New Board

Any old topic will do, I suppose.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

New Board

Post by Omphalos »

As you can clearly tell, the board has been upgraded. I've added no mods yet, save for a good spam catcher, but there are a bunch of themes and a shit-load of new smileys now. If anyone wants any specific mods, post about them here and Ill see. I have a few I will be putting up shortly. There seem to be a lot more screens on this one, and multiple levels in some cases.

Hope you all like it. Its gonna take me some getting used to, but the board is now safer from spam and attack, and has lots of new features. Ill use this topic to post updates.

I'll be adding some graphics soon too.

I'm also happy to set up a test area so you guys can play around.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Ragabash
The Benefactor

Re: New Board

Post by Ragabash »

Omphalos wrote:As you can clearly tell, the board has been upgraded. I've added no mods yet, save for a good spam catcher, but there are a bunch of themes and a shit-load of new smileys now. If anyone wants any specific mods, post about them here and Ill see. I have a few I will be putting up shortly. There seem to be a lot more screens on this one, and multiple levels in some cases.

Hope you all like it. Its gonna take me some getting used to, but the board is now safer from spam and attack, and has lots of new features. Ill use this topic to post updates.

YEAH

FUCK YEAH
GLaDOS wrote: This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Hehehe, another forum I visit (unrelated to Dune) that uses the exact same software you guys use just upgraded the other day. What a coincidence! :)

I don't see the vomit smiley. So were going to need to add that. But the existing list is so massive, I think we'll be covered by everything else!

Everything looks good otherwise. Little adjustment period, but shouldn't be a problem. Congrats!
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

One other question; is it possible to increase the font size of the member names? I think a larger sized name would be better to separate it from the rest of the small text.

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Not at all sure. :lol:

I'll look into it. Looks like we are being bombed by spammers again.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

FYI, there are several themes loaded here, including a minimalist skin for dial-up users. Just go to the "User Control Panel" and click on "Board Preferences," and locate the "Board Styles" dropdown. All of them are there.

:character-beavisbutthead:

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Also, we have fixed the e-mail notification issues from the last board. I would appreciate it if you guys would not request the system notify you of new posts by e-mail. I know that some of you like surfing the board that way, but it really bogs down the e-mail server we use, and crashed it the last time. It would work better if you just clicked on the "View New Posts" each time you visited.

Thanks.

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:I don't see the vomit smiley. So were going to need to add that.
Its in there GamePlayer. I saw it last night when I loaded them. Its the one that pukes out of its eyes.

Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Awesome! I love it.
Reductio ad Hypatiam
Himachil

Post by Himachil »

Looks good.

You're right... that is a shit-load of smilies. I'm sure they'll come in handy.

:obscene-moneypiss: :puke-huge:
And that, children, is how the little bunny rabbit got his fluffy white tail.

As a minimum, we must demand from SF that it be wiser than the world it speaks to.
--Darko Suvin; On the Poetics of the Science Fiction Genre
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

GamePlayer wrote:One other question; is it possible to increase the font size of the member names? I think a larger sized name would be better to separate it from the rest of the small text.
The user name font size is different in the few skins I've tried out.
Reductio ad Hypatiam
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Kewl. :D

Edit: When is Jacurutu upgrading? ;)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
SandRider
Judge of the Change

Post by SandRider »

can we have less than a zillion posts per page on this one ?
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandRider wrote:can we have less than a zillion posts per page on this one ?
Lowered to 25. I'll see how I like it. 12 is too few. I kind of like 45 per page, but this is the second complaint I have gotten, so....

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

i like it... and i like the 25 posts per page... would be nice at jacurutu too TBH.

i like the new smileys :D

gonna go check out the skins now :dance:
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Himachil wrote:Looks good.

You're right... that is a shit-load of smilies. I'm sure they'll come in handy.

:obscene-moneypiss: :puke-huge:
The pissing monkey looks fantastic on both of the two black themes. :wink:

Eyes High
Momma Eyes

Post by Eyes High »

Cool. I like this :text-bravo:
And lhanks for all the smilies: :text-thankyoublue:

:angelic-little: I wouldn't mind some of this over at Jacarutu and Worm's

Gone to check out some posts and the skins. Thanks again for upgrading and the smilies :D
I shall lift up my eyes unto the glory of the Lord.

Safety's just danger out of place.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Great smileys - :gay-imgay: :gay-imgay:
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Love the new board guys.
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

-Rimmer’s farewell speech
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Ragabash wrote:
Omphalos wrote:As you can clearly tell, the board has been upgraded. I've added no mods yet, save for a good spam catcher, but there are a bunch of themes and a shit-load of new smileys now. If anyone wants any specific mods, post about them here and Ill see. I have a few I will be putting up shortly. There seem to be a lot more screens on this one, and multiple levels in some cases.

