Good SF

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Good SF

Post by Omphalos »

Is anything good coming out lately, other than BSG (whenever the fuck that is supposed to start)? I just am not seeing much lately. And no, I dont wanna see Jumper.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Technically, all the super hero films are science fiction, though I don't think that's what you had in mind. I agree Jumper looks bloody awful. There's nothing on the radar of which I'm aware. Kinda sucks. Actually, sci-fi has been on kinda a low for a good number of years. BSG is the first series on television that I've liked in a loooong time. I think the last time I actually followed anything that wasn't cancelled on TV was mid 90's.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:Technically, all the super hero films are science fiction, though I don't think that's what you had in mind. I agree Jumper looks bloody awful. There's nothing on the radar of which I'm aware. Kinda sucks. Actually, sci-fi has been on kinda a low for a good number of years. BSG is the first series on television that I've liked in a loooong time. I think the last time I actually followed anything that wasn't cancelled on TV was mid 90's.
I agree with a lot of that, GamePlayer. Except for two shows, the first of which is Lost. That gets even more and more SF every episode, and I have ALWAYS loved that show. As for number two, ST:TNG (*DUCKING!*), seasons 5 and 6, which were awesome SF, I thought. Some of those episodes, like The Inner Light, and Masks I would put up against anything else any day of the week.

As for superhero movies, are you talking about Iron Man, which IIRC is coming up soon?

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Super heroes. Grrrrr. BAD SF at best. :twisted:

Unless the F is for Fantasy.

Hmm. Have I ragged on Last Daze of Krympei lately? :roll:
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

http://speedracerthemovie.warnerbros.com/cmp/main.html

I've wanted to do Trixie since I was like 8.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Ompf
Well, I despise Trek, so we'll leave that out. I'm not really sure how to classify Lost. I suppose it's sci-fi, but no one really knows what's going on. I dropped Lost and we already had a topic about that here on AU so I won't go repeating myself.

It's kinda sad to say, but comic book movies have become the new sci-fi. I had a feeling a movement like this was going to happen in mainstream film. I think The Matrix was the last sci-fi film to do really well commercially and then after that it sort of fell apart (excluding Wil Smith films, the Star Wars movies and Terminator 3). I did like Minority Report, but both AI and War of the Worlds were awful. Serenity was basically a fan film that performed poorly at the box office. Of course, I think the 2000s are notorious for some of the worst sci-fi bombs in history like Doom, Battlefield Earth, Final Fantasy The Spirits Within, et al.

Yes, Iron Man is coming up. I'm still on the fence with this one. It's possible it might be good, but Favreau is hit and miss. The one comic book movie to make sure you see this year is definitely The Dark Knight. Nolan is full of win (big fan here). There's also The Incredible Hulk, which sadly I have to go see because I'm a huge fan of Edward Norton. Hellboy 2 is this year (not a fan really, but I do respect Del Toro). X-Files 2 is coming out this year and Wanted will be here in March (starring Children of Dune star James McAvoy).

I'll say that while nothing really interesting is immediately coming up (sorry, wish I had better news), there are several really promising projects in the works:

The Road (2008)
Based on a novel by Cormac McCarthy, Pulitzer prize winning author of No Country for Old Men (good flick!) stars Viggo Mortensen in a post-apocalyptic story of a journey across a burned north america. Directed by John Hillcoat, responsible for the well made The Proposition

James Cameron's return to science fiction. It'll either rock or it'll be the biggest bomb in history.

Of course, I don't suppose I need to tell a fan like yourself about the new Star Trek (2009) movie. I may actually go see it, because I do still like and respect the original series, green women and all :)

SC
I've really enjoyed some of the super hero films, especially X-Men and Batman Begins. Course, the awful out numbers the good, but how would that be different from any other year? :)

Freak Z
I love it when anime goes live action in such a spectacularly bad way. It makes things so much easier for me when I try to turn a friend onto to a truly good anime :)

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

GamePlayer wrote:Freak Z
I love it when anime goes live action in such a spectacularly bad way. It makes things so much easier for me when I try to turn a friend onto to a truly good anime :)
I don't care what y'all say, Speed Racer was my hero when I was 7. I can't wait to see it.

:P
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

I didn't mean I don't enjoy watching movies like X-men or Spiderman, only that I'd like once in a while to see a REAL scifi movie that requires you to keep your brain revving, rather than turn it off. ;)

Gadzooks! I'm farting positrons! Look! I CAN FLY!!! UP, up, and...aw, whatever. :D
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Star Dust

Post by Star Dust »

Freakzilla wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:Freak Z
I don't care what y'all say, Speed Racer was my hero when I was 7. I can't wait to see it.

:P
I'm on board, Freak - bigtime! I've been wanting to do Trixie since before I knew I could do Trixie!! :D
DN banned: Sep 14, 2008
==================
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:The Road (2008)
Based on a novel by Cormac McCarthy, Pulitzer prize winning author of No Country for Old Men (good flick!) stars Viggo Mortensen in a post-apocalyptic story of a journey across a burned north america. Directed by John Hillcoat, responsible for the well made The Proposition

James Cameron's return to science fiction. It'll either rock or it'll be the biggest bomb in history.
Im aware of both of these, as well as Battle Angel (if that is still on the books) and I am looking forward to them.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Hadn't heard about Avatar, just read the WP page. 3-D huh?

