New Dune Movie

Start topics here about Dune that are not bloody likely to be screwed with by me.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

New Dune Movie

Post by Omphalos »

For what its worth, I have not seen this confirmed anywhere else, but it is dated today:

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2007/12/21/co ... in-a-salt/
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Byron has already denied this over on DN.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

In what terms?

Categorically, or like a gelding?
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Pretty categorically. He said that the "lawyers still have it," or something like that.

EDIT: D'oh! I meant like a gelding. :oops:
Last edited by Omphalos on Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

if they do this, it had better have a huge budget and be like 6-12 hours long :)
13athroom

Post by 13athroom »

according to these guys, the flick has been green lit, and a search for "talented" screenwiters is underway.

http://sffmedia.com/content/view/179/1/

grains of salt.
Kilroy was here
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Speaking of new dune movie, I was just catching up on DN and read this from Byron:
Not much news to report. Joshua Zetumer is, indeed, the screenwriter and the script is "out to him" at present. Once Paramount has accepted the screenplay then they start looking for actors, locations, cinematograhers, etc. But, for now, everything hinges on Zetumer.

As to other film franchises, there's ups and downs for sure. I could only dream of Dune being as highly praised as LOTR; that would ensure sequels. But then I think about things like Battlefield Earth and cringe. I'm not a religious man, but I've been praying to any gods that'd hear me to please honor my grandfather and give him the movie he deserved in life.
OMG! :shock:

You mean like your uncle and and that hack KJA are doing? Give me a fucking break :evil:
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Well, if the new Dune adaptation does fail horribly, maybe a certain someone will learn something.

Maybe.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

how can it succeed? The only people who will give it any staying power have been ignored and insulted left and right by the HLP.

There is no way Hollywood can make a successful Dune film in the current environment. Impossible. If I feel the new film does more justice to Dune than the Lynch film or the Harrison Mini I will buy a hat and eat it (and i'll post THAT on you tube instead of a burning Paul of Dune). It already loses because KJA is attached.

To make a Dune movie you need an epic director, and epic cast of actors that get along (I mean epic, not stars), epic special effects and sets, and a fucking epic script.

I'm thinking Waterworld-trumping failure here.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Script will make or break it more than anything else, because as Freak mentioned once somewhere around here, there's too much thinking in Dune - way too much internal dialogue, which translates like shit to film.
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

The problem is all that internal dialoge is crucial. If they can find a way to translate that to the screen it will be key. I almost want to say a narrator but that's kinda cheesy.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
A Thing of Eternity

Yes, without the internal dialogue it's almost impossible to explain any of the key concepts like the MP and OM. But long internal speeches are something we can probably count on not seeing.
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I think Lynch did it as best as it could be done. A narrator would be too confusing.
A Thing of Eternity

Ampoliros wrote:I think Lynch did it as best as it could be done. A narrator would be too confusing.
I think Lynch did the MP okay, but for some reason he felt he couldn't get martial arts across to the audience and switched the weirding way to sound guns? When a book is made a movie there are always changes, but needless ones just piss off old fans, there was no reason to have the sound guns.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Ampoliros wrote:how can it succeed? The only people who will give it any staying power have been ignored and insulted left and right by the HLP.
While any involvement of the HLP is a bad sign, especially given the slant of current management, I'm looking at this film as a film production. Based on that criteria only and based on what we know so far of the film production, there's already more than enough red flags to convince me this has as much chance of succeeding as me winning the lottery.

The director is totally wrong for this project and recent interviews indicate he has even less of a clue about what makes Dune than the pair of genetic defectives currently writing Dune trash. Misher has produced nothing but junk. Zetumer is Hollywood's new action writer hard-on and the last person who should be writing a Dune script. And last but not least, Paramount can see nothing but sales potential by exploiting the environmental subtext of the book for today's enviro-nazi consumer. Wrong, more wrong and even more wrong.

Based on the information released thus far, I'm calling this one a dud. At worst, an embarrassingly bad failure of epic proportions; at best, a fabulously mediocre movie that some will be quick to call a cut above the rest simply because Frank Herbert's story premise is still very unique and creative to this day.

Obviously, most ardent supporters of this new Dune adaptation would be quick to point out how arrogantly presumptuous it is for me to declare this film a write-off before it's even entered production. But in my mind, to dismiss the blatantly obvious would show a lack credible judgment. When Liv Tyler was cast as Arwen, we all groaned but we had faith because the whole cast was great, Jackson had some legitimate skill and they were making it damn long like it should be. When Daniel Craig was cast as Bond, we were all skeptical, but we were still hopeful because the director was solid, the script was tight and the focus on character sounded like a refreshing change for the franchise. The new Dune film hasn't just made one mistake or even only two; so far it's an epic fail on every major decision. They only need to cast Vin Diesel and the last nail in the coffin can be hammered down.

Sad part is, I was all for a new Dune film when discussions were going on. But once they started nailing down the production choices, it went from bad, to worse to galactically stupid, and it did it all before a single frame was ever shot.

