Klaatu Reeves

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Klaatu Reeves

Post by Omphalos »

I really and truly hope that this thing sucks so very badly and does so terribly at the box office that they actually sit down and rethink about how marketing and making movies for the dumbest of us all is a loser of a way to do business.

But probably not. Oh well.

Scroll down for the trailer
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Yeah, looks like there is gonna be a morale about the environment (again) :roll:

I'm so happy we have movies like this that reminds us we are wasting are ressources and the result of this is

Fucking gas prices !!! :x
Neutrinos watch alert !

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

I won't pay directly to see this thing. I've thought it was a STUPID IDEA from the time I first heard about it. (From you, Omph, here, or on one of the boards, IIRC.)

All this crap about the environment is just so much more sucky-sucky-up-up-up lip service.

I hate the fact that we have been so fucking stupid over the decades since the First Oil Crisis. Maybe the pain we're feeling now will teach us a lesson.

Although I doubt it.

But I'm getting tired of environment themed movies. Probably what they're going to end up making of Dune as well. Feh. :roll:
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

What?

That looks nothing like the original movie. What a shitty thing to do to a good SF movie. :|
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

SandChigger wrote:IBut I'm getting tired of environment themed movies. Probably what they're going to end up making of Dune as well. Feh. :roll:
ditto
did anyone else see shyamalan's latest 'blockbuster' the happening?

***SPOILER***

basically if we don't start taking care of the environment, it's going to kill us to protect itself.... wtf ?!?!? killer grass?
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Keanu isn't as pretty as he used to be. I wonder if his acting skills have improved with age.. (I'm not counting on it)
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

He is looking older, isnt he? That was the first thing I thought too.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

At the office today (with faster connection), so I'll have a look at the trailer and all later.

About the environmental shtuff:

Any of you remember a movie from DECADES ago about Mother Nature taking revenge on humankind for its sins? Can't remember the title, but it took place in Florida or Louisiana, in a swamp, with lots of creepy-crawlies. The movie poster featured a mega close-up of a frog with a human hand sticking out of its mouth. (And no, there weren't any giant frogs like that in the movie. I think someone did get done in by amphibians, but it was more of a Smother Brother kind of thang.) Ring any bells?
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:At the office today (with faster connection), so I'll have a look at the trailer and all later.

About the environmental shtuff:

Any of you remember a movie from DECADES ago about Mother Nature taking revenge on humankind for its sins? Can't remember the title, but it took place in Florida or Louisiana, in a swamp, with lots of creepy-crawlies. The movie poster featured a mega close-up of a frog with a human hand sticking out of its mouth. (And no, there weren't any giant frogs like that in the movie. I think someone did get done in by amphibians, but it was more of a Smother Brother kind of thang.) Ring any bells?
I can remember the poster, but not the name.

Mandy

Post by Mandy »

A quick google search came up with this http://www.pretty-scary.net/article213.html Look on the right side, there is a movie poster showing a frog with a hand sticking out of its mouth, the movie's name is... Frogs (1972).

lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPyNrLOt ... re=related
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
SandChigger wrote:IBut I'm getting tired of environment themed movies. Probably what they're going to end up making of Dune as well. Feh. :roll:
ditto
did anyone else see shyamalan's latest 'blockbuster' the happening?

***SPOILER***

basically if we don't start taking care of the environment, it's going to kill us to protect itself.... wtf ?!?!? killer grass?
:lol: Don't know any grass that kills, man! Just give you the munchies... :P
Last edited by Rakis on Wed May 06, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neutrinos watch alert !

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Rakis wrote:[

:lol: Don't know any grass that kills, man! Just give you the munchies... :P

:lol: :lol:
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Mandy wrote:A quick google search came up with this http://www.pretty-scary.net/article213.html Look on the right side, there is a movie poster showing a frog with a hand sticking out of its mouth, the movie's name is... Frogs (1972).

lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPyNrLOt ... re=related
That's it! :D

For the first link, got this:
Web Page Blocked

You have tried to access a web page which is in violation of your internet usage policy.

