Like Butter...

Any old topic will do, I suppose.
Freakzilla
Archivist

Like Butter...

Post by Freakzilla »

Pass The Butter .... please.

This is interesting . . . . .

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back. It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings.

DO YOU KNOW.. the difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few
only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years.

And now, for Margarine..

Very high in trans fatty acids.

Triple risk of coronary heart disease.
Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five fold.

Lowers quality of breast milk.

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC..

This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is dded, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and, spread that on your toast?
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Sister Artemis

Post by Sister Artemis »

I don't know about that last one... I have had mold growing on the inside of the lid and on the edge of a margerine container (where the margerine is very "thin"). Then again, perhaps it was microscopic toast particles left in the margerine by some careless toast-butterer.

Scary stuff in any case. When several friends were advised to switch back to butter for health reasons (some of which are stated in the list), I went with the tide. It tastes better, and I tend to use less as well. I have a lonely tub of the evil margerine in the fridge for greasing up baking dishes -- probably not a lot of the oily stuff gets in my food, and it sticks to the sides (unlike liquid oil), plus it salts up the edges of casseroles and breads, so I probably won't quit doing that. However, I bet that pint tub of margerine will end up lasting me 10 years now that I use butter for everything else. At least it won't rot.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I like to rant the same way about Twinkees. Absolutely no food value at all, and the "cream filling" is nothing short of a sweetened polymer.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Star Dust

Post by Star Dust »

Omphalos wrote:I like to rant the same way about Twinkees. Absolutely no food value at all, and the "cream filling" is nothing short of a sweetened polymer.
Yeah, but batter 'em up and drop 'em in a vat of boiling oil and they taste great!!! ;)

I switched to real butter a long time ago. Accept no substitute!

Hiya Sis!
DN banned: Sep 14, 2008
==================
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

I doubt that's true. Even if it is, it's completely meaningless.

Water(H2O, required for life, yaknow?) is only ONE MOLECULE away from being HYDROGEN PEROXIDE (H2O2, which is EXPLOSIVE). OMGZ, don't drink teh waters!

Sounds to me like that's a forwarded email originated by someone owning cows somewhere. In other words, it's total bullshit. Margarine is perfectly safe, and in a lot of ways, healthier than butter.
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Phaedrus wrote:

Water(H2O, required for life, yaknow?) is only ONE MOLECULE away from being HYDROGEN PEROXIDE (H2O2, which is EXPLOSIVE). OMGZ, don't drink teh waters!

Sounds to me like that's a forwarded email originated by someone owning cows somewhere. In other words, it's total bullshit. Margarine is perfectly safe, and in a lot of ways, healthier than butter.
Like how?

~Leto II, God Emperor
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Star Dust wrote:Yeah, but batter 'em up and drop 'em in a vat of boiling oil and they taste great!!! ;)
You remind me of my Scottish cousins. Those bastards will eat anything as long as its been deep fried.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

Mandy

Post by Mandy »

I confess that I love margarine.. have you tried Country Crock? OMG, it's delicious. Butter is delicious but it's a lot more expensive than margarine.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Freakzilla wrote:
Phaedrus wrote:

Like how?
Less trans fat, less saturated fat, and no cholesterol(according to wikipedia, although the cholesterol has no citation, the others do). And you can buy low fat margarine that's even better.

Dairy lobbyists have been trying to get margarine off the market for years with propaganda, legislation, and straight-up lies. It only works when people apply the naturalistic fallacy(it's better because it's NATURAL...like aging, disease, hemlock, and mosquitoes are good, while medicine, cities, cars, and the Internet are bad) or actually believe the BS. If you can cite a scientific article that deems margarine unsafe or unhealthy, I might have reason to doubt it, but unsourced, unverified data isn't a good argument.
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

This doesn't even make sense. I think whoever wrote that meant to say that a margarine molecule is one atom away from being plastic.

And as Phaedrus pointed out, one atom can make a hell of a lot of difference.
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Omphalos wrote:
Star Dust wrote:Yeah, but batter 'em up and drop 'em in a vat of boiling oil and they taste great!!! ;)
You remind me of my Scottish cousins. Those bastards will eat anything as long as its been deep fried.
What's wrong with that?
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

One can only eat so many deep fried Mars bars or slices of pizza in a lifetime. Or rather, "should eat" anyway.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah, after a while it makes more sense to just take a knife and cut open your chest and pour the stuff over yer heart! :twisted:

Nya-nya-nyaha!
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Now Now My good Omphalos, The practice of deep frying Mars Bars was just a passing phase and I'm sure it got old fast. They are, no doubt, back to the perennial favourite mainlining of smack to get their fix.
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

-Rimmer’s farewell speech
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Quick, somebody change the topic of conversation before we get into revenue sharing over oil and tax subsidies to those in the north!

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

It's our OIL, OUR OIL, I tell and those thieving bastards stole it all.

And what did the Romans ever do for us?
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Just saw DOOMSDAY they quarantine all of Scotland to stop the disease and the scots revert to their natural state fetish wannabe cannibals....