YEAH

FUCK YEAH
My sentiment exactly... :happy-jumpeveryone:

It's gonna take some time to choose a smiley now...
Neutrinos watch alert !

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

yeah that's a fuckload of smileys :P
I see why you added this one, Omph :techie-hal:
I am not my own.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

:D

I was even thinking of making my HAL avatar the logo for the board, and switching avatars.

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Omphalos wrote::D

I was even thinking of making my HAL avatar the logo for the board, and switching avatars.
you should make a HAL-based logo for your umbrella page... it would suit well I think
I am not my own.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Wow... I'm so lost and confused now... this is going to take some getting used to!
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Wow... I'm so lost and confused now... this is going to take some getting used to!
I just switched back to my old theme... basically everything's the same except for the added functions... couldnt handle the avatars on the right :P
I am not my own.
A Thing of Eternity

Baraka Bryan wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Wow... I'm so lost and confused now... this is going to take some getting used to!
I just switched back to my old theme... basically everything's the same except for the added functions... couldnt handle the avatars on the right :P
That's driving me nuts too, I think I'll go back to oldschool myself right now.
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Most of the stuff you are going to want, on just about all of the themes, is either on the top of the board, or in the User Control Panel (abbreviated "UCP" on some themes). Just mess around with that stuff and you will get it down pretty quickly.

You are right though, it is taking me some getting use to also. Another reason I did not do Jacurutu yet. That one is a ton more active and the confusion would be probably exponentially greater. We can do that one once everyone is fine with this one here. I have a feeling though that we will be discovering new shit for some time to come.

You outta see the admin panels. Very repetitive, IMHO, and needlessly complex.

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:Kewl. :D

Yeah, can you update Jacurutu, too? :clap:
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Kewl. :D

Yeah, can you update Jacurutu, too? :clap:
Of course. Just wanted to hear from you first, Freak. In all likelihood we can get it done in the next few weeks. We just have to find some time to sit down and do it. It takes quite a bit of work to finish (about six hours for this on Saturday).

Im finding that most of the mods people have asked for are already integrated into the new board, but if you want any let me know.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

With the activity level over there, you might want to announce it (several times?) beforehand and close the board to (non-admin) logins before beginning the update process. ;)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:With the activity level over there, you might want to announce it (several times?) beforehand and close the board to (non-admin) logins before beginning the update process. ;)
Good idea on the announcements. We did in fact shut this place down on Saturday. I noticed that we had to boot Schu off (as everyone east of us was probably asleep when we did it). :wink:

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

I thought it would be a useful idea if we make mention of new board features that we come across here.
The one I just noticed was if a post is made once you have started your reply you get a wee preview of it above where you're typing.
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:
SandChigger wrote:With the activity level over there, you might want to announce it (several times?) beforehand and close the board to (non-admin) logins before beginning the update process. ;)
Good idea on the announcements. We did in fact shut this place down on Saturday. I noticed that we had to boot Schu off (as everyone east of us was probably asleep when we did it). :wink:
Let me know when you want to do it and I'll make the announcement.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

i love the new search function and how pressing 'back' to the 'view new posts' search updates the list, but doesn't make you wait like 10 seconds before doing so.

much better boardware IMHO
I am not my own.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
It'll probably be in May when we can set aside the time. Hope that works for you, Freak.

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Omphalos wrote:
Ah...That explains it... :)
Neutrinos watch alert !

Ragabash
The Benefactor

Post by Ragabash »

FYI, the board was offline for a few seconds this evening (about half an hour ago) to deploy a patched release of the board engine. The patch only affects new account creation, and constitutes solely of a new CAPTCHA system that employs the judicious use of OMG CUTE KITTENS!!!!111one

Apologies if your board browsing experience was interrupted by the brief outage (cf. CUTE KITTENS!!!!111one)

--the super
GLaDOS wrote: This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Ragabash wrote:FYI, the board was offline for a few seconds this evening (about half an hour ago) to deploy a patched release of the board engine. The patch only affects new account creation, and constitutes solely of a new CAPTCHA system that employs the judicious use of OMG CUTE KITTENS!!!!111one

Apologies if your board browsing experience was interrupted by the brief outage (cf. CUTE KITTENS!!!!111one)

--the super
Soon to be Fremen and ornithipters, once I get to a 'croppin!

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
It'll probably be in May when we can set aside the time. Hope that works for you, Freak.
I'll make it work, just say when. :D
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

I just wanted to say this new board is working out great. I love all the added features, especially since I've been used to them on other boards. It makes the experience here much better. Thanks for upgrading the forums. Your hard work is appreciated.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

And think of the coup it will be when Jacurutu upgrades and Dumb Numbels is still floundering along using the old version. :snooty:

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

SandChigger wrote:And think of the coup it will be when Jacurutu upgrades and Dumb Numbels is still floundering along using the old version. :snooty:
Decadent crap? :)
Neutrinos watch alert !

