The Book of Eli

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

The Book of Eli

Post by Omphalos »

Denzel Washington? Post apocalypse? Im done. That's all I need to hear. Where do I buy my ticket?

http://www.scificool.com/five-new-pictu ... ok-of-eli/
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
GamePlayer

Re: The Book of Eli

Post by GamePlayer »

This looks good. I love Denzel Washington and it'll be great to see Oldman in a villainous role again :)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Omphalos wrote:Denzel Washington? Post apocalypse? Im done. That's all I need to hear. Where do I buy my ticket?
That article's pretty vague on plot details, but still...... hell yeah! I'm in.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

This one seems to be approaching swiftly. These posters make it look like Eli is some sort of Jesus figure.

http://www.scificool.com/character-post ... ok-of-eli/

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

"But if self-replication can be considered a life-form, then intelligence should be, too.
The real problem is that "life" is such an unscientific word" - Masamune Shirow
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

I heard the movie is pretty bad with a dumb twist at the end. The ads still make me want to see it, but I'll probably wait for the DVD.
Reductio ad Hypatiam
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

My mom saw it last night. She said it was good but very slow.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I saw this a few days ago in Seattle. I thought it was good. There were a few breaks in plot, a few things that looks like conveinant ways out of plot holes. That chick from the 70's show played her character pretty much like she did on the program: Hot but annoying. I loved the score. I suppose in the end its a movie about the power of God and how he interacts with the faithful. It was a post-apocalypse movie that was influenced by spagetti western movies and the crusades. The plot twist at the end was right out of left field: They deceived the audience throughout the movie so that nobody would see it coming.

Still, I love Denzel Washington and will watch anything he is in, and I enjoyed this one enough to see it again.

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Took my mom to see it. We both enjoyed ourselves. Afterwords, we spent time going back over the movie and picking out the clues that had been put in concerning the twist. The clues are there, some a bit weak, but the effort was made to not "cheat" the audience. It does have a strong appeal with christians.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Sounds like good enough reason to wait for satellite or DVD, then.
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

PM me the clues, Rob. I didn't see a one of them.

Did you watch it at work before taking your mom?

Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Omphalos wrote:I suppose in the end its a movie about the power of God and how he interacts with the faithful.
My interest level just took a serious nosedive.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Yep. That's pretty much a deal-killer.
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

SandChigger wrote:Yep. That's pretty much a deal-killer.

It's still worth watching. It has been a while since there was a properly done B movie. The casting is tops and it's a fun ride.

Rob
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Hmmm. Satchan or DVD. If it shows in Hitachi (where I saw Avatar) I might think about it. But no way I'm doing the Tokes for it. (Haven't been in since the last k.d. lang concert ... in 2005? :? )

SandRider
Judge of the Change

Post by SandRider »

wait, hot chick from That 70s Show ?

which one ?

the tall red-head who broke my heart when she went blond,
or the mouthy short one ?

(I don't think you're talking about Debra Jo Rupp)
(but she's hot, too)
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Mila Kunis

She's also the voice of Meg on Family Guy.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandRider wrote:wait, hot chick from That 70s Show ?

which one ?

the tall red-head who broke my heart when she went blond,
or the mouthy short one ?

(I don't think you're talking about Debra Jo Rupp)
(but she's hot, too)
I don't usually go for red-heads, but that one was fine.

Himachil

Post by Himachil »

Definitely enjoyable... haven't got a sodding clue how to interpret the subtext though. :shock=:
And that, children, is how the little bunny rabbit got his fluffy white tail.

As a minimum, we must demand from SF that it be wiser than the world it speaks to.
--Darko Suvin; On the Poetics of the Science Fiction Genre
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

I finally got around to watching this on DVD, and wow, what a piece of garbage. One of the worst post-apoc movies I've seen, and quite possibly the worst thing I've ever seen Denzel Washington in. Even setting aside the obvious silliness of being able to single-handedly fight and kill a dozen opponents without breaking a sweat, or taking a bullet to the guts and then getting up and walking away (and even rowing a boat!), I just couldn't buy the basic premise of the movie. So after the big disaster, all the countless millions and millions of Bibles are destroyed with such attention to detail that only one, or maybe a few, survive? Really? Come on, really!? And if the nutcase villain really thinks religion is a useful tool for control, then why not just invent one? It's been done thousands of times before, after all.
lotek
Archivist

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla wrote:Mila Kunis

She's also the voice of Meg on Family Guy.
what what what???

Shut up Meg that's her???