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Woad be upon thee? :lol:

Woad begone days...be gone?

Once more for the woad?

(Someone, STOP ME!)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

SpacemanSpiff

Post by SpacemanSpiff »

Omphalos wrote:Quick, somebody change the topic of conversation before we get into revenue sharing over oil and tax subsidies to those in the north!
OKEY DOKEY ARTICHOKEY!

inhuien: Two questions, How do you pronounce your screen name and what the hell is that THING bouncin in your avitar?
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Ooh, ooh! I know the answer to the second one!

It's a FantyAss Repeler! :lol:

SpacemanSpiff

Post by SpacemanSpiff »

SandChigger wrote:Ooh, ooh! I know the answer to the second one!

It's a FantyAss Repeler! :lol:
WEEEELL that explains everything! :roll:
Most of the aliens we have met in our exploration of the galaxy consider humans to be quite tasty. Well I say, If they have no problem with consuming another sentient being then I have no problem with blasting them into a pile of ashes.

(SpacemanSpiff: Testifying before the United Planets subcommittee for the advancement of galactic peace)
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

(Explanation: When Jacurutu started up, the Ethnically-Origined Village Idiot—Fantomas—keep going on and on and on about it. When he wasn't taking potshots at Mandy. :evil: I like to think of Yellow Bouncy Bouncy Weeeeeeee as a proof against idiots. ;) )

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Well the wee bouncy Yellow man/thing can not be described to attempt such a task is to risk madness. Me screen name could be pronounced In-Hew-En.

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Apparently there's plastic in ice cream as well. Yummy :)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

inhuien wrote:Well the wee bouncy Yellow man/thing can not be described to attempt such a task is to risk madness. Me screen name could be pronounced In-Hew-En.
My son asked me the other day what your avatar was. He thinks its a Pokemon. He loves watching it.

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Omphalos wrote:
inhuien wrote:Well the wee bouncy Yellow man/thing can not be described to attempt such a task is to risk madness. Me screen name could be pronounced In-Hew-En.
My son asked me the other day what your avatar was. He thinks its a Pokemon. He loves watching it.
We all love watching it. It brings great joy for some reason.
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:
My kids like it too.

~Leto II, God Emperor
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Anyone who DOESN'T like it is dysfunctional.

(You know who I mean.)

Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

You guys are nuts! I want to step on that fucking thing! :twisted:
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Really? Then let the indoctrination begin!

:P :lol:

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Nekhrun the nasty wrote:You guys are nuts! I want to step on that fucking thing! :twisted:
:cry: :? :P

Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

GamePlayer wrote:Really? Then let the indoctrination begin!

:P :lol:
That angers up the blood.
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

inhuien wrote:
Nekhrun the nasty wrote:You guys are nuts! I want to step on that fucking thing! :twisted:
:cry: :? :P
I'll give you one thing, at least you're not running backwards.
inhuien

WARNING FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY

Post by inhuien »

You mean like this?

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

A Thing of Eternity

Re: WARNING FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

inhuien wrote:You mean like this?

You should warn the epileptics before you do that!
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:

You should warn the epileptics before you do that!
<drool>

Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

I would like to cook whatever the fuck that thing is over a slow flame.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Nekhrun wrote:

I would like to cook whatever the fuck that thing is over a slow flame.
Probably would not taste good though.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Ah, flashy animated GIF-induced epileptic seizures...what stupid bitch does that remind me of.... :roll:

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Oh, I gotta try that too :)

ImageImageImage

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:Oh, I gotta try that too :)

ImageImageImage
Cute. The boy will love this one too. Someone do a third level so my whole monitor is full of them.

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

GamePlayer wrote:Oh, I gotta try that too :)

ImageImageImage

Only cause da mans son demands it!

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Vaguely sick-making.

I LOVE it. :D

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
inhuien wrote:You should warn the epileptics before you do that!
I did try to hence the warning re flash photograghy. I'm loving Orca-boy, Woo-hoo!!!!

SpacemanSpiff

Post by SpacemanSpiff »

SandChigger wrote:(Explanation: When Jacurutu started up, the Ethnically-Origined Village Idiot—Fantomas—keep going on and on and on about it. When he wasn't taking potshots at Mandy. :evil: I like to think of Yellow Bouncy Bouncy Weeeeeeee as a proof against idiots. ;) )
Well now that does explain it thank you.
Well the wee bouncy Yellow man/thing can not be described to attempt such a task is to risk madness. Me screen name could be pronounced In-Hew-En.
Thanks for the pronunciation lesson and not to worry I'll not risk angering the wee jolly bouncy man/thing type dude person... :?
Most of the aliens we have met in our exploration of the galaxy consider humans to be quite tasty. Well I say, If they have no problem with consuming another sentient being then I have no problem with blasting them into a pile of ashes.

(SpacemanSpiff: Testifying before the United Planets subcommittee for the advancement of galactic peace)

Return to “General Chat”