New Dune Movie

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

New Dune Movie

Post by Omphalos »

The new Dune movie's producers are in negotiations with a writer, and it does not look good. Who the fuck is this guy? Other than the one thing listed on his profile, he has a pending credit writing on something called The Infiltrator, and did some "production work," (apparently without credit) on the upcoming Bond film called Quantum of Solace (the rumor is that he polished it).

Here is a Variety article about him.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Are you also thinking, a young (26) unknown screenwriter who BIG WRITERS Kevin and Brian can intimidate?

Hell, how can you know that Kevin isn't going to be the one writing it and they're just bringing this guy in as a front?

(Wait and see: It's gonna suh-uhck!)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I'm going to maintain somewhat high hopes on this one, mostly just because I honestly need something good to come out of Dune right now. As long a there is no sound lasers, or outdoor sietch's (mini series, damn did they ever miss that point) I thin they'd be off to a good start.
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

I was listening to the Audio Rennaisance Dune audio book recently and came to the conclusion that there's too much thinking in Dune for it to make a good movie.

It would take a writter better than FH to pull it off.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Dune will never fully work as a movie, now say an 3-4 parter on HBO could be done.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:Are you also thinking, a young (26) unknown screenwriter who BIG WRITERS Kevin and Brian can intimidate?

Hell, how can you know that Kevin isn't going to be the one writing it and they're just bringing this guy in as a front?

(Wait and see: It's gonna suh-uhck!)
This is exactly what is going to happen. We're going to see some big time Dune Explosions. They'll probably drag the hunter-seeker scene out for about 15 minutes with fancy special effects.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

If the casting is put together as well as the potential scriptwriting team, this thread is gonna get a lot longer. :wink:

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Wait and see...BIG time. :wink:
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

A Thing of Eternity

I think it might work if split up into Dune, Muad'dib and The Prophet. Would probably help with the other way to spell prophet too. :wink:

I'm not gonna hold my breath on that one though.
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

As soon as I found out that P&tB were involved I lowered my expectations.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Never heard of him. I knew Paramount would bring in their own writers to work on the script and this choice sounds awful so far. That Variety article is a standard BS-agent tell-nothing interview. Reading between the lines, he's some hot, nouveau hip studio boy screen writer specializing in action flicks; exactly the kind of thing a good Dune movie DOESN'T need.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Mandy wrote:As soon as I found out that P&tB were involved I lowered my expectations.
Ditto.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Sucka-sucka-sucka-sucka-sucka-sucka-chaMEEEEleon!

It's gonna blow...it's GOnna BLOW-oh-oh-oh!
:P

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Bug George?

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

And Clutcher Grub, yes! :D

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Here is some stuff from Berg about the new Dune movie. This is from July 8th. Im still not feeling too good about this:
THR: "Dune" is in some ways an ideological work, at least for the people who read the novel as a metaphor for relying too much on Middle Eastern oil. How much do you want your version to pick up on those themes?

Berg: There is a sense in the book that the commodity is driving the train. But I don't want to hang the story on that. I read the book and really liked it. What I never saw in Lynch's film was a really strong adventure story. There's a much more muscular time to be had there.

About Hancock:
But what I like is that although it's a superhero movie, at its core it's about a man seeking redemption, a man looking to tap into a higher version of himself disguised as a superhero movie.
Uni-dimensional ideas and missing part of the point? Hmmmmm.

There is more there from July 9th, but you have to pay out the ass to see the whole thing by subscribing for hundreds of dollars per year. Oh well. Im pretty sure he would say something like "Ultimately Dune is f***ing cool. The Cylons were my favorite part. But not the aardvark."

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Quote:
THR: "Dune" is in some ways an ideological work, at least for the people who read the novel as a metaphor for relying too much on Middle Eastern oil. How much do you want your version to pick up on those themes?

Berg: There is a sense in the book that the commodity is driving the train. But I don't want to hang the story on that. I read the book and really liked it. What I never saw in Lynch's film was a really strong adventure story. There's a much more muscular time to be had there.
Hmmm...and i thought that Lynch's version was already on the "adventure" side...something tells me we are gonna see a lot of worms eating a lot of Sardaukar... :roll:
Neutrinos watch alert !

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

OH, fooking kewl, mun! 8)

I'm really getting psyched for this movie. IT'S GONNA BE GREAT! :twisted:

Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:OH, fooking kewl, mun! 8)

I'm really getting psyched for this movie. IT'S GONNA BE GREAT! :twisted:
You know it! :D
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Dood! :D

Don't you get tired of all these sourpuss naysayers, like that Omph guy, always moaning about it? IT'S GONNA BE SOOOO FRICKIN' KEWL!

