New gizmo

Any old topic will do, I suppose.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

New gizmo

Post by Omphalos »

Typin at'cha from my new iPad. Why oh why the hell did I wait so long for this?
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Freakzilla
Archivist

Re: New gizmo

Post by Freakzilla »

They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Omphalos wrote:Typin at'cha from my new iPad. Why oh why the hell did I wait so long for this?
Pretty sweet, huh?

You'll be totally hooked when you see that the iTunes Store has all of the Walking Dead episodes ... 8)=
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

This thing is totally cool. Last night I watched two full movies, porter all my documents over to it from my desktop, and played Autoharp and hammered dulcimer on it. I am totally fascinated with it.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

SandRider
Judge of the Change

Post by SandRider »

the 3D apps are useful ...

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Hey, is it true they still don't have the MultiFinder on them? (That you can't run more than one app at a time?) A friend told me that a while back and I had really checked into it myself; kinda cooled my interest. (Was going to blow my research budget on getting one to play around with. ;) )
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Try Flipboard. Free app that turns twitter, facebook, and other sites, news, entertainment, etc, into a magazine like format. Love it, only way I read twitter.

I also use Dropbox to share files between my computers and others when doing work with the theatre group I'm involved with.

You can buy an adaptor to send video and audio out to the tv, though the netflix quality isn't the best. If you need a program to convert video into an ipad friendly format, you will need to do some looking, the program I use is Mac only.

I also have found the ipad to be a pretty good comic book reader. Comixology has a decent app and there are some good free issues one can download.

ABC and NPR have good apps, though I wish ABC would allow streaming off the ipad.

Ibooks is a decent ereader, though if you have a bunch of pdf's there are some programs that would give you more options.

You can get a wireless keyboard and pair it to the ipad if you want using bluetooth.

I use one of those $1 wire stands you can find at walmart in the picture frames section.

Chig, they've updated the OS to include the multitasking that can be found on the iphone. I don't do a whole lot of multi tasking but I've had no issues so far.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Yeah, the "fast app switching" is kinda useful and lame all at the same time. It's more of a work-around than anything else.

I use a lot of the stuff that Rob mentioned. Comixology is a great comics reader; iBooks is just fine for ebooks and PDFs, and Dropbox is great for file-sharing. I'm also a big fan of the Netflix app, and I use a lot of news apps and two or three sports scoreboards.

After iBooks, though, I'll admit that I'm using it mostly for games right now. There's some really neat stuff being done with moving boardgames to the iPad, both in traditional games (Monopoly for iPad was just released, for example) and in some of the more obscure "gamers" titles (Small World, Battleline, Settlers of Catan, etc.).

But, mostly, I read books and comics on it. I'm even considering getting Dune from the iBooks store ... I'm due for a re-read, and I'm curious to see it in a digital format (they've got the U.S. 40th anniversary trade paperback edition available, IIRC).
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

How do you switch between aps? I'm finding if I have safari and the apps store open, for example, I have to close one with that big button and re open the other to swap between them.

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

First make sure the ipad is running the latest OS.

Next when in safari you can tap the big button twice which brings up a bar at the bottom and you can switch to other apps.

Rob
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Robspierre wrote:First make sure the ipad is running the latest OS.

Next when in safari you can tap the big button twice which brings up a bar at the bottom and you can switch to other apps.

Rob
It's the latest version. They upgraded me before I left the Apple store. Thanks for the tip.

New question though. I double tapped and see that i have fifteen things open. I'm obviously not closing them properly. How do I do that? Do I just tap and hold the icon until they start juggling and click the minus sign, or is there a way to close them permanently from the main screen?

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

If they are jiggling and you click the minus sign, the app will be deleted from the ipad. The jiggling also allows you to move the app around to the position or folder you like.

You do not need to "close" apps like you would programs on a computer. Some apps and games you will want to save before you exit them.

Rob
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Actually I figured this out. If you click on thi minus sign when the icon is in the lower tray (after double clicking) en it does just close them. They nay get deleted when you click on the minus sign when they are juggling on the home pages.