URL: www.pretty-scary.net/article213.html
Category: ?????????
(Category: Bad taste/Vulgar/Libelous) :D

Gawd...I'd forgotten how bad it was.

[hillbilly band plays "Frog on the phonograph, spinnin' round and round!"]

[telephone rings]

Ray Milland: Hello? Hello? ... HELLO?!!

Phone: Riddup. ... RIDdup. ... RIDDUP!!!

:lol:

Next week's matinee special: Vim Diesel in The Chronicles of Riddup!

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Do you have a nurse in your building? Give her a call. A nice nap in a dark room and an asprin may do you some good. :P

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Plthththt! :P

I just watched the trailer.

I AM SO PLEASED: this is gonna suck liquid shit!

Take the whole concept of the original and ... forget about it! :roll:

Looks like some righteous alien-wrought destruction there, huh. Did anyone besides the two(?) guards Gort zapped when he started his rampage die in the original?

I guess the reason for the alien intervention in this PoS will be "You won't be allowed to visit/colonize other planets if you can't be ecologically sound on your own!" Shit. :roll:

If I recall, Klaatu's message in the original was "You idiots can fight all you want to in your own backyard, but if you crawl over the fence and start pickin' fights in the neighbors' yards, we're gonna give you such a whoopin'", right? Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Nice SFX tho, huh? :lol:

(Nurse! Oh, Nursey Nurse! Where's she hidin' now? :? )

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Nice SFX tho, huh? :lol:
That is exactly the mentality I want to go bu-bye. I swear to god, its like the last fucking U.S. industry that is still centered here. And we have a bunch of asshole idiots running the place.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

:D

Hey ... the world is going to hell in a handbasket. Stop worrying and enjoy the ride!

(While it lasts. :shock: )

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote::D

Hey ... the world is going to hell in a handbasket. Stop worrying and enjoy the ride!

(While it lasts. :shock: )
There has got to be an end to the idiocy. How can more minds = less brains? I wonder if Ill ever figure that one out.

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

The more I think about this movie the angrier I become. What a crock. What a waste. What a sad, misguided perversion of something wonderful. Its like Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert joined the E.L.F. and together put this script together.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Ah, visions of Dune to come! :D

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

FIRST TRAILER SIGHTING!!! :(

Well...sort of. It was a really short one.

I was kinda dozing off in front of the tube and it seeped through and woke me up enough to see the last bit with some swirly grey fog ... doing swirly things and Keenu looking ... wooden as usual.

Nothing specific, but I got the "eco terro" vibe. :roll:

They flashed "12.19" in ominous big letters at the end of the preview; is that when it comes out back there in the real world, too?

What little I saw of the trailer has done nothing to change my initial fears about this one. Oh well. :roll:

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

I actually just watched The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951) last week for the first time. It was surprisingly engaging for such an old film with such awful special effects. Given the cold war message I can see why this film was very relevant during that time period. I can also see why the new crew of the remake went with Keanu Reeves after seeing Michael Rennie in the original; Reeves has a similar look to Rennie (very tall, narrow features, kinda weird looking). Though I doubt very much Reeves will give as interesting a performance. Reeves is much like Brad Pitt; both are cast more often on their look rather than on their talent. They may offer one or two actual "performances" in their entire careers, but they're both pretty uninspiring as actors.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I watched a bit of the Seahawks/Dallas game on Thanksgiving Day and noticed the trailer running a few times. I wonder if they will plaster it everywhere in the weeks before release?

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

I begin to suspect so.

I seem to have gotten onto a 20th Century Fox mailing list somewhere; found this in the mail this morning:

"What will you save?" :roll:

And Gort lives? Ugh.

I suppose that thing in the air is the new ship. ??? So much for the more subtle, non-threatening saucer of the original, I guess.

Gonna suck, I'm betting.

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Gort looks a lot like Vision from the Avengers... :?
Neutrinos watch alert !

