About the board

Any old topic will do, I suppose.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

About the board

Post by Omphalos »

Im just learning how to use this board, so some things will come in time. I think I have avatars turned on, but mine isnt getting used, so I will consult with my brother and see what Im doing wrong. If you notice anything, please let me know.

As for rules around here, they are being developed as we go along. Just stick to the basics for now. No harassment, no undue swearing, nothing illegal at all, no trying to hack into the control panel, no big pics and absolutely no ads, and we should be fine. Above, all make sense in what you post, and I wont get pissed.

And really, welcome. Im glad you all are here. Feel free to spread the word and invite others, please.
Last edited by Omphalos on Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Hypatia

Post by Hypatia »

Last edited by Hypatia on Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Ive got this on a list. Once you see my avatar up, you will know its good to go with yours.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

Eru

Post by Eru »

I think you've got your first spammer, Omph...You're a real forum now...
"We must make an Idol of our fear and call it God"

--The Seventh Sign
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Hope I did that correctly. I did not know where to find the IP address to ban that, so I may have to go back when they reappear.

Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

What the fuck is "undue swearing?"

:wink:
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Phaedrus wrote:What the fuck is "undue swearing?"

:wink:
That's not it!

Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Dammit I was looking forward to the harassment!
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I think it can be said that most things about me are "loose," including my definition of harassment. I think that this is just the place for you, my dearie!

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Omphalos wrote:I think it can be said that most things about me are "loose"
Dude...really sorry, but more than I needed to know. Tried more fiber? ;)
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I think it can be said that most things about me are "loose"
Dude...really sorry, but more than I needed to know. Tried more fiber? ;)
I could send you some photos if you like. :lol:

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Was the server down for a while a few hours ago?

One minute everything was fine and then it was "network connection lost". The reviews site, blog, this board...nothing came up. (And it wasn't the office connection, either, because everything came up normally.)

It was a lonely feeling. :(

(Btw, you edited in the bug-eyes cat above, didn't you, Omph. You bad. :lol:)
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

SandChigger wrote:Was the server down for a while a few hours ago?

One minute everything was fine and then it was "network connection lost". The reviews site, blog, this board...nothing came up. (And it wasn't the office connection, either, because everything came up normally.)

It was a lonely feeling. :(

(Btw, you edited in the bug-eyes cat above, didn't you, Omph. You bad. :lol:)
Here, too.
Narf!
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Me too. I think that is what happened. Raggy can fill us in.

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Hope it's not serious. I was suffering from withdrawal after I got that error message :)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

The servers that we use are in San Francisco, and are pretty reliable. If they went all flooey last night (and yes, I hear that is a valid programming term), then it will only be the second time in six or so years. And even so, none of my or Raggy's sites have ever lost any data. But fret not, if something bad should happen, I have asked Raggy to back this board up nightly, and it can be ported elsewhere. Just be sure that your e-mail link in your profile is up-to-date and if we ever have to move, I will send out a mass e-mail when we are up and running again.

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:(Btw, you edited in the bug-eyes cat above, didn't you, Omph. You bad. :lol:)
Hey, I just thought it deserved the light of day! And it is such a pweddy puddy, no?

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Something I should have checked on before posting:

I mentioned "Omphalos' BBS" over on Arrakeen when I reposted Freak's Mars thing...was that a mistake? If so, I'll go edit it.

Also, I've been wondering if it would be OK to put a link here from my blog?

(I figure since the spammers have found you, there must be an open link here somewhere. I forget if there is one in the Links section of your review site...???)
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Something I should have checked on before posting:

I mentioned "Omphalos' BBS" over on Arrakeen when I reposted Freak's Mars thing...was that a mistake? If so, I'll go edit it.
Not at all. We are not a secret. but I will continue to be picky about who gets on. Just be sure to drop me a note if you want me to approve someone I dont know. I have no problem with friends of friends coming to the party.
SandChigger wrote:Also, I've been wondering if it would be OK to put a link here from my blog?

(I figure since the spammers have found you, there must be an open link here somewhere. I forget if there is one in the Links section of your review site...???)
Sure. We will be adding a sign-on screen that (hopefully) defies OCR, so those slimey fucking spammers may die down soon. I think I link to here on my blog and the book review site, so that was probalby how they found me.

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Re: About the board

Post by Omphalos »

Hi all,

I have been doing a great deal of learnin' 'bout phpbb3 lately. It actually is radically different than phpbb2 is, especially in how fourms are created.

two new things that we can have are link-only threads, and sub-forums. I'm a little ambivalent about both; I think that link-threads (where you click on a thread title and are taken to a new website) take up too much space on the main board, and sub-forums make things too confusing. I am about to add some new forums for Askaris de Dar to start putting up some of his archiving and bibliography work, and because of the way he has that stuff structured, I anticipate that those forums will have subforum threads. But I wanted to ask how the rest of you felt about subforums on the rest of the board.

My opinion is that we can navigate pretty easily with what we have. But Im open to alternative thoughts.

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Yeah, i'm good the way things are...I remember sub-forums at Arrakeen and it was a pain in the ass... :naughty:
Neutrinos watch alert !

