2001: A Space Odyssey, by A.C. Clarke

Links to the book review pages
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

2001: A Space Odyssey, by A.C. Clarke

Post by Omphalos »

Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

I really like this book. I actually saw the Kubrick film first (I'm a HUGE Kubrick fan), but was really pleased after reading the book. I think this one might go back in the "pile" pretty soon.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

A book store has a nice soft cover edition of 2001 for sale (and a hard cover edition of Ender's Game too). I can't wait until next pay day :)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I really love the clarity of voice that Clarke told this story with. It was simple prose that packed a whallop, kind of like Octavia Bulter's language. Sometimes though I wonder though if I am oversimplifying Clarke's style because the movie is so dense.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

I forgot to mention last night in connection with your avatar that 2001 was on early last night and I watched it again since it had been several years.

Dense is one word for it. ;)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

It's a brilliant film. I just recently watched it on DVD again; it's included in the new Stanley Kubrick collection that just came out last year.

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:It's a brilliant film. I just recently watched it on DVD again; it's included in the new Stanley Kubrick collection that just came out last year.
What are the extras that are on that DVD? I have the version that was with the previous set. White background with the poster of the Pan Am craft leaving the space station. I LOVE that movie (just might watch it tonight).

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Lots of good stuff, including a commentary track by Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood. It's a very good commentary. There are also a bunch of featurettes filled with good insight. And most impressive of all, there's a 40 minute long audio-only interview with Stanley Kubrick.

It's a good and proper release, one that I've been waiting for a good long time :)

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

IIRC there ain't dick extra on my version. I was pissed about that, even though I was glad to have the movie

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

What struck me again watching it last evening was the brilliant way Kubrick filled in a lot of the silence with the music.

In space, no one can hear you scream. Really. Even BG is disappointing in that respect. :(
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:What struck me again watching it last evening was the brilliant way Kubrick filled in a lot of the silence with the music.

In space, no one can hear you scream. Really. Even BG is disappointing in that respect. :(
Firefly got that right too.

Skibum

Post by Skibum »

Have any of you read the entire series? 2010, 2061, and 3001 aren't great save for some very interesting descriptions of alien life on other planets. The Japanese (or was it Chinese?) scientist wandering the surface of Europa repeating his last message was amazing.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I liked 2010 (and the movie), felt eh? about 2061, and 3001 is sitting in the pile. I was reading some blurbs about the books that Clarke is "writing" with Stephen Baxter, and in one of them the race that left the obelisk in the moon is at war with us. It sounded silly to even think that we would survive that war longer than it took them to get here, so I threw it down in disgust.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Ah...I've only seen the last half or so of the Firefly movie. (What was it called again? Love the Asian influence, Hanzi/Kanji all over the place! :D)

I've read 2010 and 3001. (Liked the movie version of the first well enough.)

The war with the aliens thingy figures in the latter. But yeah, fighting with a race at least a million years ahead of us seems a bit silly. I mean, they'd squash the Vorlons even. ;)

(Oh yeah, I've just put a 2001-inspired minimalist fanfic—just a conversation, really—up on Hoary Tales. ;) )

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

SandChigger wrote:Ah...I've only seen the last half or so of the Firefly movie. (What was it called again? Love the Asian influence, Hanzi/Kanji all over the place! :D)
Serenity

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

SandChigger wrote:I forgot to mention last night in connection with your avatar that 2001 was on early last night and I watched it again since it had been several years.

Dense is one word for it. ;)
Not with the right drugs :wink:

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

GamePlayer wrote:Serenity
Mercy, beau coo!

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

enchanté :P :lol:

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

I made it part way through 3001 and lost interest. I thought 2010 was good, I really liked the movie (2010) maybe better than the book.

2001 was one of the first SF books I read and it was impressive. I saw the movie before I read the book and beyond some nice visuals I didn't see what all the excitement was about. Since reading the book I've enjoyed it a lot more.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Just finished reading 2001 and 2010...the end of 2001 was a big surprised compared to the end of the movie, but i really enjoyed it...can't help but think that KJA took his inspiration about the Titans-with-brains-in-a-ship from 2001 when Clarke talks about Aliens becoming Starship-Machine-entities.... :roll:
Neutrinos watch alert !

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

I coulda swore I left a comment here, did you post this review notice at that other site?

Nice review :)
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

-Rimmer’s farewell speech
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Rakis wrote:Just finished reading 2001 and 2010...the end of 2001 was a big surprised compared to the end of the movie, but i really enjoyed it...can't help but think that KJA took his inspiration about the Titans-with-brains-in-a-ship from 2001 when Clarke talks about Aliens becoming Starship-Machine-entities.... :roll:
Or from D:V
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Rakis wrote:Just finished reading 2001 and 2010...the end of 2001 was a big surprised compared to the end of the movie, but i really enjoyed it...can't help but think that KJA took his inspiration about the Titans-with-brains-in-a-ship from 2001 when Clarke talks about Aliens becoming Starship-Machine-entities.... :roll:
Huh?

Destination Void? haven't read it yet...
Neutrinos watch alert !

A Thing of Eternity

Rakis wrote:
Huh?

Destination Void? haven't read it yet...
Read it. It has brains in jars. Good stuff. Then read the rest of the series. :D
orald

Post by orald »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:can't help but think that KJA took his inspiration about the Titans-with-brains-in-a-ship from 2001 when Clarke talks about Aliens becoming Starship-Machine-entities.... :roll:
No, he took it from here.

:P
"Brian! Brian! Brian!" goes the refrain. "A million deaths were not enough for Brian!"

I'm awake! God help me, I'm awake!
A Thing of Eternity

orald wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:can't help but think that KJA took his inspiration about the Titans-with-brains-in-a-ship from 2001 when Clarke talks about Aliens becoming Starship-Machine-entities.... :roll:

I didn't say that, Rakis said that!
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

orald wrote:

I didn't say that, Rakis said that!
Arrgg...Orald, you post-stealer !!! :x
Neutrinos watch alert !

orald

Post by orald »

I blame to quote-in-quote option! :o
"Brian! Brian! Brian!" goes the refrain. "A million deaths were not enough for Brian!"

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

I blame YOU !!! :twisted:
Neutrinos watch alert !

Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

That's what SHE said!

Ah ha ha ha ha.
orald

Post by orald »

Phaedrus wrote:That's what SHE said!

Ah ha ha ha ha.
Huh? :?

And it should read "I blame the quote-in-quote option."

Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

I honestly couldn't tell you what I meant with that last post.

It was funny at the time... :?

Return to “Book Reviews”