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah. I only caught a groggy glimpse of him (it?) in the trailer last night. WP has this pic:

Very sinister looking. But it sounds like it fits. From the WP page on the remake:
A representative of an alien race that went through drastic evolution to survive its own climate change, Klaatu (Keanu Reeves) comes to Earth to assess whether humanity can prevent the environmental damage they have inflicted on their own planet. Klaatu himself already has a negative opinion of humans, and when barred from speaking to the United Nations, he decides they shall be exterminated so the planet – with its rare ability to sustain complex life – can survive. It is up to Dr. Helen Benson (Jennifer Connelly) and her stepson Jacob (Jaden Smith) to convince Klaatu humans are worth saving, but it may already be too late.
Fuck.

Or rather: WHO THE FUCK DO THE ALIENS THINK THEY ARE?

I knew it was going to be a stupid, preachy eco-flick, but this really does a disservice to the memory of the original and the more mature attitude of its aliens. ("You can fuck up and kill each other all you want; just keep it on your own planet.") This Kleatnu is no better than the covertly reterraforming aliens in The Arrival, with their "If you can't take care of your own planet, you don't deserve to have it."

I like to think that people could come away from the original with food for thought. What will people come away with from this PoS? :roll:

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Sorry to double post, but the trailer just played again. Didn't catch the line exactly, but at the beginning Jennifer Connelly says something like

"Why are you doing this to our planet?"

And Kleatnu archly replies, "Your planet?"

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. I fucking hate that attitude. (Get that? :P ) Yes, OUR planet. We crawled and clawed and gnawed our way to the top of the foodchain and that's why we have "DOMINION ... over all the earth" instead of all the fucking cute little fuzzy-wuzzies and the daffodils.

GRRRRRRRRR. :evil:

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Sorry to double post, but the trailer just played again. Didn't catch the line exactly, but at the beginning Jennifer Connelly says something like

"Why are you doing this to our planet?"

And Kleatnu archly replies, "Your planet?"

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. I fucking hate that attitude. (Get that? :P ) Yes, OUR planet. We crawled and clawed and gnawed our way to the top of the foodchain and that's why we have "DOMINION ... over all the earth" instead of all the fucking cute little fuzzy-wuzzies and the daffodils.

GRRRRRRRRR. :evil:
Exactly what I came here to post. I heard this tonight as I was watching STTNG episodes my DVR has caught recently.

Maybe the idea is that they terraformed the planet and put us here? Something stupid like that? You're probably right though. The crickets have rights too, man.

Himachil

Post by Himachil »

I think you could include the fuzzy-wuzzies and the daffodils in the word "our" - Terran lifeforms of the world unite an all :) How else would you put it.
And that, children, is how the little bunny rabbit got his fluffy white tail.

As a minimum, we must demand from SF that it be wiser than the world it speaks to.
--Darko Suvin; On the Poetics of the Science Fiction Genre
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah, let's give them a vote in the World Congress, right? "Who speaks for Earth" and all that crap.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not for the wanton destruction of the natural environment or anything, but the possibility that the wingnut tree-and-cricket-hugger faction have found a voice in this "reimaging" of a wonderful old film just pisses me off. After hearing that bit from the trailer and rereading the synopsis from WP, I'm even more dubious.

An alien race fucks up their planet, too, but manages to survive. That's nice, but what right does that give them to meddle in anyone else's business? All I'm getting is the same ole "Might makes right" bullshit: we survived and we have the superior technology, so you die.

Does that make any fucking sense whatsoever?

Sounds like the aliens survived physically, but lost any sort of capacity for empathy or sympathy they might have had. You would think their own experience would predispose them to try to help humanity rather than exterminate us, no? They sound even more childish than we are; Kleatnu gets turned away from the UN so he decides to kill over six billion (sort of) sentient beings? It's been a few months since I saw the original, but I seem to remember that Klaatu was able to speak only to a small group, of just egghead scientists IIRC.

Urk, the WP article says Reeves provided input on the script. ... That can't be a good thing.

Agh, gonna suck.

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

I must say I'm tiring of all these heavy handed environmental messages in my film. The worst part is they've infected so many for years and they are just starting to gain steam in the mainstream, which means this is likely just the beginning of a fad that will play out for at least 10 years. Or it'll least until the enviro-Nazis have their own children and they rebel against this shit. I should be in my mid-40s by then. How depressing :(

I'm also quite insulted that someone would equate what was a film originally about nuclear devastation with climate change, as if the two compare in any way, shape or form.