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Obviously I'm gonna have to get a wireless keyboard, because this native one sucks

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Omphalos wrote:Obviously I'm gonna have to get a wireless keyboard, because this native one sucks

The native keyboard is good for short bursts. Any wireless keyboard should work. I know Charlie Stross uses the Apple dock with built in keyboard when he travels.

Rob
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Just downloaded Dragon this evening. It works great.

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Omphalos wrote:Just downloaded Dragon this evening. It works great.

Now that is a nifty looking app. Going to give it a try.

I've been checking out a few games, there are a bunch on sale for .99$ right now.

Rob
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Dragon is pretty cool app. I'm surprised KJA has not tried it.

Rob
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

I convinced my employer to foot the bill for one with a data plan, but I asked them to wait until April when the newer version comes out. Until then, I'll just slum it with my laptop and the limited access I have to my wife's iPad.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I'm betting the bride will want one then too. Anyone
Ooked at thay Samsung/Andriod thing?

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Granny Clause brought my 9-y-o a 10" HP netbook.

I wish I had a netbook. :cry:

~Leto II, God Emperor
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Question for the gallery. When I open an "edit" window, I can scroll up and down, but not within the smaller window where I want to edit. So for example if I want tp edit a long message, I have no way to edit anything other than what appears in the top of the message window. Any way to scroll in a "window within a window" with an iPad?

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Sounds like a glitch in the browser software.

Great. :roll:

(I'm assuming you've tried moving the cursor down into the invisible part of the edit field. Or dragging while highlighting? Those sometimes work for me on a regular Mac if the software's acting up. [Usually in some other app, not a browser.])
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I've tried everything I can think of. The problem is that this keyboard has no arrow keys.

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

I'll play around with that tomorrow and see what I can come up with, I think there is a way, just need to remember how to do it....if I remember correctly.

Rob
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Omphalos wrote:I've tried everything I can think of. The problem is that this keyboard has no arrow keys.
:shock:

Did you think of trying to buy a new keyboard? ;) :P

(Or was this the new keyboard? What kind of keyboard doesn't have arrow keys? WTF?!)

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I've tried everything I can think of. The problem is that this keyboard has no arrow keys.

Did you think of trying to buy a new keyboard? ;) :P

(Or was this the new keyboard? What kind of keyboard doesn't have arrow keys? WTF?!)
The virtual keyboard that is native to the iPad, Smartass. :wink:

I have not purchased a wireless yet. Even so, the window-witnin-a-window is still static and doesn't move.

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I'm not sure I'm following, but ...

... are you talking about just being able to add, delete, or alter some text? Like in the middle of an email, for example?

If so, you just press and hold near the text in question; the magnifying glass that pops up will allow you to go to the area that needs fixing.

+++++

But if you're talking about moving around actual windows, similar to what you do with your PC or Mac, then I don't think there's a way to do so. There is no "desktop metaphor" built into the iOS system ... it's all about opening and closing apps, one at a time. No files or folders, etc. ... just apps.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

No. What I am trying to do is to edit a long blog post, or a long post here. for example. If it is a short enough post all of the text appears in the edit window. But not if it's a long one. So I hit the board's edit button and it gives me a window with the post's text in it. That window is smaller than the screen. I can only see the first fifteen lines or so. With my desktop I can just scroll down to see text at the bottom of the post I want to edit. With the iPad, I can't scroll down in that miniature window. Every time I try to do so by whipping my finger across the screen the entire screen moves, not the text I wish to edit in the edit box.

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

OK, did some playing around with some of my longer posts here. What you do is:
1. Click edit
2. Press your finger on the enter text box until the little magnifying glass appears.
3. The magnifying glass allows you to scroll down to the section you want to edit. You need to keep your finger on the screen or the magnifying glass will vanish.
4. Scrollling down is a bit slow, also play around with the magnifying glass so that you get comfortable with what it all can do. The only way to scroll down is to press down so the magnifying glass appears.

Rob
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Omphalos wrote:The virtual keyboard that is native to the iPad, Smartass. :wink:

I have not purchased a wireless yet.
:lol:

OK, I thought I'd read somewhere that you had bought a Bluetooth keyboard for it. Or was that Robbo? I get you two confused all the time. Must be the manskirts. :P
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

If you knew anything at all aobut manski... kilts, you would know the difference.

