The Persistence of Vision, by John Varley

Links to the book review pages
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

The Persistence of Vision, by John Varley

Post by Omphalos »

Though the utopian subtheme is popular in science fiction, I think it is right to say that most of the so called "utopia" books out there actually have a dystopic slant, in that most of the novels I am aware of tell the story of a failed utopia. That certainly is the kind of situation that lends itself to drama which of course, fiction is largely about, but after completing John Varley's The Persistence of Vision, I must say that if you have a neat enough idea, you can make a utopia tale work. This one suffers just a tiny bit because it...Please click here or on the cover above to be taken to the review.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
tanzeelat

Post by tanzeelat »

No mention of the other stories in the collection?
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

tanzeelat wrote:No mention of the other stories in the collection?
Ill get to them. I just read this novella before I went on vacation. I wanted to get it up before I forgot what I wanted to say. I looked for a pic of the novella-only binding, but couldnt find one, so I used the anthology cover. And if you look at the book review page title, it is marked as "novella," so I can distinguish teh collection when I do get it up.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page

Return to “Book Reviews”