NYT Review SOD

Start topics here about Dune that are not bloody likely to be screwed with by me.
Mr. Teg

NYT Review SOD

Post by Mr. Teg »

I lost track did they ever publish a review?
Narf!
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

The last time i had checked they had not. So i don't think they have.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Teg, we're really going to have to have a talk about your thread titles. :twisted:

Here I was all ready to see a link, thinking "Finally! This should be good!"

But no....

(sigh)

:D
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

What the hell is this thread about?
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

New York Times review of Sandworms of Dune. I had kept my eye on Itzkoff up until mid December and saw nothing. VanLandermeer, or whatever his name is, the SF critic for The Washington Post, also never reviewed it.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Thank you big O.

Hahaha, omg, that's a great new name :) The Big O :) Just like the anime! HAHAAHAHAHAHA! :D :lol: :P

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:Thank you big O.

Hahaha, omg, that's a great new name :) The Big O :) Just like the anime! HAHAAHAHAHAHA! :D :lol: :P
O really?

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Yeah, I've never seen it, but I know of it. It's kinda like a film noir style homage to 70's/80's popular culture, done in the mecha genre. It looked kinda silly to me, so I never bothered (which is always my big problem with most anime). But I like the odd, obscure reference to your forum handle :)

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:Yeah, I've never seen it, but I know of it. It's kinda like a film noir style homage to 70's/80's popular culture, done in the mecha genre. It looked kinda silly to me, so I never bothered (which is always my big problem with most anime). But I like the odd, obscure reference to your forum handle :)
And now I have a "O" shaped avatar too.

I am extremly picky about anime. I dont watch much at all. I never saw what the big hoopla about most of it is. For example Akira. I just dont care too much.

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

There's no big hoopla about anything really. It all depends upon what gets you going.

Honestly, I'd say a large part of the anime's appeal is the lack of availability and the need that creates. We have animation, but it's not the same nor as numerous in production nor as broad in scope. Anime is different, unique, exotic and interesting compared to our familiar domestic entertainments. That's pretty much it.

The rest? Well, it's typical snobbery at it's worst. Anime snobs like something good that others don't. Make's them feel cultured. Just like film snobs (I'm the exception, of course) and just like literary snobs *ahem*

:)

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

I've seen the first Big O series. Not bad at all. The animation style was modeled after the Batman Adventures cartoon so its not as "anime" which really works. I think you will like it.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:There's no big hoopla about anything really. It all depends upon what gets you going.

Honestly, I'd say a large part of the anime's appeal is the lack of availability and the need that creates. We have animation, but it's not the same nor as numerous in production nor as broad in scope. Anime is different, unique, exotic and interesting compared to our familiar domestic entertainments. That's pretty much it.

The rest? Well, it's typical snobbery at it's worst. Anime snobs like something good that others don't. Make's them feel cultured. Just like film snobs (I'm the exception, of course) and just like literary snobs *ahem*

:)
Eat it.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Omph, I forget, have you seen Innocence?

The trailer for it was on the CD-ROM I mentioned in the GitS thread. Reminded me again of how visually beautiful it is. Have a look if you get the chance.

I used to be an anti-anime/anti-manga/comic snob. I still think a lot of both genres is schlock. But at least now I can see past my prejudices to the possibilities. (I probably will never be able to say "graphic novel" without smirking or snickering inside, but who wants to be perfect, anyway. ;) )
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Nupe. Ill put it on the list though.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

You won't be sorry.

Probably.

I hope.

But don't blame me, 'K? :D

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

90% of everything is schlock. You have to mine every art form for gems, whether it's anime, film, literature, painting, et cetera. The trick is to avoid becoming jaded by all the garbage and thereby missing out on the good stuff :)

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

GamePlayer wrote:90% of everything is schlock.
There is that. :)

Return to “Dune Talk”