I said fuck it and went and bought a bluetooth keyboard today. Works like a charn, Problem solved. Now i need no longer move from the comfort of my bed. Hellooooo, Jabba-the-Hutness!

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

A jelloid future is thine! :P

merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Omphalos wrote:Now i need no longer move from the comfort of my bed. Hellooooo, Jabba-the-Hutness!
You shall gain insight into the mind of Jabecca, who keeps three buckets by the bed: one for feces and urine, one for vomitus, and one full of cream puffs. You will also need to find a Kevin to tend to the buckets and riff with you.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Try to find a prettier one, though, eh! :lol:

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Forget the Kevin part; let's just hope I don't mix up the buckets!

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Next Gen reader screens

Post by Omphalos »

Here is something on where e-readers seem to be going. This has the low power consumption of epaper with a dynamic looking interface. It's called "Mirasol."

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri= ... DoVzKd9H4U

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Bought the app Displaypad, was on sale for .99, it turns your ipad into a second display. You can have it mirror your main screen or have it act as an extension of your main screen. LOVE IT! I like to have my pages wrk on the ipad screen and my noted and whatnot on the laptop. Everything is connected wirelessly and it works seamlessly.

EDited to add: Only downside is your main computer needs to be running Snow Leopard 10.6.

Rob
Last edited by Robspierre on Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I was thinkng of getting that one, but honestly I've pretty much stopped using my desktop altogether. I've been reading Comixology all evening.

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Omphalos wrote:I was thinkng of getting that one, but honestly I've pretty much stopped using my desktop altogether. I've been reading Comixology all evening.

Isn't it great? The free content is a pretty mixed bag, but there is some good stuff, and some of the companies have decent pricing.

Rob
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

A couple of those free ones grabbed my attention. I just spent like $25 on new comics.

SandRider
Judge of the Change

Post by SandRider »

okay, so what you do is right-click and then ... wait, what ?
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandRider wrote:

No mouse either. Sorry, Hoss.

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:
SandRider wrote:

No mouse either. Sorry, Hoss.
Yeah, you just poke the screen with your middle finger. :wink:

~Leto II, God Emperor
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Hi guys. Got a Mobile Me question. Can I upload stuff directly to my iDisk through my PC, or do I have to put it on my iPad then load it to iDisk from there?

Here's what I want to do; I have .doc files of all the book reviews I have written in the past, a bunch of picutres and some other stuff that I want to put there. Some songs from the iPod too. What is the best way to do that? If I have to do it through the iPad it's gonna take way too long. I'd like to be able to transfer from iTunes on my PC, but I can't figure out how.

Thanks, and yes, I know I need a Mac.

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Not sure, let me do some research. You may want to do a search on Apple's support boards and see if anyone has posted a solution.

Rob
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Thanks Rob. Just did that and found the answer. There are two arrow buttons that weren't showing, so I downloaded a patch. They are at the top of the Mobile Me homepage. The upload button will allow you to select a ton of docs all at once.

Got a new question now. I wrote most of the reviews and saved them as docs or rtf files. Can I view these on an iDevice? I am getting them uploaded, but then I try to open them in Pages and can't do it.

Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

Omphalos wrote:Thanks Rob. Just did that and found the answer. There are two arrow buttons that weren't showing, so I downloaded a patch. They are at the top of the Mobile Me homepage. The upload button will allow you to select a ton of docs all at once.

Got a new question now. I wrote most of the reviews and saved them as docs or rtf files. Can I view these on an iDevice? I am getting them uploaded, but then I try to open them in Pages and can't do it.
You should be able to view them. You could also upload them to Google Docs, then you'd be able to edit them as well.
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

What version of Word are you using, there are reports of some not opening. But yes, you should be able to open them with Pages.

Rob
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Actually, hey are all rtf format. I don't have Microsoft Office on my PC.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

TextEdit also opens most stuff, including the .docx format.

I used to let the synchronization stuff handle transferring stuff to my iDisk, but then it started eating up too much processor time and disk space, so now I just use my FTP client (Transmit) to access it and transfer stuff; much, much faster. :)

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Nekhrun wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Thanks Rob. Just did that and found the answer. There are two arrow buttons that weren't showing, so I downloaded a patch. They are at the top of the Mobile Me homepage. The upload button will allow you to select a ton of docs all at once.