Berg Roolz! He's my G:!:D now! Just wait till Paul flips that sandworm through the air and takes out a whole FLEET of Harkonnen insectoid ornithopters! :D

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

But seriously...

What the sam fook is a "much more muscular time" supposed to mean?

Is he going to try to outdo the mini-series "return to undies in sietch" bit and treat us to a Turkish bath & wrestling scene with clouds of steam and oiled bodies or something?

Ooh! :shock:

(Btw, just had an ad for Hancock play on the tube. How timely. :roll: )

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:But seriously...

I honestly think that means that since so few people really understand what is going on in that book that he gets to "stretch his muscles" as a director and do whatever the hell he wants. Really, I think that is what that means.

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

It's an air raid warning going off while the company commander yells; "This film is going to suck!!!"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Star Dust

Post by Star Dust »

I think this film will be poop-like.
DN banned: Sep 14, 2008
==================
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Or it means that he has no idea what the book is about, so he has no idea what the film will be like. Though in that case I guess we can count on wierding modules and pretty, pretty hats.

A Thing of Eternity

:cry:
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Star Dust wrote:I think this film will be poop-like.
YOU are not alone.

Well, look on the bright side:

I least we'll be able to dabble our fingers in it and write on the walls! :D

And there's always THE THROWING. :twisted:

Purge

Post by Purge »

I agree, that quote provided doesn't sound too promising. Dune is much more talk than walk when it comes to action. Not that there isn't any, but the behind the scenes politicing far outweights the actual "action".
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:

Or it means that he has no idea what the book is about, so he has no idea what the film will be like. Though in that case I guess we can count on wierding modules and pretty, pretty hats.
Please god, no hats... :cry:

~Leto II, God Emperor
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:

Please god, no hats... :cry:
Hehe, I figured that was making you nervous Freak!

I just hope they leave out any of their fill-in-the-blanks shit. But I think we all know the skinny here--if I may quote our site owner here--this movie is going to "suck soiled ass." :cry:
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

You know, I'm not against hats. I don't like to wear them but it pisses me of when people don't know or show hat ettiquete...

The Rules..

There are two degrees of politeness demonstrated by a gentleman wearing a hat:
1.Lifting or tipping it, which you generally do for strangers.
2.Taking it off, which you generally do for friends (or in some cases, as a sign of patriotism or reverence).
Both are done as a sign of respect toward the other and dignity toward oneself.

Tipping your hat is a conventional gesture, done by barely lifting it off your head with your right hand (or the left hand if the right hand is occupied): By the crown of a soft hat, or the brim of a stiff one. Your cigarette, pipe or cigar should always be taken out of your mouth before removing or tipping your hat. This is a subtle gesture that should not be confused with bowing.

A man takes off his hat outdoors (and indoors):
(1) when he is being introduced to someone, or when saying goodbye to a woman, elder, friend or ;
(2) as a greeting when passing someone he knows, particularly a lady, on the street (In some cases, tipping or lifting a hat and bowing slightly may be used as a substitute for removing a hat, as a passing gesture);
(3) while talking, particularly with a woman, an older man, or a clergyman;
(4) while the National Anthem is being played, or the American Flag is passing;
(5) at a funeral or in the presence of a passing funeral procession,
(6) when speaking to another of a virtuous woman or a dearly departed loved one.

A man tips or lifts his hat:
(1) when walking with a friend who passes a woman only the friend knows;
(2) any time a lady who is a stranger thanks you for some service or assistance;
(3) any time you excuse yourself to a woman stranger, such as if you accidentally disturb or jostle her in a crowd, or when you ask for pardon when passing in a tight space or when forced to walk between two people that are conversing, particularly if one is a woman;
(4) any time a stranger shows courtesy to a woman you are accompanying, such as when a man or woman picks up something she has dropped, or a man opens a door for her or gives her his seat;
(5) when you ask a woman (or an elderly man) for directions.

Indoors, a man should always remove his hat, (particularly in a home, church, courtroom or restaurant) except:
(1) in some public buildings or public places such as railroad stations or post offices;
(2) in the main parlor area of a saloon or general store;
(3) or while seated at the "lunch counter" of a diner or cafe;
(4) in entrance halls and corridors of office buildings, or hotels;
(5) in elevators of public or office buildings, unless a woman is present;
(6) if carrying packages, parcels or bags and both hands are occupied upon entry.
(7) If the man is an actor or performer and the hat is being worn as a part of a costume or performance.

If in doubt, it is best for a gentleman to remove his hat indoors as soon as practical.
It is considered a sign of contempt and/or disrespect to leave your hat on when it would be proper to remove it. It is surprising how many people do not remove their hats for the National Anthem or a passing funeral procession.. a shame really.