Well, it's like I've always said, environmentalism is the new fundamentalism. The arrogant, self-righteous know-it-alls have defeated religion only to fill that gap with equally enraging sermons preaching how they know what's good for me when it comes to climate change.

I weep for humanity :(

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

GamePlayer wrote:I weep for humanity :(
Loves my playyah in DramaQ mode. :lol:

But, yeah, I'm well past sick of the NVN ('Nviro-Nazi?) BS.

(Till you're in your [imagine you know who typing this sentence] mid-forties? Sheesh...I'll be pushing up daffodils and getting shat on by fuzzies then! :shock: )

Edit: I put on my new racist hat while driving down the road (being surrounded by Japanese drivers can do that to you! :P ) and another reason why the aliens in this version are so wrong occurred to me: what about all the poor little multihued people who really have played no part in our degradation of the environment? Is it fair that they be exterminated as well? Why not just take out the most egregious offenders and help those left to construct a "greener" civilization?

Unless, of course, the point is: they want our planet for themselves? ;)

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Why not just take out the most egregious offenders and help those left to construct a "greener" civilization?
Maybe there's a subplot in the film about Greenpeace saving the world ?!

That would be so fucking cheesy...

Damn Envirotard !! :x
Neutrinos watch alert !

Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

SandChigger wrote:Urk, the WP article says Reeves provided input on the script. ... That can't be a good thing.
I heard he fought for including the "Klaatu Barada Nikto" phrase, which had been left out. Hopefully that's the extent of his input. Then again, how much worse could he do than the other people involved?
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:what about all the poor little multihued people
Who are they? Do we have to hate each hue seperately?
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

"A pink-ish hue? There's a hue." :)

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Freakzilla wrote:
No, but unless you keep them separate until the rinse cycle, or use lots of cold water, they tend to run together....

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

SandChigger wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
No, but unless you keep them separate until the rinse cycle, or use lots of cold water, they tend to run together....

wow... so many horribly awesome jokes could be made based on that comment....
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

:D

Careful, lest the odor of racism attach itself to you! ;)

(Decisions, decisions...do I have time to check in on Jacurutu again and see how black I've been painted? Dear dear dear.... :P )

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

SandChigger wrote::D

Careful, lest the odor of racism attach itself to you! ;)

(Decisions, decisions...do I have time to check in on Jacurutu again and see how black I've been painted? Dear dear dear.... :P )
I thought everything was ok with Lisan? :?

Oh...you mean Simon, perhaps?
Neutrinos watch alert !

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah, I mean Simon.

I hope everything is really OK again with Lisan. I honestly didn't mean to offend him or anyone else on the board, and certainly not the whole of South America.

(I didn't post this over on Jacurutu at the time, because I thought it would just add further insult to the injury, but I wasn't thinking of South Americans as "Latinos". Sure, they're "Latin Americans", Latins, speak Spanish or Portuguese and have ancestors from Spain and Portugal, but in my head "Latino" refers to a different group of people. I figured it was simply my skewed view of things/use of the language, but now I'm not so sure: checking my Dictionary app, I find that it defines "Latino" as "a Latin American inhabitant of the United States." Does anyone else use the word exclusively in this way? Maybe a bit of a mismatch between usage in the languages? Because it's obvious Lisan thinks of himself as a "Latino".

Understand, I'm not trying to excuse my fuck-up, just to understand.)

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Ah, don't worry about it...

Lisan said he was cool with ya after you explained...

He should know you feel bad about it...

I use Latinos with any one living south of Canada... :)
Neutrinos watch alert !

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

As a speaker of a Latin-derived language, you could also be a Latino, I suppose, no? ;)

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

SandChigger wrote:As a speaker of a Latin-derived language, you could also be a Latino, I suppose, no? ;)
:shock:

Fook me, i'm latinos :)
Neutrinos watch alert !