You should be able to view them. You could also upload them to Google Docs, then you'd be able to edit them as well.
I should be able to open them and edit them with the Pages app too. Can't make the fucker work tnough.

Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

Omphalos wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:

I should be able to open them and edit them with the Pages app too. Can't make the fucker work tnough.
Hmm, I haven't used Pages yet. Can you see if it works with DOC files?
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Hmmm. I can now open .rtf files directly from mt iDisk in the iDisk app, but I can't open them in the Pages app. Anyone got any ideas? Short of cut and paste?

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Ok here is what I have been able to find:

Yes, you can access and edit any Pages file In your iDisk. Here is how:
1. Download the MobileMe app (it's still only in iPhone format)
2. sign in and find the file you want to edit.
3. Share it and email it to yourself
4. When you open the email with the attached file, tap the file name to view it. When you view it you will have the option of opening in Pages for iPad.
5. Open it and edit it. When you are finished editing, send it back to yourself by email. When you get back to your Mac, save it to your iDisk.

It seems that at the moment there is no direct access, you have to email it to yourself which is cumbersome. You could copy and paste all of them into one doc and just email it to yourself once......

ETA:

What file formats does Pages support?

Imports:

Pages ’09 for Mac
Microsoft Word - Office Open XML (.docx) and Office 97 or later (.doc)
Plain Text files (.txt)

It looks like that Pages for Ipad does not handle rtf files though the desktop version does.

Rob
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Omphalos wrote: I wrote most of the reviews and saved them as docs or rtf files. Can I view these on an iDevice? I am getting them uploaded, but then I try to open them in Pages and can't do it.
How about saving the documents as PDFs, then just using iBooks to store them?

iBooks is a surprisingly good PDF reader. And synching everything with iTunes is easy-peasy.
SandRider
Judge of the Change

Post by SandRider »

say Omph, did you not get an external keyboard for your MacZpad,
or is there another reason for the exponential increase in typos in
your posts ?
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandRider wrote:say Omph, did you not get an external keyboard for your MacZpad,
or is there another reason for the exponential increase in typos in
your posts ?
I have the keyboard, but when I go through the sites in the evening I just use the one in the iPad. Im still getting used to it. Should get better. I promise you that there have not been any sharp blows the head lately.

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Omph, it the sharp blows to the head that keep you foocused.
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

-Rimmer’s farewell speech
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Aye, and a wee dram now and again.

D Pope
Archivist

Post by D Pope »

Lookin for insight in to computer names? Dune theme!
Yossarian wrote:Be sure to say you're going to "Duncan" the hard drives when you clone them with Ghost.
Struck me as funny, hope you like it. Note the date, I guess there's a lot of stuff leftover out there.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=763252
When a brand knew urinal puck showed up in the bathroom of my studio, I knew what I had to do.
-AToE
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

D Pope wrote:
Lookin for insight in to computer names? Dune theme!
BG Archives

~Leto II, God Emperor
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

I'm addicted to the Carcassonne board game.

Rob
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Hey guys,

Two more noob questions, both having to do with iTunes.

First, I downloaded a few TV shows from iTunes and promptly watched them using the "Videos" app that came with my iPad. Shortly thereafter I synched my iPad with my PC for the first time. iTunes downloaded every show that I had watched to iTunes, and deleted them off of my iPad, leaving only the shows that I had not watched yet. Now I want to rewatch The Walking Dead and can't figure out how to tell iTunes to load it back on. I suspect its something easy I'm just missing. Is it?

Second, when I synched my iPad, iTunes created a playlist called "Music" on my iPad, and loaded every mp3 I had on my hard drive. I dont listen to much of it anymore. Is there any easy way to remove that playlist?

Thanks,

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

When your iPad is attached, highlight it in the Devices section on the left of the iTunes screen.

That row of categories you'll see now across the top of the screen — Summary, Info., Apps, Music, Movies, etc. — is where you'll go to control what flows into and out of the iPad.

For instance, in your first example, I suspect there's a checkbox checked for "synch unwatched episodes of all shows" ... so, since you'd watched them, iTunes figured you were not needing them on the iPad any longer.