Something about it being set only 200 years in the future and we're already on alien planets?

Yeah, right.

We'll be fucking likely if we have bases on the moon in 200 years, at the rate we're going. So much for plausibility. That's the kind of BS I'm talking about.

Feh.

Mandy

Post by Mandy »

I just read in the paper this morning that Journey to the Center of the Earth will be released this year. They're making it 3-D.. could be interesting. That was one of my favorite books when I was a kid.

http://www.journey3dmovie.com/
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

That, is going to suck. Sorry, my dear, but that will be on the Disney channel a month after theatrical release.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

These new 3-D movies...you still gotta wear the funny glasses? There was something in the WP article about Avatar about new projectors being installed, but I wasn't sure if that meant anything significant.

Where's Rob got to? ;)

Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:These new 3-D movies...you still gotta wear the funny glasses?
Yeah, but they are easier to steal now than they ever were. :twisted:
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

OK, thanks. That was my major concern. :roll:

:D

Mandy

Post by Mandy »

I never go to the movies anyway.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Mandy wrote:I never go to the movies anyway.
*somewhere, a film fan dies*

How could you? :shock:

Mandy

Post by Mandy »

:) Sorry.. I live kinda far from the theater and usually the movies are crap, so I've given up.
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

Mandy wrote::) Sorry.. I live kinda far from the theater and usually the movies are crap, so I've given up.
I'm with you. After the first week something's out, if I haven't seen it I usually wait and lose any anticipation I once had for it. I'm so sick of jackasses in theaters kicking chairs and talking I set up a theater in my basement.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

There is some James MacAvoy thing about spies with telekinesis coming out this summer. It looks kind of Mr & Mrs Smith-ey, and it even has whats-her-name in it. And Morgan Freeman. Looks dumb though.

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Omphalos wrote:There is some James MacAvoy thing about spies with telekinesis coming out this summer. It looks kind of Mr & Mrs Smith-ey, and it even has whats-her-name in it. And Morgan Freeman. Looks dumb though.
Uh...
GamePlayer wrote:...and Wanted will be here in March (starring Children of Dune star James McAvoy).
Yeah, it looks kinda lame. Angelina Jolie was the name you were looking for :)

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:
Omphalos wrote:There is some James MacAvoy thing about spies with telekinesis coming out this summer. It looks kind of Mr & Mrs Smith-ey, and it even has whats-her-name in it. And Morgan Freeman. Looks dumb though.
Uh...
GamePlayer wrote:...and Wanted will be here in March (starring Children of Dune star James McAvoy).
Sorry man. I slept for crap last night, now Im running on 3 cylinders.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

(I don't think I've been to the theatre here in town for close to two years now. They started showing everything dubbed into Japanese. FUCK that.)

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

In the last five years I have seen three movies in the theater. Spiderman III (waste of fucking time), Children of Men twice, and something else that I liked but cant remember. All of them in Seattle. The theaters around here suck.

Star Dust

Post by Star Dust »

Omphalos wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:
Uh...
Sorry man. I slept for crap last night, now Im running on 3 cylinders.
5 cylinders short?
==================
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Yep, pretty much.

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

No worries. I doubt that film is going to be worth much thought :)

Star Dust

Post by Star Dust »

whenever there's a dearth of good scifi I find I usually go back to some old scifi. I just Netflixed Silent Running. Haven't seen that in ages.
==================
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Star Dust wrote:whenever there's a dearth of good scifi I find I usually go back to some old scifi. I just Netflixed Silent Running. Haven't seen that in ages.
Watched it about three months ago. I was thinking the other day of renting Dark Star. Ever see that?

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Yep. When I was like a sophomore or so?

Should try to track it down, to see if it held up.

I saw Silent Running on one of my movie channels about a year ago, maybe? Still enjoyable, if the basic premise is a bit whack. ;)

Himachil

Post by Himachil »

Wanted looks crap, but it is directed by Timur Bekmambetov - which hopefully counts for something after Nightwatch.

Good SF wise - I just saw a preview for a film called Moon coming in 2009 which is apparently SF of the Silent Running variety and about a man who spends 3 years on the moon...
And that, children, is how the little bunny rabbit got his fluffy white tail.

As a minimum, we must demand from SF that it be wiser than the world it speaks to.
--Darko Suvin; On the Poetics of the Science Fiction Genre
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I rented When Worlds Collide recently too. Nowhere near as good as the book, but not bad. Someone needs to remake that one.

Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

SandChigger wrote:(I don't think I've been to the theatre here in town for close to two years now. They started showing everything dubbed into Japanese. FUCK that.)
No kidding?! That's a first...a local theatre or one of the big one's like Warner?
Narf!
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Mr. Teg wrote:
SandChigger wrote:(I don't think I've been to the theatre here in town for close to two years now. They started showing everything dubbed into Japanese. FUCK that.)
No kidding?! That's a first...a local theatre or one of the big one's like Warner?
Prefecture-local, affiliated with one or other of the national chains, so far as I know. They call themselves Teatoru. The head office is in Kohriyama, so they get the good movies and we get the leftovers.

I've called and bitched at people in both offices, but who listens to a round eyes, ya know? (The last time I called they gave me some song and dance about there being more elderly and families-with-small-kids movie-goers here...people who supposed prefer dubbed movies. Whatever.)

chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Yay!

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”