Virtuality, another Ron Moore show

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Virtuality, another Ron Moore show

Post by Omphalos »

Here is a link to an article about a show called Virtuality, by Ron Moore that is in the very early stages of development. I'm not sure that the premise is very sound, but I think the project bears watching.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Reminiscent of a Dick story.

Damn...what was it called? :evil:

The one where they end up with a damaged ship in a system with nothing but asteroids and rubble and can't get back to Earth so the crew spends its time in VR adventures designed by the main computer.

Lots of Xian religious imagery. Grrrrr.
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

An entire series about a Holodeck malfunction. I hope it's better than it sounds :)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:An entire series about a Holodeck malfunction. I hope it's better than it sounds :)
Exactly what I thought. though they could do it right and have long running story arcs in the holodeck, and treat every season like a different story with the same characters. That would be cool, but would probably be expensive.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
SandChigger
Archivist

Re: Virtuality, another Ron Moore show

Post by SandChigger »

Someone named Elf over on DN just posted a link to some trailers for this:
dunenovels.com Forum Index » Off-Topic » Virtuality

It's a TV pilot from Ron Moore, and it centers on a crew going on a ten year trip to explore a distant planetary system. Knowing it'll be incredibly long, the ship has virtual reality modules that allow them to do various things like mountain climbing, landscaping, etc. until something goes awry . The atmosphere kinda reminds me of Silent Running and Alien.

Oh and it's directed by Peter Berg as well. Here are some clips.

http://movieweb.com/news/NEn2FsorJlWWro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks better than it first sounded, actually.

Obviously he hasn't read the Dick story I was thinking of...whatever it was. ;)

Edit: Oh yeah, some of the videos were mislinked when I tried to view them. Kept getting some western thang about John Dillinger? :shock:
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Uh, those are commercials SC. The Virtuality videos play afterward :)

I'd have to agree this looks a lot better and more interesting than I originally imagined it. One element of the series that comes across very clearly in these videos is the social commentary. Moore is obviously going to take a stab at our modern society and the social/moral/personal implications of the internet creating an increasingly inter-connected population. I kinda like the premise and the acting looks good, so I'll be eager to check it out.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Oh. D'uh. They seemed awfully long, tho. And some of them started playing content immediately, with no commercial. Hmph. :P

I was kinda iffy until I watched the guy remote the nuke into the engine tube, shoot it out the shipbutt and detonate.

KEWL. :D

(God, I'm such a 14-year-old. :shock: )

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”