Traveling without moving indeed! :)
Last edited by GamePlayer on Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
A Thing of Eternity

Considering I've heard Berg twice now say that Dune is really just a great action story I'm going to have to agree with you, not exactly the best choice for a quality Dune adaptation - however, from the point of view of someone who doesn't give a shit about Dune and just wants to make $, the move to make it a dumbass action movie with giant worms is probably a good idea. Lets be honest, the average consumer will not grasp Dune, they will however grasp big explosions, worms, lasers, and shell out cash. Nobody decided to make this film to make art, they decided to make it to make cash, and nothing else. To them, it's just a nice bonus if it actually has artistic integrity.

Maybe that's a bit judgemental for not actually knowing anyone involvd in the descision to film this, but I think it's probably not far off.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Considering I've heard Berg twice now say that Dune is really just a great action story I'm going to have to agree with you, not exactly the best choice for a quality Dune adaptation - however, from the point of view of someone who doesn't give a shit about Dune and just wants to make $, the move to make it a dumbass action movie with giant worms is probably a good idea. Lets be honest, the average consumer will not grasp Dune, they will however grasp big explosions, worms, lasers, and shell out cash. Nobody decided to make this film to make art, they decided to make it to make cash, and nothing else. To them, it's just a nice bonus if it actually has artistic integrity.

Maybe that's a bit judgemental for not actually knowing anyone involvd in the descision to film this, but I think it's probably not far off.
If i didn't know i was reading a thread about the movie, what you just wrote would fit the new books perfectly... :wink:
Neutrinos watch alert !

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

On the old PowerBook I had a mammoth folder entitled "Arrakis Dune" in which just about everything Dune-related ended up in. I've copied it over onto the new machine and have been dividing the content into a more rationally organized new folder hierarchy.

Among the interesting files that have turned up was the .mov file of the Spanish fan film. It was really nice to watch it again, even if the quality of the copy I have ain't the best.

A faithful-to-the-books movie version made with love for the art...we're not going to see that out of Hollywood anytime soon. :(
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I wonder how those guys are doing?

chanilover

Post by chanilover »

SandChigger wrote:On the old PowerBook I had a mammoth folder entitled "Arrakis Dune" in which just about everything Dune-related ended up in. I've copied it over onto the new machine and have been dividing the content into a more rationally organized new folder hierarchy.

Among the interesting files that have turned up was the .mov file of the Spanish fan film. It was really nice to watch it again, even if the quality of the copy I have ain't the best.

A faithful-to-the-books movie version made with love for the art...we're not going to see that out of Hollywood anytime soon. :(
Hypothetically speaking, wouldn't it be great if there were an area of a forum restricted to members only where that could be uploaded, to stop undeserving eyes from seeing it and stirring up shit?
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

What he said. Hhypothetically.
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

-Rimmer’s farewell speech
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I considered that once before but nobody was interested. Im glad to consider it again, though. Perhaps after the board crashing this week? That will give me a little time to weed out all the DN shitheads that may decide to show up this weekend.

Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

When Daniel Craig was cast as Bond,
Being a Craig fan, this news made perfect sense to me. He's the best Bond since Connery. Maybe better.

So how would one go about getting a looksee at that .mov. You know, so i can go on DN and point out all the inconsistencies and corruptions in the script.

Okay okay i just want to see more of Chani. Cause she's hot!
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Considering I've heard Berg twice now say that Dune is really just a great action story I'm going to have to agree with you, not exactly the best choice for a quality Dune adaptation - however, from the point of view of someone who doesn't give a shit about Dune and just wants to make $, the move to make it a dumbass action movie with giant worms is probably a good idea. Lets be honest, the average consumer will not grasp Dune, they will however grasp big explosions, worms, lasers, and shell out cash. Nobody decided to make this film to make art, they decided to make it to make cash, and nothing else. To them, it's just a nice bonus if it actually has artistic integrity.

Of course commercial interests are first and fore most. Hollywood is a business after all, not an endless pit of money.

The greatest films succeed by finding that balance between the needs of the commercial machine and the needs of the artform. The tragedy is that the vast majority are in it for the buck and couldn't care less about balancing artistic merit. For my part, all I can see is commercial interests in this new Dune picture and nothing more.

Purge

Post by Purge »

They only need to cast Vin Diesel and the last nail in the coffin can be hammered down.
LOL, I think he is too busy doing Hannibal. What's next, Arnold as Bar Kochba?
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Amanda Plummer as a young Norma.

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

How about Amy Adams as Jessica:

~Leto II, God Emperor
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

she looks a little to "Disney" for the role...

Director Christopher Nolan(characters) & Peter Jackson(scenes effects).

Scratch that: Guillermo Del Toro, Alfonso Cuarón, and Alejandro González Iñárritu. They are very good friends so they could pull it off.

I still say Jet Li for Duncan. It works, you know it does. Except for the curly hair.

Ian McShane would make a perfect Baron.

Collin Farrel for Shaddam. Not Kidding.

David Warner as Thufir
David Suchet as Count Fenring.
Tcheky Karyo as Gurney

Alan Tudyk as Feyd-Rautha. A villian and an action character might be a bit of a stretch for the guy who played Wash in Firefly...but i think he could pull this off. Peter Sarsgaard otherwise. Brad Pitt could do it, but he's to old.
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Ampoliros wrote:she looks a little to "Disney" for the role...
I dunno, she looks like she could talk me into a new religion. :wink:

~Leto II, God Emperor
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I didn't say she wasn't...persuasive

Return to “Dune Talk”