Mandy

Post by Mandy »

I don't really care for subforums.. or a lot of forums. There are already a lot of underutilized forums here, hope you consider getting rid of a few of them, not deleting the content, just merging them with other forums.
Reductio ad Hypatiam
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Mandy wrote:I don't really care for subforums.. or a lot of forums. There are already a lot of underutilized forums here, hope you consider getting rid of a few of them, not deleting the content, just merging them with other forums.
I am, actually. I'm considering moving all of Freak's reviews off the main page, since he has them over at Jacurutu, and, I hope, he followed my advice to back them up on his hard drive and/or on a flash drive.

As for the other threads in The Largely Undeleted section, I have been thinking about how to consolidate them too. Not exactly sure how I would do that though, as most of the threads themselves are pretty different. I guess I could move the content of Basic Board Stuff into General Chat. Ill start with that. Maybe Genre Books too.

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

The boards could use trimming. As others have said, we've got many dead forums already. Other than that, no complaints.

You could also try a sub-forum in one of the more popular forums (Ghafla) and pick a regular thread that keeps coming up. "Random Crap" might make for a good test of the sub-forum feature.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:The boards could use trimming. As others have said, we've got many dead forums already. Other than that, no complaints.

do you mean consolidate the number of forums, move dead topics to the archives, or both?
(Ghafla)
I'll be sure to do that over at Jacurutu, where that forum is. :wink:

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

OK. I have moved Freakzilla's book discussions to the Archives section and set it up as forum with subforums. I think that they are locked (the intention was always to have them as archives only copies) but take a look and see what you think.

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

For those of you who do not like the cluttered look of the board (and I think it will change some more here), try using this URL as a link when you come in:

viewforum.php?f=40

That is to The Largely Undeleted only, without the other forums. You can still see if anything is going on by clicking on the links to the entire board at the bottom or top of the page, or by clicking on "View new posts."

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

You know, I never get what all the bitching and moaning is about. About the only time I look at the front/index pages is when I log in and if I'm looking for a particular thread or just browsing around looking at older stuff. Otherwise I navigate using the new posts or search functions. So I'm not bothered one way or the other. ;)
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

SandChigger wrote:You know, I never get what all the bitching and moaning is about. About the only time I look at the front/index pages is when I log in and if I'm looking for a particular thread or just browsing around looking at older stuff. Otherwise I navigate using the new posts or search functions. So I'm not bothered one way or the other. ;)
same my bookmark takes me right to the new posts page so the number of forums doesnt bother me at all
I am not my own.
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

I always start on the main index page on all the forums I go to. Most of them are a lot busier than this one though, lots of stuff I'm not interested in reading.
Reductio ad Hypatiam
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Ive had a bunch of non-spammy people register lately, but I have not known any of them so I deleted them all. One of them was called "Susanspy," which I thought was kind of funny because Hyppo's real name is Sue. But if anyone has an OH friend they can vouch for, I will be OK approving them. Just let me know, otherwise I probably wont.

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Omphalos wrote:Ive had a bunch of non-spammy people register lately, but I have not known any of them so I deleted them all. One of them was called "Susanspy," which I thought was kind of funny because Hyppo's real name is Sue. But if anyone has an OH friend they can vouch for, I will be OK approving them. Just let me know, otherwise I probably wont.
I think indyman should be let in here so he can post some stuff in the secret clubhouse from the " KJA's special retards" site
I am not my own.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Ive had a bunch of non-spammy people register lately, but I have not known any of them so I deleted them all. One of them was called "Susanspy," which I thought was kind of funny because Hyppo's real name is Sue. But if anyone has an OH friend they can vouch for, I will be OK approving them. Just let me know, otherwise I probably wont.
I think indyman should be let in here so he can post some stuff in the secret clubhouse from the " KJA's special retards" site
Where is Indyman from? I dont know him at all. I pretty much stay here these days and don't venture out any longer. I guess he is an OH? I ask because I already nuked him once, but if he is OH, that's cool with me.

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Omphalos wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:
Where is Indyman from? I dont know him at all. I pretty much stay here these days and don't venture out any longer. I guess he is an OH? I ask because I already nuked him once, but if he is OH, that's cool with me.
he's on jacurutu. i told him to join here... i'll tell him to re-try
I am not my own.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

I think some of Askaris' friends were going to join up, too. Maybe we should get him to send you a list. (I'm pretty sure "ionah" is one of them.)
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:I think some of Askaris' friends were going to join up, too. Maybe we should get him to send you a list. (I'm pretty sure "ionah" is one of them.)
Askaris knows to clue me in when one of the French cabal wants to join. That's how Ionah joined successfully.

ionah

Post by ionah »

do not shout it too loud, but yes indeed, i am a "friend of Askaris" ... :mrgreen:

:animals-dogrun: btw, i love your smiley's collection ...
ᴶᵛᵀᴬ
Joseph-Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

Welcome my friend ! :D More froggies soon !!! :animals-frog: :animals-frog: :animals-frog:
:animals-frog: :animals-frog: :animals-frog: :animals-frog: :animals-frog: :animals-frog:
:animals-frog: :animals-frog: :animals-frog: :animals-frog: :animals-frog: :animals-frog:
    Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
    ۞ Shaihuludata gigantica Gratia, Fidei defensor ۞
      Rakis

Post by Rakis »

It's an invasion, i tell ya !!! :lol:
      Neutrinos watch alert !

SandRider
      Judge of the Change

Post by SandRider »

ionah wrote:
      do not shout it too loud, but yes indeed, i am a "friend of Askaris" ... :mrgreen:

Welcome. Your Water is Ours.

Return to “General Chat”