In the second example, the default for "fill iPad with a selection of music" was probably checked. That one is pretty annoying, and Apple shouldn't have it on by default. Just uncheck it and iTunes will stop trying to guess what music you want on your iPad.

You'll get used to this on/off, yes/no, watched/unwatched thing ... it's the simple language that iTunes speaks (it's also how playlists work, once you get into those). Once you get it fine-tuned, you'll have your iPad set up exactly how you want it.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Thanks, Dukester!

Still got some learnin' to do, it would seem.

I am so never getting another PC. I am totally into this Mac experience thing.

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

When you do decide to get a Mac, check the refurbished list on the Apple Store website. Some of them are up to 26% off. Each comp gets a full check over and any issue with it gets taken care of. you get the full warranty too. They have some good deals going on right now.

Rob
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Awesome! Ill keep that in mind. Thank you, Rob!

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

I've been lucky enough to have been gifted a 1st gen 8 gig iphone. My thoughts are to use it as a touch as I like the wee Nokia I have. Anyone got an opinion about jail breaking it?
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I just disvovered something new. Hold down vowel keys or non letter keys on the naive iPad keyboard and it gives you some options. Cool.

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

inhuien wrote:I've been lucky enough to have been gifted a 1st gen 8 gig iphone. My thoughts are to use it as a touch as I like the wee Nokia I have. Anyone got an opinion about jail breaking it?

It being a first gen I would go and jailbreak it, get the most out of it you can.

Omph, that is pretty damn cool. I'm thinking of getting a stylus to o with the wireless keyboard, that would save my fingers from having to do any touching at all.

Rob
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I got a stylus. Not very useful, IMHO.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

iPad & keyboard came this afternoon! :dance:

Will be gettin' jiggy with 'em tonight & tomorrow. :D

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Bloody hell. :twisted:

I wish I'd opened the thing up in the office, rather than waiting till I got home. I had no idea you had to set the fucker up using the latest version of iTunes. Which I didn't have on my home machines yet. :roll:

Took SIX FUCKING HOURS to download. :doh:

Ah, but ain't it purdy. The on-screen keyboard is annoying (where's the fucking tab again? :P ). I think it's going to be cool once I get used to it, but I'm pissy at the moment. ;)

Grrrrrr!

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

The tab is the "Next" button on the top left of the keyboard. "Previous," obviously, is shift+tab.

You'll learn soon that the iPad really is an ingeniously effective and addictive system for selling shit through iTunes and the App Store. Still, that initial feeling of infatuation hasn't left me yet.

I had the San Francisco Apple store set me up. Got there at 9 am and walked out after 1 pm. Youre gonna want to go to the App Store and make sure that you have the latest ios for the iPad. Not a quick download either, but you need it for shit like multi-touch and multi-tasking.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

I checked that during the set-up and I have the latest version of the iPad system already, so that's one less thing. But of course the new iTunes keeps bitching that it needs Safari 4-point-whatever to work properly.

I went through that shit with the office machine when the iTunes Store suddenly stopped working, no explanation given. Once I figured out I had to update iTunes, I didn't get why they still couldn't continue to let me search and buy songs & albums with the version I'd been using. And once it was installed, then I needed the latest Safari. :roll:

I started to download the FREE Twitter app for the iPad but they wanted my credit card info and all so I cancelled it. (They already have my MobileMe account info, so what's the big deal, why can't they use it?) Until I know for sure whether this falls under the category of "disposables bought with research funds" (meaning I can keep it!), I don't want to put too much vital personal info into it.

Anyway, thanks for the info on the keyboard! Next thing I'll have to figure out is where documents are stored, if I download any PDFs, or want to copy over my Dune files. :D

Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:I started to download the FREE Twitter app for the iPad but they wanted my credit card info and all so I cancelled it. Until I know for sure whether this falls under the category of "disposables bought with research funds" (meaning I can keep it!), I don't want to put too much vital personal info into it.
The iTunes account requires a credit card, but I've only actually purchased two apps in the years I've owned an iPhone.

Also, for Twitter stuff, you might want to check out TweetDeck. There's a good app for it at the Mac store too.
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

install ibooks and add your pdf's into itunes. They will get added to your bookshelf , easiest thing to do.

