2012 Olympics

Any old topic will do, I suppose.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

2012 Olympics

Post by Omphalos »

I can't wait for the games to start.

Just watched Dana Vollmer cruise into the 100 M butterfly finals. That girl is a shark.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Nekhrun
Archivist

Re: 2012 Olympics

Post by Nekhrun »

I too have the Olympic Fever.
lotek
Archivist

Post by lotek »

I'm in London and I think the games should go somewhere else.
I dread using public transport to go to work, it's bad enough as it is without hordes of people in no rush that stop to look at the ceiling everytime there's an archway.

I get the excitement but I'm a grumpy old sod that thinks London is gonna be destroyed by German tourists, since they couldn't do it the first time.

Luckily, I've earned their trust and they don't know I am Bear.
In short, the Jihad is over. It ended just as SandRider predicted it would, not with a bang or even a whimper, by simple attrition.
- D. Pope
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

What's the matter, Tim? Couldn't get any tickets? :D

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

Himachil

Post by Himachil »

All the foreigners I know love the Olympics, all the Londoners I know hate them, and all the northerners I know (including myself) are indifferent. :lol=:
And that, children, is how the little bunny rabbit got his fluffy white tail.

As a minimum, we must demand from SF that it be wiser than the world it speaks to.
--Darko Suvin; On the Poetics of the Science Fiction Genre
Eyes High
Momma Eyes

Post by Eyes High »

Just remember, they won't last that long and then soon enough another city will have to deal with the --- "excitement"
I shall lift up my eyes unto the glory of the Lord.

Safety's just danger out of place.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I'm stoked for the weightlifting competition in this.

Lotek - that's how I felt about the winter games in vancouver a couple years ago! What a gigantic waste of money, oh well, people seem to enjoy them.
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
lotek
Archivist

Post by lotek »

Hopefully I'll be proven wrong though, but I can't help to feel it's just another sponsor-run event, and all the PR bs about the Olympic feeling is only real for a few people.
In short, the Jihad is over. It ended just as SandRider predicted it would, not with a bang or even a whimper, by simple attrition.
- D. Pope
Himachil

Post by Himachil »

Most of it's probably the whole "YOU WILL BE EXCITED!" media machine thing. I'm sure it'll be great for the people going and I know a lot of people worldwide will enjoy it on TV... but is it really the defining event of my life?

The only good thing to come of this is 2 for 1 on leading brand - Official Olympic - smoothies :dance:

Fuck fruit - too much work. Mash it. Drink it. Done.

As a minimum, we must demand from SF that it be wiser than the world it speaks to.
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Get to Know Your U.S. Gymnastics Team Through GIFs

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national ... ifs/54125/
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
lotek
Archivist

Post by lotek »

Himachil wrote:Mash it. Drink it. Done.
sounds like a good plan.

But this
Himachil wrote:Fuck fruit - too much work.
I say fruits deserve love too :whistle: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
- D. Pope
Himachil

Post by Himachil »

lotek wrote:
Himachil wrote:Fuck fruit - too much work.
I say fruits deserve love too :whistle: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
There's just something about unprocessed oranges that gives me instant major debilitating apathy.

Which is why Mr. Innocent's Olympic smoothies are so great. :)=

lotek
Archivist

Post by lotek »

Hundreds of extra police are to be drafted in to fill the gaps in Olympics security caused by blundering private firm G4S

The officers will join an additional 3,500 troops who have been drafted in to help protect the Olympic park
- D. Pope
lotek
Archivist

Post by lotek »

Two RAF men show off their sniper rifles as the their helicopter hovers over London as part of the Olympic security effort

He kinda looks drunk, or at least a bit worse for wear.
- D. Pope
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

That's just his game face.

So I'm guessing posse commitatus ain't an issue in the UK, huh?

Himachil

Post by Himachil »

I like the way they dug up a load of old nuclear waste, mixed it around a bit, then quietly reburied under a plastic sheet.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/jun/20/radioactive-waste-olympic-site wrote:The development of the Olympic site in east London after the Games have finished could be in jeopardy because of radioactive waste buried beneath the site, experts have warned.

According to a Guardian investigation, any development of the site risks unearthing a hundred tonnes of radioactive waste dumped at the former landfill site decades ago. Documents obtained under Freedom of Information (FOI) rules reveal that, contrary to government guidelines, waste from thorium and radium has been mixed with very low-level waste and buried in a so-called disposal cell close to the Olympic stadium - about 250m to the north.

:) Fills you with confidence for "The Legacy"

ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

Doesn't look very different from typical soccer games, does it?
lotek
Archivist

Post by lotek »

Omphalos wrote:That's just his game face.

So I'm guessing posse commitatus ain't an issue in the UK, huh?
thanks wiki !
Posse comitatus is the common-law or statute law authority of a county sheriff or other law officer to conscript any able-bodied males to assist him in keeping the peace or to pursue and arrest a felon, similar to the concept of the "hue and cry". Originally found in English common law, it is generally obsolete; however, it survives in the United States, where it is the law enforcement equivalent of summoning the militia for military.[
Himachil wrote:I like the way they dug up a load of old nuclear waste, mixed it around a bit, then quietly reburied under a plastic sheet.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/jun/20/radioactive-waste-olympic-site wrote:The development of the Olympic site in east London after the Games have finished could be in jeopardy because of radioactive waste buried beneath the site, experts have warned.