Leaving your hat on in court is commonly taken as an outward sign of contempt and disrespect toward the court, the judge and the proceedings that is taken very seriously by the judge and bailifs. Whether it is posted or not, do yourself a favor and take your hat off and leave it off when you are in any courtroom, any time, for any reason. Don't say you weren't warned!

Sorry, that's been bugging me.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

In the future, the rules of hats are changed, my good man. This was a result of the war started by Manion Butler, haberdasher to the machine empire and dresser of Erasmus.

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:In the future, the rules of hats are changed, my good man. This was a result of the war started by Manion Butler, haberdasher to the machine empire and dresser of Erasmus.
Ahh... that's obviously how people not wearing enough hats is tied to the meaning of life.

I've been wondering about that for a long time.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Freakzilla wrote:You know, I'm not against hats. I don't like to wear them but it pisses me of when people don't know or show hat ettiquete...
You know, I'm not against hats. I don't like to wear them but it pisses me off when some people come up with silly random "rules" not based in any kind of logic and expect other people to automatically follow them. :P

Really, what business is it of anyone what particular articles of clothing someone else wears indoors or outdoors, or in what manner they choose to greet someone, whether it's tipping a hat or saying "hello"? People just need to mind their own fucking business. :roll:

:lol:
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Naw, ya mus' unnastan that Mr. Freak here, he's from da Sout. Da Dirdy Sout, ta be precise. An in da Dirdy Sout, dey got rules. An ya caint jes go voilatin da rules all higgedly-piggedly like. He's jest trian to infoam all-us-all philistines, so say thankee-sir, and button dat mouth a yoas up now, ya hear? :P

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:Naw, ya mus' unnastan that Mr. Freak here, he's from da Sout. Da Dirdy Sout, ta be precise. An in da Dirdy Sout, dey got rules. An ya caint jes go voilatin da rules all higgedly-piggedly like. He's jest trian to infoam all-us-all philistines, so say thankee-sir, and button dat mouth a yoas up now, ya hear? :P
YEAH! :P

~Leto II, God Emperor
orald

Post by orald »

Star Dust wrote:I think this film will be poop-like.
Err...so you're going to LIKE it, Spicelon? :?
"Brian! Brian! Brian!" goes the refrain. "A million deaths were not enough for Brian!"

I'm awake! God help me, I'm awake!
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Omphalos wrote:In the future, the rules of hats are changed, my good man. This was a result of the war started by Manion Butler, haberdasher to the machine empire and dresser of Erasmus.
:lol: :lol:
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Naw, ya mus' unnastan that Mr. Freak here, he's from da Sout. Da Dirdy Sout, ta be precise. An in da Dirdy Sout, dey got rules. An ya caint jes go voilatin da rules all higgedly-piggedly like. He's jest trian to infoam all-us-all philistines, so say thankee-sir, and button dat mouth a yoas up now, ya hear? :P
Hmmm.... I seem to have been in a rather pissy mood yesterday.

Pard'n me for insultin' da Etiquette of da Sout, Mr. Freak. Deepest apologies and all that. :D
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Liege-Killer wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Hmmm.... I seem to have been in a rather pissy mood yesterday.

Pard'n me for insultin' da Etiquette of da Sout, Mr. Freak. Deepest apologies and all that. :D
Actually, my first exposure to hat ettiquete was in the US Army, so it's not a Southern thing.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Southern people wear hats inside all the time. :?
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Phaedrus wrote:Southern people wear hats inside all the time. :?
Yes, and it's rude.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Most of the forms of social etiquette have been thrown out. I'm still shocked to hear people cuss in front of my mom or grandma.
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

I think the increase in the population may have something to do with it. I mean, you can't tip your hat and say hello to EVERY person you pass anymore. What if you lived in Manhattan? I remember about 10 years ago it was rude not to say hi to strangers as you pass, now almost nobody does it. I at least try to smile.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Star Dust

Post by Star Dust »

Concerning hats: I think what it means to wear a hat has nothing to do with what it used to, and I don't think that is necessarily a negative reflection on a changing society.
DN banned: Sep 14, 2008
==================
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Star Dust wrote:Concerning hats: I think what it means to wear a hat has nothing to do with what it used to, and I don't think that is necessarily a negative reflection on a changing society.
i think that's a good point. Hats used to be status symbols and therefore had certain etiquette associated with them to substantiate that status.

Now hats are used either to associate with groups larger than oneself, show fandom, etc.
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Or to keep the sun out our your eyes :P
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

I see we're going to be seeing a lot of that, eh. :)

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Yeah, got a double hitter this evening :)

Mandy

Post by Mandy »

:)
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Freakzilla wrote:You know, I'm not against hats. I don't like to wear them but it pisses me of when people don't know or show hat ettiquete...