Eyes High
Momma Eyes

Post by Eyes High »

That's the spirit. Look on the bright side. 8-)

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:I just wanted to say this new board is working out great. I love all the added features, especially since I've been used to them on other boards. It makes the experience here much better. Thanks for upgrading the forums. Your hard work is appreciated.
You're very welcome, from Ragabash too, I'm sure.

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Is there any chance that we could get that 610nm theme installed over, please. It's soooooocooooool :D :D :D :D

Himachil

Post by Himachil »

inhuien wrote:Is there any chance that we could get that 610nm theme installed over, please. It's soooooocooooool :D :D :D :D
That;d just be confusing :P

I'm not usually a fan of blue forums, but eTech is bloody well designed!
And that, children, is how the little bunny rabbit got his fluffy white tail.

As a minimum, we must demand from SF that it be wiser than the world it speaks to.
--Darko Suvin; On the Poetics of the Science Fiction Genre
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Ill try to get 610 mn installed this week sometime.

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

That's super Omphalos, Cheers a million.

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

I'll keep Getaway for this board...I've been using it for some time and it became the official color of the OH's lounge for me... :obscene-smokingsombrero:
Neutrinos watch alert !

ᴶᵛᵀᴬ
Joseph-Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

Bravo Omph ! The new board index is more simple, more legible ! You made a great job this week-end :clap:
    Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
    ۞ Shaihuludata gigantica Gratia, Fidei defensor ۞
      Omphalos
      Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Thanks. I like the cleaner look too. PHPbb3 is extremely versatile. Without the board it would not have been possible.

Hope I got all of the permissions correct. Let me know if you all cannot see specific things and Ill go fix the problem.

Omphalos
      Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Hi all,

I have an announcement to make. After passing through the rigorous gauntlet of security training we have around here, our very own Joseph-V. T. Askaris has been promoted to the position of administrator of the entire T(A)U board. Formerly Joseph was one of our very few moderators, responsible - with others - for the goings on in the LLB project in the basement threads. Now Joseph will be able personally to do more higher-level work on that project. This will definitely make the project - and the whole board - a better place to be.

Please join me in congratulating and thanking Joseph for the time and effort he has given to make this place fantastic.

Eyes High
      Momma Eyes

Post by Eyes High »

Viva mon Joseph. Bien. Way to go Joseph. Very proud of you. :clap: :dance: :clap:

Serkanner

Post by Serkanner »

Good luck Joseph. The project is becoming more and more interesting.
      merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Thank you, Joseph!
      Freakzilla
      Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

This means drinks are on you, Joe. :wink:
      They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
      will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
      SandChigger
      Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Congratulations! :clap: :D
      SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

:clap:
      A Thing of Eternity

Congrats and thanks!

One thing I'd love to see here that has nothing to do with admin, just us all coming up with topics, is more use out of that "themes tropes etc" subforum. I love that stuff, but rarely have ideas of my own to start topics with.
      SandRider
      Judge of the Change

Post by SandRider »

this means that Askaris & his crew can clean-up & add-to the Basement Archive, right ?
      Robspierre
      Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Hooray! Time to raid Sand Riders liquor cabinet!

Rob
      Friends are the family we choose.
      lotek
      Archivist

Post by lotek »

Robspierre wrote:Hooray! Time to raid Sand Riders liquor cabinet!

Rob

and the drugs drawer too ?

"Félicitations Joseph !"
      In short, the Jihad is over. It ended just as SandRider predicted it would, not with a bang or even a whimper, by simple attrition.
      - D. Pope
      inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Omphalos
      Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandRider wrote:this means that Askaris & his crew can clean-up & add-to the Basement Archive, right ?
      Looking for new slave labor? Haven't you got a field hand you can assign that to? :D

lotek
      Archivist

Post by lotek »

SandRider wrote:this means that Askaris & his crew can clean-up & add-to the Basement Archive, right ?

I'll be a (small) part of this, as I am the fulcr... yeah well I am sitting on two chairs with one ass is more like it.

the Basement ?

sounds scary when you say it
      In short, the Jihad is over. It ended just as SandRider predicted it would, not with a bang or even a whimper, by simple attrition.
      - D. Pope
      SandRider
      Judge of the Change

Post by SandRider »

Omphalos wrote:
      Looking for new slave labor? Haven't you got a field hand you can assign that to? :D

D'Pope was down there for quite awhile, and I kinda feel bad about that
      whole episode ... he was still a raw recruit at the time, and like a wild ass
      of the desert, went forth to his work ... ran out in the middle of the information
      highway and started snatching up all the words Keith had spewed about ...