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

So who were you referring to? :)
Last edited by GamePlayer on Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:. I figured it was simply my skewed view of things/use of the language, but now I'm not so sure: checking my Dictionary app, I find that it defines "Latino" as "a Latin American inhabitant of the United States." Does anyone else use the word exclusively in this way?
I do. I live in a heavily latino area, and that is how residents of South and Central American and Mexican descent use it here.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Sounds like a language difference at root. Interesting.

(Um, yes, GP, who exactly was Rakis talking to with that last...me?! :shock: )

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

SandChigger wrote:...talking to with that last...
Don't ask me :wink:

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

SandChigger wrote:Sounds like a language difference at root. Interesting.

(Um, yes, GP, who exactly was Rakis talking to with that last...me?! :shock: )
Nah...just thinking aloud...sorry :)

Off-topic : So Chigger, how long before you have a new theme on your Blog? I'm just asking, because i'm thinking to retrofit my PC to a Pentium 1 with Windows 95... :lol:
Neutrinos watch alert !

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Ooh, zee beetchy Freenchy-type Lateeno...he tasks me! He tasks me! And I shall satisfy him! I shall create a theme if I have to chase round the moons of Nibia and through the maelstrom of Antares and perdition's flames JUST TO SHUT HIM UP!!! :twisted:

:P

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

SandChigger wrote:Ooh, zee beetchy Freenchy-type Lateeno...he tasks me! He tasks me! And I shall satisfy him! I shall create a theme if I have to chase round the moons of Nibia and through the maelstrom of Antares and perdition's flames JUST TO SHUT HIM UP!!! :twisted:

:P
I'm just laughing at the superior intellect... :P
Neutrinos watch alert !

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

*Insert character who could not possibly have first person memory of Chig*

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Huh? :shock:

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Huh? :shock:
Star Trek II. Khan and Chekhov recognize one another, but the episode of TOS that Khan was in was in the first season and Chekhov was not a character yet. They could not have remembered one another.

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Omphalos wrote:
Star Trek II. Khan and Chekhov recognize one another, but the episode of TOS that Khan was in was in the first season and Chekhov was not a character yet. They could not have remembered one another.
:shock:

Yours is the superior Trekmind.

(I know, Rakis already used the line. I'M just getting up, haven't had coffee yet. Sue me. :P )

Oh yeah...

Saw a slightly different trailer last night....

You know, I've been thinking I would see this just so I could bitch about it, but now, nah, I don't think so. I'm not sure I could sit through it peacefully and not cause a public disturbance at the theater. Which would be pointless, because I fear most of the Japanese audience won't have seen (or even know about?) the original and would just wonder what the crazy gaijin was on about. (Gaijin are all crazy and always protesting something or other, after all.)

Another thought that struck me as the trailer was ending and the movie title slowly dissolved like the buildings and trucks (and people?) do in the gray smoke in the scenes from the movie: what the fuck does the title even mean in this new reimagining? The Day The Earth Stood Still? In the original it refers to the planet-wide power failure that Klaatu arranges to convince the group of scientists he's to meet that he and his kind have the superior technology and power he claims they do.

Ugh.

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

To hate a thing, you must know a thing. Im going to see it, and I may even go in with an open mind. But my spidey-sense is telling me its a piece of shit, and Im gonna hate it.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

I suppose I could leave my brain at home and just go watch it for the kewl SFX, man! :P

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

The best of both world : I will download the sucka... :)
Neutrinos watch alert !

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

:evil:
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

LOL :) I like that title :)

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

New KJA book? :|
Neutrinos watch alert !

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Keanu movie...same difference. ;)

SandRider
Judge of the Change

Post by SandRider »

Omphalos wrote:
Believe it or not, back in the 80's when I was dating that young girl
of which I told ya'll about last Halloween, I was drug by her to a Star
Trek convention - This was right before the New Show. The speaker
was Walter Koenig, and some geek asked that Khan question - Walter
obviously had heard it before, he had a stock speech ready about how
Chekhov had been in the head during that episode. Khan had to go
really, really bad, was banging on the door - when it opened Khan said
"That face ! I will never forget that face !" or some shit like that.

