Anyone know this series?

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
SandChigger
Archivist

Anyone know this series?

Post by SandChigger »

One day several years ago (six? seven maybe?) when I was home for summer, I caught a few episodes of a series on SciFi (I think) about a ship of alien refugees who had shown up and been in orbit for years. Maybe they hadn't exactly taken over, but relations between them and the people of Earth were a bit strained. The aliens had fled from some other group of aliens that had been oppressing them (some evil space empire, maybe?) and they weren't in the best of health; a lot of the older ones were going into some sort of hibernation phase or something. The alien in control was a bit of a megalomaniac, it seemed, and was seizing more power and becoming more unreasonable as more of the older, wiser aliens were out of the picture. One of the main human characters was evidently the result of an alien-human hybrid experiment and there was some uncertainty as to the exact nature of his abilities ... and his loyalties, but he worked for the government agency responsible for dealing with the aliens. One of the episodes I saw involved him going aboard the alien ship to try to wake up one of the alien elders who had been cooperative (or more favorably disposed towards humans?) in the past.

This sound familiar to anyone at all?

(I've been wondering about this one for a long time, and the new series mentioned here recently reminded me of it. I don't think I've asked before—couldn't find a thread about it here—but if I have, sorry for the repetition. :P )
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Re: Anyone know this series?

Post by Omphalos »

You know about Alien Nation, so it cant be that one.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah, it wasn't that. It was probably just another of those one-season wonders, and I only saw three or four episodes back to back on that one afternoon. It wasn't particularly good, either, that I remember, it's just I've always wondered since what it was. :(
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Was it one of those older Vancouver shows? I can often tell those at a glance. The production values are so consistent.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

According to the IMDB, the show was all US made and shot on US locations. But it's not exactly an exhaustive profile, so I suppose the show could have been shot in some parts of Canada. The Wiki states there were 5 TV movies made after the series was canceled, so there appears to be quite a bit of material even beyond the one-season run time.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Um, what series are you talking about, GP? Alien Nation?

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

I thought that's what it was. Never mind then.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

No, sorry, this was something very different.

No James Caan or Criminal Mind guy (Potempkin? Whatever), no funny language with clicks, no makey-ET-go-fizzy with tap water. :P

And their spaceship remained in orbit. (Didn't they land or crash in Alien Nation? Or am I confusing it with this new show coming up?)

I think maybe more than the military/weapons threat, the aliens were exerting some kind of control through the promise of handing over more of their tech; not sure though.

Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Doesn't sound familiar, but you got my curiosity going. Looking through the wiki page of shows aired on SciFi, the only one I can find that seems remotely similar is something called First Wave, which ran from 1998 to 2001.
The Gua are a race older than humanity, coming from a much older star system. As Joshua tells Cade, "Everything on my planet is red, the colour of a tired sun—the colour of death"[1]which indicates that their home system is at a much later stage in its lifespan than our own, and that the sun is entering a late phase of its life. The Gua originally existed peacefully, exploring their inner selves until they were invaded and enslaved. Eventually, they rose up and overthrew their oppressors, taking the name Gua from that climactic, defining event; Gua meaning "power to overcome".

As a consequence of this invasion, the newly-named Gua decided they could no longer afford to be passive and peaceful, and set out on an aggressive, expansionist path. Aware of the limited lifespan of their home planet, they began a campaign to expand into other systems. Thus their invasion of Earth was planned.

Due to the distance between Earth and their own planet, the Gua devised a method of dispatching small metallic orbs containing their consciousnesses through wormholes to Earth and transferring them into specially bioengineered human husks. As a result of this, it is unknown what the Gua actually look like.

These husks contain small amounts of Gua DNA that provide the aliens with an increased rate of healing, strength, speed and intelligence. The husks dissolve and disappear completely when the aliens are killed. The aliens in these husks are tasked with preparing the planet for the Second Wave.
Any of that ring any bells?
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Ah, thanks. I know First Wave (Fèh!) and that wasn't it. (For years one of my satellite channels after another has been showing the Japanese-dubbed version of the first season, so I refused to watch it. Finally one is showing it in bilingual and after watching one or two episodes I decided it was better in Japanese. :P )

I wonder if I reposted over on Worm's if it might ring a bell over there...? :)

Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Are you sure it was on SciFi Channel? Like I said, there's a wiki page listing all the shows they've ever aired, and nothing else seemed similar to your description. Maybe you should take a look yourself, I could be missing something.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

OK, will do.

And no, I'm not 100% sure it was S(uck)yF(uck)y Channel. :P

(Sorry, just getting in some practice for next week. :D )

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

I saw something like what you described on SF about a week ago. The aliens were dying and they harvesting people for some reason or other... it was terrible and I turned it off. Can't remember the name... but I'll try.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

OK.

I'm not sure there was any "harvesting" going on, though.... :?

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

What about Earth : Final Conflict ? :think:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123816/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Neutrinos watch alert !

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

HEY! THAT'S IT!

Rakis, you da man! :D

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

:dance: :banana-linedance: :banana-linedance: :banana-linedance:
Neutrinos watch alert !

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”