

Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Are you still locked out?
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

I haven't attempted. I'm waiting to hear from Worms before I try again. Besides, I'll give it only one more go and if it doesn't work, I'm not bothering.

Registration is like a waiter; you get one free screw up but after the second, the restaurant is written off :) :P

Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Well, he just turned off some of the anti-spambot stuff so the board crashers can register and put links in their profiles. I have no idea what the problem with your location was, that is just weird. I left Worm a message in the mod forum about your problems, told him to check his PMs here, since I assume that this is where you are trying to contact him. We'll get it sorted out.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

GamePlayer wrote:Dude, I've probably registered on more forums than everyone here combined.
I know. That's what makes it somewhat amusing that it's happening to you.

But, really, I do feel your pain. (I remember being irritated when I first joined that I couldn't post links to sites or images or anything. ;) )
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Thanks Mandy. I'll wait patiently until he comes around and then give it another try if he gives me the go ahead.

my chigga
Point is I've registered at so many places over the years, I've no patience for registration hassle. I'll just join another forum. It's a surfers market out there; if you want people to join your board, best ensure joining is problem free.

I think many would be surprised to learn how easy people are turned away over simple errors like that. Some because they are poor computer users; others because they run out of patience; and veterans like myself who've done this a hundred times and want it easy.

Ordinarily, I'd have given up by now. But Worms is a good guy, everyone here raves about Sci-Fi Haven and it's a community function that we're supposed to be participating in.

Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

I've registered on many forums as well... but I never had a problem with Worm's :P

Oh the irony.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Hey, Pardot's back! :D

Just logging in to say (before the damn thing freezes up again?) that I'm having video card probs with my PowerBook and probably won't be posting much or taking part in the crashing at Worm's. :(

Futzing with the idea of going and picking up the cheapest iMac I can find.

See y'all later!

Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Never really left :P

Just lurkin'.
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

I have no idea where Worm is, haven't seen him online all weekend. Sorry, GamePlayer... I don't see your name in the memberlist so maybe you should try to register again. Enough time has passed that you shouldn't be locked out anymore.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Yeah I don't know how it works; whether it's just time or I have to be unlocked. I'm going to workout right now, so in a few hours I'll come back and try to register again. Thanks for your help.

Worm

Post by Worm »

Sorry, I was busy all day yesterday. Gameplayer, I don't see you on the userlist,so you haven't even made it in. The spam ACP has been turned off to ease registration anxiety. I changed the captcha as well.

Hope you don't have anymore trouble.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Okay, I'm back. Thanks for your help and all Mandy and Worm. I'm going to give it another try. Nothing fancy, just the bare minimum.

Here goes...

EDIT
You're not going to believe it, but I'm running into the same problem; confirmation code. It's asking me to type in:

F1R4IVD

Naturally, the "D" won't fit. I can only fit six digits into the answer box. I'm going to try it anyway and will post my result...

EDIT PART DEUX

"EEEENNNNNHHHHH! Sorry Hans, wrong guess. Would you like to go for double jeopardy, where the scores can really change?"

:evil: :evil: :evil:

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Worm, if you have FTP access to your server files, it should be an easy enough fix to just edit the input field to allow for longer captcha(?)/confirmation codes....

Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Arghh.. Sorry GamePlayer. I don't understand why you are having such a hard time.

Thanks for the suggestion Chig, I'll let Worm know.
Worm

Post by Worm »

SandChigger wrote:Worm, if you have FTP access to your server files, it should be an easy enough fix to just edit the input field to allow for longer captcha(?)/confirmation codes....
I have no idea where to find that. My technowiz admin has been MIA for months now. I'm looking for someone I can trust and knows how to update phpbb software. If interested, let me know.
Worm

Post by Worm »

GamePlayer I sent you a PM.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

I hear Hypochondia is looking for a job. :lol:

(Sorry...I need to work more on my own site at the moment. Besides, haven't you heard? I'm not trustworthy. :lol: )

And sorry, too, I missed the board crashing over your way. It seems like everything that can break down this year is, so I've been kinda preoccupied. (Hot water heater went out last Saturday. Been doing cold showers or stinkin' since. :shock: )

Finally went out last night and got a new thinking machine, though. :D

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:And sorry, too, I missed the board crashing over your way. It seems like everything that can break down this year is, so I've been kinda preoccupied.
How's that hip doin'? :P

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Dood, I'm down with it, like, it's happening. Wow.

That the hip you meant?

:P

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Dood, I'm down with it, like, it's happening. Wow.

