Flash Forward

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Flash Forward

Post by Omphalos »

This looks great. The team of authors have a pretty good pedigree, it came from HBO, and the plot looks wonderful. Cant wait for it to come out.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Man, Goyer is just getting pimped out to the extreme. Good for him, but it's kinda funny :)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Oh yeah, read about that a few days ago, sounds interesting.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
SandChigger
Archivist

Re: Flash Forward

Post by SandChigger »

Didn't the pilot air the other night? (I saw the ads for it and thought they said it was scheduled for the 25th... ???)

Anyone catch it?
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Star Dust

Post by Star Dust »

It has potential. The acting was pretty stiff, not really any characters that stood out imo. Also they were a little fast on feeding us the mystery and conspiracy bits - seems they could have held on to those a little longer instead of diving right in to the "smoking man" stuff. Still though, great premise, and the clip montage of future episodes looks intriguing.

Also, this is loosely based on a book of the same name. The wiki on the book looks very interesting.
DN banned: Sep 14, 2008
==================
SandRider
Judge of the Change

Post by SandRider »

my only weekly episodic TV this year is Sons of Anarchy on FX ....

and it's kinda turning bottom of the barrel ...
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

It looked like one of those things I might watch if it were on on the tube in front of me. But I think I've said before that I'm (a little?) less exacting when it comes to my mind-off-just-vegge visual SF. ;)

From what I've seen of the premise, though... hmmm. And the original is by Canada's answer to KJA, Robert Sawyer, right?
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Fuck. Missed it. But...Robert Sawyer? Perfect choice for mass-media, dumbed down SF.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:Didn't the pilot air the other night? (I saw the ads for it and thought they said it was scheduled for the 25th... ???)

Anyone catch it?
Saw it and didn't much care for it. I felt the same about Lost though and now I like that show. There are quite a few problems that I don't think they've considered in the premise, but the last 10 seconds of it were enough to hook me for a couple of more episodes at least. I'm sure it will get better. My wife and I had a good time pretending that the actors were actually other well-known actors.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Nekhrun wrote:My wife and I had a good time pretending that the actors were actually other well-known actors.
OK ... I'll bite: :?: :?: :?: :D

Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:My wife and I had a good time pretending that the actors were actually other well-known actors.
OK ... I'll bite: :?: :?: :?: :D
My wife started it by insisting that the blond in the show was Juliet from Lost. I said, "No fucking way is that her!" She still insisted, and then every time a new character popped up I said, "Oh look, it's __________!" She played along for a bit; then she got mad and went to bed. So while I implied that both of us had a good time, it was really just me. That pretty much sums up every night around here.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:

In short, you were a dude and drove it into the ground. :D
Star Dust

Post by Star Dust »

So did you ever tell her it was actually Penny from Lost? Or maybe the commercials for V confused her as Juliette from Lost is on those commercials.
==================
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

Star Dust wrote:So did you ever tell her it was actually Penny from Lost? Or maybe the commercials for V confused her as Juliette from Lost is on those commercials.
That would be helping, so...no. :whistle:
Besides, if I did, she'd claim that's what she meant. Then we'd have to get into a whole thing about lying.
Star Dust

Post by Star Dust »

Nekhrun wrote:
Star Dust wrote:So did you ever tell her it was actually Penny from Lost? Or maybe the commercials for V confused her as Juliette from Lost is on those commercials.
Besides, if I did, she'd claim that's what she meant. Then we'd have to get into a whole thing about lying.
Right, and clearly that is a discussion to be avoided. I like the way you think. ;) My future ex-wife is...gullible. It is SO HARD not fuck with that. hee hee
==================
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

Star Dust wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
Right, and clearly that is a discussion to be avoided. I like the way you think. ;) My future ex-wife is...gullible. It is SO HARD not fuck with that. hee hee
Well, I just had to try it. I brought it up again and the discussion went exactly as I predicted. She claimed that's who she was talking about, we argued for awhile then left the restaurant. I was done eating anyway. :D
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

DUDE SCORE! :lol:

Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

Maybe I'll start a thread for stupid arguments (non-preeq).
Star Dust

Post by Star Dust »

Episode 2 treaded water, imo.
==================
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Nekhrun wrote:
Star Dust wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
Well, I just had to try it. I brought it up again and the discussion went exactly as I predicted. She claimed that's who she was talking about, we argued for awhile then left the restaurant. I was done eating anyway. :D
:lol=: Can't wait to be married to have so much fun ! :mrgreen:
Neutrinos watch alert !

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

AXN, one of my satchans (= AX[tio]N TV?), is going to start showing this soon. (Next month or March, maybe April ... you can tell how much attention I'm paying!) What was the verdict?

(I think the general idea, what I remember hearing about it, was shit, but I haven't looked into it since we were discussing it here last fall.)

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

From the mind of Robert Sawyer! No thanks. But...I didn't watch it at all, so what do I know?

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah, Canada's answer to KJA, right?

I figure I can go to my grave without having had the pleasure. :P

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Yeah, I actually read and enjoyed a couple of his books when I was younger, but I don't think I'd enjoy them if I read them now. To be fair to Robert, he's not even on the same planet of hackery that KJA is. Robert is simply a mediocre/sub-par writer who's had a lot of undeserved hype, which makes him looks worse than he actually is.
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

He incorporates law into quite a few of his books, which is the only reason Ive ever crossed paths with his books. He gets a lot of that right, or at least right enough, but most of his books are just ho-hum.

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Sndchigger, for all the scifi flubbery is just a time hole. Not worth your attention. I had the misfortune to watch it with t' missus. The shite you have to put up with for clean socks and hot food. :think:
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

-Rimmer’s farewell speech
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

:D

I'm not wild about time travel stories to begin with (as I'm sure I've mentioned repeatedly), and this new "can't send matter through time, but mental energy goes fine!" bullshit, I mean, concept is starting to wear a bit thin. (Not sure if that's what this one's really about, since I still haven't read anything definitive on it yet, but that's my general impression. Feh.)

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”