Rocannon's World, by Ursula K. Le Guin

Links to the book review pages
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Rocannon's World, by Ursula K. Le Guin

Post by Omphalos »

There are only a very few authors about which I can honestly say, “they never cease to amaze me,” but Ursula K. Le Guin is one. I have read quite a few of her Hainish/Ekumen books, and without exception, they are incredible stories. This week’s book is Le Guin’s very first novel, the earliest Hainish novel, called Rocannon’s World. It is a very well written heroic fantasy with strong...Please click here or on the cover above to be taken to the review.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

I think I've mentioned before that I have Rocannon's World in the collection Three Hainish Novels and reread it a few summers back? Incredible how well they have held up...even after, what, twenty years? :)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

That actually is the collection that I have (the SFBC edition), but Amazon does not have a pic of it for me to hotlink to, so I went with this one that is the same thing, with a differnt title. I love the stories. Im already 1/2 way through the next one.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

Mandy

Post by Mandy »

I ordered some books the other day, and almost got that one (the collection). I ordered Lathe of Heaven instead.
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

damnit, both library systems i'm in doesn't have it. i'll have to get it from teh SFBC i think...
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

That three-in-one volume simultaneously contains my favorite Hainish novel (City of Illusion) and my least favorite (Rocannon's World).
Last edited by Liege-Killer on Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

The Phantom wrote:damnit, both library systems i'm in doesn't have it. i'll have to get it from teh SFBC i think...
There are two titles to check for, The Phantom. Look for "Three Hainish Novels," and "Worlds of Exile and Illusion." All three books were originally published on their own too, so look for "Rocannon's World," "Planet of Exile," and "City of Illusion."

Lots to check for, but they probably have it in one form or another.
Last edited by Omphalos on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Omphalos wrote:
The Phantom wrote:damnit, both library systems i'm in doesn't have it. i'll have to get it from teh SFBC i think...
There are two titles to check for, The Phantom. Look for "Three Hainish Novels," and "Worlds of Exile and Illusion." All three books were originally published on their own too, so look for "Rocannon's World," "Planet of Exile," and "City of Illusion."

Lots to check for, but they probably have it in one form or another.

well the system in my hometown doesn't have it, i had searched for all the titles and browsed their entire le guin collection. the other one has a couple copies of each but only on reserve so i'd have to drive clear across the city and read it in-house.

SFBC doesn't have it either. off to the used bookstores for me...

my girlfriend is a huge le guin fan and i've said i'll read her stuff sometime and after seeing your review i'm more inclined to read it

Return to “Book Reviews”