I just had to google it...
and surprise surprise; so was Lacey Chabert

Man I really love Family Guy! And I'll never see Meg in the same light now :shock:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I saw the book of Eli...
It was watchable in a mindless way, but Mad Max was better!
In short, the Jihad is over. It ended just as SandRider predicted it would, not with a bang or even a whimper, by simple attrition.
- D. Pope
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Liege-Killer wrote:I finally got around to watching this on DVD, and wow, what a piece of garbage. One of the worst post-apoc movies I've seen, and quite possibly the worst thing I've ever seen Denzel Washington in. Even setting aside the obvious silliness of being able to single-handedly fight and kill a dozen opponents without breaking a sweat, or taking a bullet to the guts and then getting up and walking away (and even rowing a boat!), I just couldn't buy the basic premise of the movie. So after the big disaster, all the countless millions and millions of Bibles are destroyed with such attention to detail that only one, or maybe a few, survive? Really? Come on, really!? And if the nutcase villain really thinks religion is a useful tool for control, then why not just invent one? It's been done thousands of times before, after all.
C'mon. The worst? The Book of Eli compares in quality with The Day After Tomorrow?

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Omphalos wrote:
Liege-Killer wrote:I finally got around to watching this on DVD, and wow, what a piece of garbage. One of the worst post-apoc movies I've seen, and quite possibly the worst thing I've ever seen Denzel Washington in. Even setting aside the obvious silliness of being able to single-handedly fight and kill a dozen opponents without breaking a sweat, or taking a bullet to the guts and then getting up and walking away (and even rowing a boat!), I just couldn't buy the basic premise of the movie. So after the big disaster, all the countless millions and millions of Bibles are destroyed with such attention to detail that only one, or maybe a few, survive? Really? Come on, really!? And if the nutcase villain really thinks religion is a useful tool for control, then why not just invent one? It's been done thousands of times before, after all.
C'mon. The worst? The Book of Eli compares in quality with The Day After Tomorrow?
No way was it worse than Damnation Alley or Cherry 3000!

Rob
lotek
Archivist

Post by lotek »

the day after tomorrow was reaaal bad!
The Book of Eli was less boring at least :)
In short, the Jihad is over. It ended just as SandRider predicted it would, not with a bang or even a whimper, by simple attrition.
- D. Pope
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Hmmm...... yeah, I'll stand by what I said. One of the worst (not the worst) post-apoc movies I've seen. Not necessarily one of the worst three or four, but maybe one of the worst dozen or twenty or so. I'm sure there are lots of really bad ones out there, but to me this one was really bad too.

And I really can't think of any of DW's other movies that I liked less than this one.

Call me Mr. Negativity. :P
lotek
Archivist

Post by lotek »

I rewatched it last night, and it felt like when I was playing Fallout 3 :)

- D. Pope
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

lotek wrote:I rewatched it last night, and it felt like when I was playing Fallout 3 :)
During the opening scene when he wore that mask, I thought to myself "hey, it's Fallout 3!" :lol=: One could almost believe the resemblance was intentional. It would have been a better movie if they'd taken everything from Fallout 3, including the plot.

lotek
Archivist

Post by lotek »

It's really weird, and in this case I don't believe in coincidence, so it is either an overblown homage or a blatant case of plagiarism!

And yes the scenario from Fallout3 is much better!
- D. Pope
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Could well be a homage. The film makes also gave a nudge and a wink to the movie "A Boy and His Dog." The had one of the films old movie posters in one of the scenes.

Rob
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Robspierre wrote:..."A Boy and His Dog."...
Is that any good? I saw it while browsing Netflix and it looked interesting.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:
Fantastic cult film. I loved it when I was a kid, and have been thinking of getting it again.

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Fantastic cult film. I loved it when I was a kid, and have been thinking of getting it again.
I'll add it to the queue, thanks.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

What he said. Just watched it streaming from Netflix the other day.

Rob
lotek
Archivist

Post by lotek »

hey thanks for that one!
I'll watch it tonight ;)

Just checking the Imdb for it and surprise surprise, it has Don Johnson in it... and in the lead role!
Bloody Sonny Crockett :mrgreen:
- D. Pope
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

SandChigger wrote:Sounds like good enough reason to wait for satellite or DVD, then.
A year and change later and it turns out I was so right to wait and not spend any extra money on this one.

Look, I like Washington and Oldman and none of the acting really stank and it was OK while I was watching it...

But as soon as it was over and the credits started rolling... after that ending... I just said, "Ugh."

Ugh. Just ugh.

I guess I'm just really not into the whole apocalypse thing. Oh well.

ionah

Post by ionah »

i just watched this one last week... and sometimes i was just clicking on "move forward" to skip some useless talk... I think the film was just not inspiring me enough, although i thought i would have liked it :s too bad...

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”