Rob
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Nekhrun wrote:The iTunes account requires a credit card, but I've only actually purchased two apps in the years I've owned an iPhone.
Right... but when I buy music I always log in with my MobileMe/DotMac account. (Did we have to enter the credit card info separately for iTunes? I forget.... :? )
Also, for Twitter stuff, you might want to check out TweetDeck. There's a good app for it at the Mac store too.
OK!

Thanks, Robbo! Is iBooks free or paid? ... Guess I'll find out! :P

Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Free. It's a nice app. I have no iPad, but I run it on my iPhone.

I used to use Stanza, but iBooks seems to format stuff better. Much more readable. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a Mac or PC version, though, unlike Stanza, where you can basically read everything everywhere.

HBJ
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Has anyone tried the Kindle for iPad thingie?

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

I have it on my touch, haven't tried it on the ipad. I do like ibooks interface better.

Rob
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Has anyone tried the Kindle for iPad thingie?
I do. Looks great. I pretty much use the iPad only for Kindle now.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

I didn't bring it in with me to the office today (looks like I'm going to get to keep it, whoohoo! :dance: ), but I've downloaded iBooks, SketchBook, Tetris & Time FX and am going to take them home and try to install them from the MacBook. (Also downloaded the newest Safari to install on the MB, too.)

Guess I'll grab the Kindle for iPad thingie while I'm at it. :P

(I can see how this could get addictive... how much did I just spend? :? )

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

I finally broke down and bought a laptop.

Dell Inspirion M5030 for $300!

:dance:

~Leto II, God Emperor
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:I didn't bring it in with me to the office today (looks like I'm going to get to keep it, whoohoo! :dance: ), but I've downloaded iBooks, SketchBook, Tetris & Time FX and am going to take them home and try to install them from the MacBook. (Also downloaded the newest Safari to install on the MB, too.)

Guess I'll grab the Kindle for iPad thingie while I'm at it. :P

(I can see how this could get addictive... how much did I just spend? :? )
Synching can be time consuming, but once you get the idea, setting it up can go quick.

And don't even talk to me about spending too much money on this thing.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Freakzilla wrote:I finally broke down and bought a laptop.
Congratulations! Welcome to the world of portability! :P
Omphalos wrote:Synching can be time consuming, but once you get the idea, setting it up can go quick.
Yeah, it went pretty fast. The longest part of the process was authorizing the laptop for use of purchased items (I never play music on this thing).
And don't even talk to me about spending too much money on this thing.
Well, I don't think I'll be doing too much more buying for a while; I just wanted to try it out. I had a look at iBooks and downloaded samples of Sunzi's Art of War and Li Bai's poetry. (Both were in simplified Chinese though. Pooh, I prefer the classics in the original characters. :snooty: ) Fired up the Kindle one, too, but didn't feel like looking up & entering my Amazon password; will do it later!

iTunes didn't want to recognize the copy of the Tetris app, so I couldn't install it. Pooh x 2. :(

(The Clock/Alarm program is kinda cool. I really like the analog display: three concentric circles displaying—moving in from out—seconds, minutes and hour. I'd kinda like to have a real clock designed that way... anyone seen any?)

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

The stylus I ordered came in today. Sized like a regular pen, I have had no issues so far. There is a slight delay when you first start to scroll. The stylus also does a better job, accuracy wise, than my finger, no accidentally tapping the wrong link with this baby. I also got in a messenger bag that can carry the iPad, wireless keyboard, my charging kit, and a few other bits if kit. I'll take a few snaps when I get the chance.

Rob
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:
This is fucking awesome! I can jack off practically anywhere now.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Robspierre wrote:The stylus I ordered came in today. Sized like a regular pen, I have had no issues so far. There is a slight delay when you first start to scroll. The stylus also does a better job, accuracy wise, than my finger, no accidentally tapping the wrong link with this baby. I also got in a messenger bag that can carry the iPad, wireless keyboard, my charging kit, and a few other bits if kit. I'll take a few snaps when I get the chance.

Rob
Can ya give a brutha a link to the messenger bag? Sounds like what I need.