I remember seeing Koenig at the vendors booths, looking at prop
phasers and such - he had on the dirtiest pair of torn up jeans I'd
ever seen on a B-list Hollywood actor.
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

We did an employee showing last night and the tasteless wonders (aka employee's) were disappointed.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

DO elaborate, Robbo. Why were they disappointed? Not enough boom and ooh and ah? ;)

Omph posted this link over on my blog:

http://blogs.amctv.com/scifi-scanner/20 ... review.php

Sweet.

Being able to crow "I knew it!" always is! :D

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

We're getting a regular barrage of trailers now on my satellite channels. I haven't had the ground-based shit on for...well, forever...so I don't know what the local stations are doing. (But I asked some of my first-years if they'd heard about it after class last week and none of them seemed to have.)

I'd love to know if this is what they originally scheduled, or if they've upped the number of commercials because it seems to be tanking in the States. ;)

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Like I said over on your blog; Once the thing gobbles a few loads of DNA over here, its off to you foreigners to actually make some money.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

In one of the new trailers it looked very much like Klaateanu was resurrecting the little black kid (Will Smith's son, is he?), who evidently had gotten broken somehow.

I vomited a little into my mouth. :evil:

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Chig, they found it boring. i didn't watch it I watched Nothing Like the Holidays for Debra Messing and the hot chick who did the lapdance in Deathproof.

Rob
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Someone over on Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes, I forget which, kinda implied that the best CG/SFX were included in the trailer.

That's always a bad sign.

I'm assuming the preaching is what got to them? :lol:

chanilover

Post by chanilover »

It stinks. They're calling Keanu "The Actor Whose Face Stood Still"
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

I quote one of my favorite movie review sites (Montreal Film Journal):

"You know you have a problem when dialogue is so bad that it even drags Reeves' acting down"

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Some of the words they used to describe the movie: Dumb, boring, stupid. Considering that most of these kids idea of a good movie is The Fast & the Furious, you can see they have low expectations.

Rob
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

CL, I'll have to use that now, to replace "The Unmoving Block of Wood".

Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

SandChigger wrote:I vomited a little into my mouth. :evil:
Hope it was something tasty. :lol:
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I saw it in San Diego last night. It pretty much sucked. Id pay anything to stare at Jennifer Connely for a few hours. But other than that it blew. And they gave that little fidget Jaden Whatshisface way too much screen time.

Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Omphalos wrote:Id pay anything to stare at Jennifer Connely for a few hours.
Oh, you are definitely not alone in that! :mrgreen:
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Meh, I don't know...

They overplayed her face into the ground in a couple of commercials (can't recall what they were even for now) over here a few years back, before she really hit it big. So every time I see her, I think, "What, she acts, too?"

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Meh, I don't know...

They overplayed her face into the ground in a couple of commercials (can't recall what they were even for now) over here a few years back, before she really hit it big. So every time I see her, I think, "What, she acts, too?"
She was excellent in the House of Sand and Fog, so I think she has skill. I tell you what though; I think she is one of the most beautiful women acting today. Just a joy to look at.

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Connely is definitely a legitimate talent (Requiem for a Dream, Pollock, etc), unlike so many American actresses (Alba must die). Jennifer is also a more unconventional beauty, which I really appreciate in an era of feminine blandness in Hollywood. I wouldn't overstate her as one of the greatest actors that ever lived, but I am glad that she has had a solid career in the last 10 years. At least as an actress, she deserves success more than most.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Pity she ended up in this dawg then, eh.

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Connely's role in this turd is nothing. I'm still recovering from the shock of seeing Chow Yun Fat in a live action Dragonball film. WTF? :) :D

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Heh heh heh...someone brought this dawg up in my grad conversation class. :twisted:

They learned some new vocab I hadn't ever planned to teach them. ;)

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

GamePlayer wrote:I'm still recovering from the shock of seeing Chow Yun Fat in a live action Dragonball film. WTF? :) :D
My 11-year-old will be thrilled! He's probably over the Dragonball-Z stuff but he used to be really into it.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Omphalos wrote:She was excellent in the House of Sand and Fog, so I think she has skill. I tell you what though; I think she is one of the most beautiful women acting today. Just a joy to look at.
Agree on every point!

That was a good movie.

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”