That the hip you meant?

:P
Das da fact, cat!

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

(I'm going to quietly slip away...before this becomes truly embarrassing.... slip)

Worm

Post by Worm »

Don't forget, this weekend starts the board crash for T(A)U.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Worm wrote:GamePlayer I sent you a PM.
Read and followed. A big thanks to Worm for helping me past the registration of ultimate evil :)

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Welcome to the Thunderdome!

Worm

Post by Worm »

You are welcome.
GamePlayer wrote:
Worm wrote:GamePlayer I sent you a PM.
Read and followed. A big thanks to Worm for helping me past the registration of ultimate evil :)
Actually it’s set up to stop “ultimate evil”. If you were the only one having so much trouble... well… you draw your own conclusions. :P
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Any word as to who the prize winners are at Jacurutu and Worm's?

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:Any word as to who the prize winners are at Jacurutu and Worm's?
I'll have to figure that out this weekend.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Worm wrote:Actually it’s set up to stop “ultimate evil”. If you were the only one having so much trouble... well… you draw your own conclusions. :P
If it was "annoyance", I'd agree with you. But evil? Why I'm the very portrait of all that is good. :)

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

^^^ I'd vouch for some part of that. :D

Just not sure which part.... :shock:

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

^^^ Well it's 9 out of the 10 words in the last sentence that ring true to me :twisted:
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

-Rimmer’s farewell speech
Worm

Post by Worm »

The winners at Haven were Phaedrus and Centurian988. I sent the certificates today.

Sorry I missed most of the board crash here, we got a new puppy on Friday and had a full day planned on Saturday, including a Cards game in which we got trounced by the Braves.

I am here today tho, and since I post at three times the quality of other people, I'm sure I can make up some of the slack. :wink:
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

OK guys and gals. Its almost midnight on the East Coast and I think I can safely call the winners. The clear winner in the "Old Guys" category is SC, with 35 posts. Nobody registered in the week before the crash, but nevertheless we do have some "new meat" around here. Spiff takes gold in that category, with 17 posts.

Not sure yet how to send an Amazon certificate, but Ill ask the wife who does all that stuff. If either of you want a gift certificate for someplace else, just let me know and its done.

Thanks all. The weekend was a lot of fun!

OK. Back to super-max lock-down.

Eyes High
Momma Eyes

Post by Eyes High »

Congratulations guys. :D :lol: :P

I thought we were going by the time on the host board. :oops: My mistake.

The crash was fun, let's do it agian sometime.
I shall lift up my eyes unto the glory of the Lord.

Safety's just danger out of place.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Huh? :shock:

I thought it was by host-board time as well. :?

I demand a recount! :P

Eyes High
Momma Eyes

Post by Eyes High »

Omphalos wrote:...

Does that mean I won't be able to come back? :cry:

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Eyes High wrote:
Omphalos wrote:...

Does that mean I won't be able to come back? :cry:
Nope. Just that new users cannot join without my approval. We are already in super-max lock-down.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Eyes High wrote:Does that mean I won't be able to come back? :cry:
You's goooood people. :D

You gotta stick around to hold off the ole fire and brimstone. You know, that whole Sodom and Gomorrah shtick. :P

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I think I did say at one point that I would go through the memberlist and delete any butt-heads who managed to make it through. But none of them did...or actually even tried, from what I can tell. :D

You are safe Eyes.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Does that mean we have here fallen below butt-head radar?

Is that a good thing? ;)

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

This place never was supposed to be big. Just cozy, so I think we co'. 8)

Eyes High
Momma Eyes

Post by Eyes High »

SandChigger wrote:
Eyes High wrote:Does that mean I won't be able to come back? :cry:
You's goooood people. :D

You gotta stick around to hold off the ole fire and brimstone. You know, that whole Sodom and Gomorrah shtick. :P
That might be a mighty taaallll order around here. :lol: :wink:

Thanks for letting me stay. I'll try to be good [most of the time]

SpacemanSpiff

Post by SpacemanSpiff »

Spiff takes gold in that category, with 17 posts.
I WON?
Tha's kind of funny because I wasn't even trying to win I was just participating in the crash but amazon.com is cool.
Most of the aliens we have met in our exploration of the galaxy consider humans to be quite tasty. Well I say, If they have no problem with consuming another sentient being then I have no problem with blasting them into a pile of ashes.

(SpacemanSpiff: Testifying before the United Planets subcommittee for the advancement of galactic peace)

Return to “General Chat”