then the poor fucker actually read all that stuff ... it's one thing to
      say KEVIN J. ANDERSON IS AN ASS-HAT PICKLE-FUCKER,
      but quite another to be inundated & overwhelmed by the sheer volume of
      empirical evidence, all straight from the horse-ass' mouth ...

at first, the normal human brain rejects such ass-hattery; surely an
      actual person, much less a semi-public figure, is not this literally retarded ?

then the truth begins to dawn ... initially, there was anger at tehKJA for the
      rough-treatment Frank's story got, but the uninitiated cling to the belief that
      Keith tried, and then there is the whole Frank's Notes thing ...

then, it becomes clear that "the Notes" are a scape-goat & all-purpose escape-clause
      for the flaws in the McDune plotlines ... then, it becomes clear that not only does
      Keith not understand that he is a mediocre hack at best, it is actually quite the
      opposite - Keith sees himself as a Master of SciFi ... and throws infantile tantrums
      when this fantasy is challenged by mere-mortals (who have the gall to use his own
      text
      in their criticisms ...

it is at this point that the Burning Hate sets in ... and also, more damaging,
      a general loss of confidence in the Human Species ... if such a thing as Keith Anderclone's
      McDune can not only exist, but continue to exist and be praised in public
      by the Herbert Family AND tehKJA continues to get projects green-lighted ... well,
      what hope does the rest of Humanity have ?

yeah, yeah ... lemme work on that there ... "McDune" as a Sign of the Apocalypse ...
      lotek
      Archivist

Post by lotek »

talking of wild asses in the desert, and they're riding camels...

how's that for a sign ?

mental note to myself, go back there and mock :
      http://www.writerswrite.com/journal/oct03/andersonb.htm
      - D. Pope
      ᴶᵛᵀᴬ
      Joseph-Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

Dear Master,

Don't worry about that, and if they don't, I'll do it myself meticulously :D
      The Basement Archive & Lampadas are twins : data & metadata.
      Your project is important to us too.

So I am sure there is a lot common and I'm confident that
      we can find synergies that will be mutually beneficial.
      ....For instance, create a new parent category for you and us ? :think:

Regards
      JVTA
      Omphalos wrote:
      Looking for new slave labor? :D
      :bow-yellow:
      Robspierre wrote:Hooray! Time to raid Sand Riders liquor cabinet!

Rob
      :orcs-cheers:

Thank you all for your congratulations. Thank you all very much.

Herbertiana, the Concordantia Dunensis (and Chig projects), the Dune Secondary Source Bibliography, the Basement Archive, the Dune Explorer, the Freakzilla's Reading Room & the Lampadas Library...
      Don't we all have the same goal in mind? We may work in different projects, but we all have the same herbertarian vision. As Robspierre said : « ...provide an outlet for well thought out writing about Frank Herbert and his works. [...] What [we] want is to take the high road, academic based, citations, sources, etc, to insulate against the [KJA] fans. »

I'd especially like to thank Omphalos for his gracious offer and for always supporting me. His encouragement and honest fedback has been of inestimable value to me.
      I'm a foreigner. English is not my mother tongue language. I find myself always think in my own language, and then translate it into English. So I assume I might sound very weird.
      Hopefully, TΛU is not a "Kingdom of the Trolls" :roll: , TΛU is the place to be. An international haven for the Real Dune fans :
      [color=#FF0000]Omphalos[/color] wrote:I also intended it to be an OH refugee, or a place where OH'ers could post as they like without fear of being censored. But with Arrakeen now verboten and DN a wasteland of stupidity, a need for a real Dune board presented itself. I opened a topic on it at TU - might have been T(A)U at that time - and Freak said that he dreamed about running his own Dune site. I asked him if he wanted a section of T(A)U to run on his own w/o interference from me - I thought at the time that it would be best to keep everyone at one place, and some agreed but not all - but Freak preferred having his own URL. So Ragabash set up the board and gave it to Freak to run as he sees fit. T(A)U stayed the way I intended it, though the clubhouse did come after Jacurutu was established. Freak wanted a place that was open to everyone. With that criteria the need for a pure OH forum still existed, so I set it up. I think its worked out very well. Jacurutu has its purpose. T(A)U has its, and everyone who needs to know knows.
      source
      I'm proud to be an Orthodox Herbertarian, proud of who we are and proud of TΛU : « We are OH, We Exist only to serve the Truth »
      Last edited by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
        Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
        ۞ Shaihuludata gigantica Gratia, Fidei defensor ۞
          Omphalos
          Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Nobody is a foreigner on the net, amigo.

But I also guess I should move my Herbert bibliography down to the basement, huh? It'll be in better company down here.

As for a parent category, I do want to do that. Just want to read up on it so I dont frak up the board when I do it.

Return to “General Chat”