The Rules..

There are two degrees of politeness demonstrated by a gentleman wearing a hat:
1.Lifting or tipping it, which you generally do for strangers.
2.Taking it off, which you generally do for friends (or in some cases, as a sign of patriotism or reverence).
Both are done as a sign of respect toward the other and dignity toward oneself.

Tipping your hat is a conventional gesture, done by barely lifting it off your head with your right hand (or the left hand if the right hand is occupied): By the crown of a soft hat, or the brim of a stiff one. Your cigarette, pipe or cigar should always be taken out of your mouth before removing or tipping your hat. This is a subtle gesture that should not be confused with bowing.

A man takes off his hat outdoors (and indoors):
(1) when he is being introduced to someone, or when saying goodbye to a woman, elder, friend or ;
(2) as a greeting when passing someone he knows, particularly a lady, on the street (In some cases, tipping or lifting a hat and bowing slightly may be used as a substitute for removing a hat, as a passing gesture);
(3) while talking, particularly with a woman, an older man, or a clergyman;
(4) while the National Anthem is being played, or the American Flag is passing;
(5) at a funeral or in the presence of a passing funeral procession,
(6) when speaking to another of a virtuous woman or a dearly departed loved one.

A man tips or lifts his hat:
(1) when walking with a friend who passes a woman only the friend knows;
(2) any time a lady who is a stranger thanks you for some service or assistance;
(3) any time you excuse yourself to a woman stranger, such as if you accidentally disturb or jostle her in a crowd, or when you ask for pardon when passing in a tight space or when forced to walk between two people that are conversing, particularly if one is a woman;
(4) any time a stranger shows courtesy to a woman you are accompanying, such as when a man or woman picks up something she has dropped, or a man opens a door for her or gives her his seat;
(5) when you ask a woman (or an elderly man) for directions.

Indoors, a man should always remove his hat, (particularly in a home, church, courtroom or restaurant) except:
(1) in some public buildings or public places such as railroad stations or post offices;
(2) in the main parlor area of a saloon or general store;
(3) or while seated at the "lunch counter" of a diner or cafe;
(4) in entrance halls and corridors of office buildings, or hotels;
(5) in elevators of public or office buildings, unless a woman is present;
(6) if carrying packages, parcels or bags and both hands are occupied upon entry.
(7) If the man is an actor or performer and the hat is being worn as a part of a costume or performance.

If in doubt, it is best for a gentleman to remove his hat indoors as soon as practical.
It is considered a sign of contempt and/or disrespect to leave your hat on when it would be proper to remove it. It is surprising how many people do not remove their hats for the National Anthem or a passing funeral procession.. a shame really.

Leaving your hat on in court is commonly taken as an outward sign of contempt and disrespect toward the court, the judge and the proceedings that is taken very seriously by the judge and bailifs. Whether it is posted or not, do yourself a favor and take your hat off and leave it off when you are in any courtroom, any time, for any reason. Don't say you weren't warned!

Sorry, that's been bugging me.
News on the home front:

Man Stabbs Son for Wearing Hat in Church

You go, dad!

~Leto II, God Emperor
Himachil

Post by Himachil »

I feel educated. All I need now is a proper hat.
And that, children, is how the little bunny rabbit got his fluffy white tail.

As a minimum, we must demand from SF that it be wiser than the world it speaks to.
--Darko Suvin; On the Poetics of the Science Fiction Genre
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Himachil wrote:
I feel educated. All I need now is a proper hat.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Re: New Dune Movie

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

The book is dense and chock full of witches and wicked battles, religion and ginormous sand worms that either barf or poop a substance that makes you immortal and completely blue eyed. It’s hot on Dune or Arrakis and so expect very scantily clad Sci-Fi females.
:doh:

Do these morons EVER get anything right? :roll:

A Thing of Eternity

WTF?
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:
The book is dense and chock full of witches and wicked battles, religion and ginormous sand worms that either barf or poop a substance that makes you immortal and completely blue eyed. It’s hot on Dune or Arrakis and so expect very scantily clad Sci-Fi females.
:doh:

Do these morons EVER get anything right? :roll:
To be fair, that was the blogger's take. But I'll be he ain't far off.

Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

It’s hot on Dune or Arrakis and so expect very scantily clad Sci-Fi females.
Can't wait to see the new stillsuit bikini. :lol=:
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Liege-Killer wrote:
It’s hot on Dune or Arrakis and so expect very scantily clad Sci-Fi females.
Can't wait to see the new stillsuit bikini. :lol=:
Where do you think the catch-pockets will be?

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Well ... that's put me off my feed for a good week or two.

:hand:
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

My eyes!

~Leto II, God Emperor

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”