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Omphalos wrote:
Robspierre wrote:The stylus I ordered came in today. Sized like a regular pen, I have had no issues so far. There is a slight delay when you first start to scroll. The stylus also does a better job, accuracy wise, than my finger, no accidentally tapping the wrong link with this baby. I also got in a messenger bag that can carry the iPad, wireless keyboard, my charging kit, and a few other bits if kit. I'll take a few snaps when I get the chance.

Rob

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BL ... ss_product

It's a vertical style bag. In it I have my ipad, in a case, the apple wireless keyboard, stylus, the charge kit which includes 6 ft of coiled cord, usb cable, and adaptor. there are several pockets and you can fit a bit more stuff in though it will get to be a tight fit. I have the black one but they also have a brown version that's 5$ cheaper at the moment.

Rob
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Freakzilla wrote:
SandChigger wrote:

Er, Freak, a laptop doesn't make you invisible, you know.

;)

HBJ
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Robspierre wrote:
Omphalos wrote:

Rob

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BL ... ss_product

It's a vertical style bag. In it I have my ipad, in a case, the apple wireless keyboard, stylus, the charge kit which includes 6 ft of coiled cord, usb cable, and adaptor. there are several pockets and you can fit a bit more stuff in though it will get to be a tight fit. I have the black one but they also have a brown version that's 5$ cheaper at the moment.

Rob
Thanks!

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Hunchback Jack wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
SandChigger wrote:

Er, Freak, a laptop doesn't make you invisible, you know.

;)

HBJ
:laughing-rolling:

MUCH better than what I came up with! :lol:

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

ZonSys wrote:In Stock.
We are not able to ship this item to your default shipping address.
MOFO BIOTCH! :angry-screaming:

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Here are the pics of my bag and all the gear I carry with it.

Ipad in case, wireless keyboard, 6 ft cable, adaptor, stylus, usb cable, component plug ins for projectors, and pen.

Everything slid into place, some, you cannot see.

Another angle.

With the flap shut and a side view.

Rob
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

That's a nice setup. :)=

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Says the owner of the avatar whose side view is not appreciably different from his front and whose flap is never shut. :P

SandRider
Judge of the Change

Post by SandRider »

Omphalos wrote:I just disvovered something new. Hold down vowel keys or non letter keys on the naive iPad keyboard and it gives you some options. Cool.
WTF is a naive iPad keyboard ?

are you blaming the user-input device for your inability to spell "discovered" correctly,
because it doesn't know any better ?
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

The iPad does not come with a normal keyboard. Instead of a plastic deck with keys, it has pictures of keys that you tap to input:

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-th ... ard-2010-1

It can be a pain because I find impossible to do anything other than hunt and peck, and its difficult to get used to because it comes in two sizes, depending on how you have the thing oriented.

Plus I have my proofer turned off; it wants to proof everything I type including, for example, things into a Google search window. PITA!

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SandChigger wrote:Says the owner of the avatar whose side view is not appreciably different from his front and whose flap is never shut. :P
Don't you know, there are only two dimensions? Peace and love, baby, peace and love. Now where's the DMTeapot.

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

That cat is awesome!

~Leto II, God Emperor
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Whoa... definitely.

(Until you realize that's exactly how it looked to him. :shock: :lol: )

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

In the '60s people took LSD to make the world wierd, now they take prozac to make it normal. :?

~Leto II, God Emperor
Eyes High
Momma Eyes

Post by Eyes High »

Thought it was an owl at first.
I shall lift up my eyes unto the glory of the Lord.

Safety's just danger out of place.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

I've gifted the 1st gen iphone on to someone more deserving and treated me to an HTC Desire. It seems a nice bit of kit.

Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

I just had my IT Dept. put in the iPad 2 order for me. Hopefully they'll get it submitted before the iPad 3 comes out :roll:
Serkanner

Post by Serkanner »

I am still contemplating whether spending € 500,00 on a gadget will make me feel happier than spending the same amount of money on beer.
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

Serkanner wrote:I am still contemplating whether spending € 500,00 on a gadget will make me feel happier than spending the same amount of money on beer.
Buy it, then you can invite people with beer to come over and play games on it while you drink. Then tell them to leave.

Return to “General Chat”