According to a Guardian investigation, any development of the site risks unearthing a hundred tonnes of radioactive waste dumped at the former landfill site decades ago. Documents obtained under Freedom of Information (FOI) rules reveal that, contrary to government guidelines, waste from thorium and radium has been mixed with very low-level waste and buried in a so-called disposal cell close to the Olympic stadium - about 250m to the north.

:) Fills you with confidence for "The Legacy"
well that's one thing you have to give nuclear waste, it does stick around for a while...

ULFsurfer wrote:Doesn't look very different from typical soccer games, does it?
what, radioactive ?
- D. Pope
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

lotek wrote:well that's one thing you have to give nuclear waste, it does stick around for a while...

ULFsurfer wrote:Doesn't look very different from typical soccer games, does it?
what, radioactive ?
Apart from guns.. yeah I bet there's some radioactivity going on as well.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

When's this bullshit start again? :roll:

(And, are these the REAL Olympics or are the winter games the real ones? I never can keep that straight... shows how much I care, yes? :lol: )
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
A Thing of Eternity

Yeah these are the real ones. Unless you live in Canada, then these are the "sorta care" ones! I just want to see the people lift the heavy things and put them back down, that's really the extent of my interest in the olympics.
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Opening ceremony is tomorrow... but somehow the USA women managed to beat the French at soccer yesterday.

:flags-usa: :flags-usa: :flags-usa: :flags-usa: :flags-usa: :flags-usa: :flags-usa:

~Leto II, God Emperor
Eyes High
Momma Eyes

Post by Eyes High »

I've always liked the gymnastics, track & field, and swimming events.
I shall lift up my eyes unto the glory of the Lord.

Safety's just danger out of place.
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Opening ceremony sucked.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I liked it.

SandRider
Judge of the Change

Post by SandRider »

I don't have TeeVee .... I didn't see it ....
Himachil

Post by Himachil »

SandRider wrote:I don't have TeeVee .... I didn't see it ....

:)= (They probably even have the International Uncut version with the 7/7 dance)

I thought it was pretty good - except for the history of music section: a lot of great songs but 2 seconds of each was very quickly very tedious. Although I did like it when they revealed that Tim Berners-Lee was an evil genius controlling the whole thing from his 1980s computer.... or something like that - I watched it without the commentary... :P

A Thing of Eternity

North Korean guy lifted triple his own body weight in the clean and jerk - EPIC. 123lb guy lifting 369lbs off the ground, and above his head. World record for the weight class and apparently only the 5th guy to ever move triple his own weight in that movement.
lotek
Archivist

Post by lotek »

- D. Pope
lotek
Archivist

Post by lotek »

- D. Pope
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Anyone else watch "handball" today? That is not what I think of when I think of handball.

Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

So why was everything in the opening ceremony announced first in French? I mean, I'm as multicultural as the next guy, but it did seem a bit odd.

I thought the opening ceremony was great, but it didn't have as many *wow* moments as Beijing did.

HBJ
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

The modern olympic games was started by a Frenchman so the official languages are French and English.

~Leto II, God Emperor
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well.

- Pierre de Coubertin
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

I just watched a documentary about the Olympics of 1912 and it seemed like athletes had way more fun back in those days compared to nowadays. With all the stress about getting medals, doping scandals, security issues,.. yeah we're deviating from Pierre's vision.
Serkanner

Post by Serkanner »

Omphalos wrote:Anyone else watch "handball" today? That is not what I think of when I think of handball.
I played handball for 25 years. Peaked in th late nineties and played Dutch national level until a pelvis injury halted my "carreer". Fantastic sports in which you need strength, speed and agility all at once. Soccer/Football and Basketball is for sissy-boys. Handball is a manly sports, like rugby.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Serkanner wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Anyone else watch "handball" today? That is not what I think of when I think of handball.
I played handball for 25 years. Peaked in th late nineties and played Dutch national level until a pelvis injury halted my "carreer". Fantastic sports in which you need strength, speed and agility all at once. Soccer/Football and Basketball is for sissy-boys. Handball is a manly sports, like rugby.
What I meant was that I used to play a game called "handball" too, only it was played either on a racquetball court or against a single wall. To play we struck racquetballs with open, gloved hands. There was no catching, no net, and two players on a smaller court. Very different then what I saw at the Olympics.

Serkanner

Post by Serkanner »

Omphalos wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
What I meant was that I used to play a game called "handball" too, only it was played either on a racquetball court or against a single wall. To play we struck racquetballs with open, gloved hands. There was no catching, no net, and two players on a smaller court. Very different then what I saw at the Olympics.
Aha, I see. Similar to the football - football confusion.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Serkanner wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
Aha, I see. Similar to the football - football confusion.
Exactly what I thought when I thought about it for a moment.

lotek
Archivist

Post by lotek »

ULFsurfer wrote:I just watched a documentary about the Olympics of 1912 and it seemed like athletes had way more fun back in those days compared to nowadays. With all the stress about getting medals, doping scandals, security issues,.. yeah we're deviating from Pierre's vision.
the raunchiest games ever?

Some people are having fun.
- D. Pope
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

lotek wrote:
ULFsurfer wrote:I just watched a documentary about the Olympics of 1912 and it seemed like athletes had way more fun back in those days compared to nowadays. With all the stress about getting medals, doping scandals, security issues,.. yeah we're deviating from Pierre's vision.
the raunchiest games ever?

Some people are having fun.
Now I see why some athletes fail when they shouldn't. :o
lotek
Archivist

Post by lotek »

ULFsurfer wrote:Now I see why some athletes fail when they shouldn't. :o
or...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympi ... elled.html
- D. Pope
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

~Leto II, God Emperor

Return to “General Chat”