Movie recommendations

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Liege-Killer

Movie recommendations

Post by Liege-Killer »

I just started a Netflix account, and I'd like recommendations for my queue.

What are some good movies you've seen that I should check out? I'm looking for lesser-known movies that I may not have heard of before, or overlooked for some reason. They can be science fiction, drama, historical, action, anything along those lines. Anything you like that you think is worth seeing. Thanks.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
Eyes High
Momma Eyes

Post by Eyes High »

Well there's that movie I was asking about in another thread in this forum.

Outlander. It was nice. An alien crash landed during the viking era. more action than science fiction. I'm not for sure if it is out on DVD yet.

I'll try to think of some others.
I shall lift up my eyes unto the glory of the Lord.

Safety's just danger out of place.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

My gawd, where to start? :)
More seriously, how "lesser known" are we talking here? Lesser known main stream films or beyond that? Will you watch foreign or old films? Do you like open ended stories or challenging films?
I'll make some recommendations, but most don't fit into one category. So I'm just going to post them in no particular order, with a brief blurb that hopefully sells them to you :)

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002) - One of George Clooney's earlier films about television entertainer Chuck Barris (Sam Rockwell) who supposedly lived a double life as a Cold War era spook.

The Insider (1999) - A tragically overlooked drama and one of Michael Mann's best (director of Heat, Last of the Mohicans, Ali, Collateral). The trials of a tobacco scientist who decides to speak about the dubious moral policies of cigarette companies.

Serenity (2005) - Little seen flick that's an offshoot of the canceled Firefly TV series. A fun and interesting sci-fi action/adventure film.

Layer Cake (2004) - Great little known drama about a small time drug dealer starring Daniel Craig (the new James Bond).

Swingers (1996) - Hilarious drama/comedy about the world of dating often described as a chick flick for men. Stars Vince Vaughn (now in everything) and Jon Favreau (went on to become the director of Iron Man).

Thank You For Smoking (2005) - A substantive and wildly funny film about a Tobacco lobbyist played by Aaron Eckhart (Harvey Dent/Two-Face in The Dark Knight). Successful, but not widely seen.

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) and Snatch (2000) - Highly entertaining films about tragically incompetent British gangsters. Funny, stylish, charming, and clever. More people should see these.

Shallow Grave (1995) - One of the first films by Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionare), this is a fantastic under-the-radar thriller starring Ewan MacGregor and Christopher Eccelston.

Memento (2000) - Utterly mind-blowing film by director Christopher Nolan (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight). Follows the story of a man with anterograde amnesia (Guy Pearce) trying to solve the murder of his wife.

Let me know about your tastes. If you have a broader palette, I have some more I can strongly recommend.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

I've seen The Insider (good), Memento (good), and Serentity (crap).

Some of those others sound interesting, I'll check 'em out.

As far as my tastes, I'm pretty open, except I'm not that much into comedy.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Eyes High wrote:Outlander. It was nice. An alien crash landed during the viking era. more action than science fiction. I'm not for sure if it is out on DVD yet.
Looks like May. I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I though Outlander was that Sean Connery SF film from the 70's about a mining company on one of the moons of Saturn that was trying to boost production by giving the miners illegal drugs that sped them up. That was a great movie.

Get Children of Men, Soylent Green, 2001, The Abyss, and the latest Dawn of the Dean remake.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Eyes High
Momma Eyes

Post by Eyes High »

I think that one was The Outlander. This one is Outlander.

There was also 10,000 B.C. (I have seen better, but not bad far a night of relaxation)

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Okay, in that case, bring on the foreign! :)

Amelie (2001 - French language) - Jean-Pierre Jeunet's incredibly quirky love story about an almost magical woman (Audrey Tautou) who must learn to fulfill her own life rather than fulfilling the lives of others.

The Devil's Backbone (2001 - Spanish language) - Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth) directs this chilling horror story set during the Spanish Civil War. Smart, creepy and moving.

Infernal Affairs (2002 - Cantonese language) - Though it may be spoiled if you've seen the American remake The Departed, this is a fantastic Chinese thriller about two dangerous men stalking the other; one is a mole for the mob inside the police, the other is an undercover cop infiltrating the mob.

The Motorcycle Diaries (2004 - Spanish language) - Coming of age story that follows the early life of Ernesto Che Guevara traveling through South America in the years before he became a revolutionary.

Nine Queens (2000 - Spanish language) - THE absolutely essential heist film by the late director Fabian Bielinsky. It's the story of two small time con men in Argentina who stumble upon the Nine Queens, a set of stamps worth millions.

Run Lola Run (1999 - German language) - A short but amazing film by director Tom Twyker. Star's Franka Potente (Blow, The Bourne Identity) as Lola, a young woman frantically trying to save the life of a troublesome boyfriend who owes the mob. Electric, frenetic, and hip.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, and Lady Vengeance (2002, 2003, 2006 - Korean language) - Widely known as director Chan-wook Park's "Vengeance Trilogy", these are three unrelated films that explore the same theme of vengeance. Astonishing, violent, provocative and enthralling, but not for the faint of heart.

I'll also add my praise for Alfonso Cuarón's Children of Men (2006), Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) and Zack Snyder's remake of Dawn of the Dead (2004). Those are all solid films. Outland (1981) was okay, but not a great film. Still, it's worth a look if you like sci-fi.
Last edited by GamePlayer on Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

GP, I've already got Oldboy on my list. I saw it a few weeks back on a list of the "most disturbing movies ever" or some such. If I like it, I'll try the others in that "trilogy."
Himachil

Post by Himachil »

Omphalos wrote:...Get Children of Men, Soylent Green, 2001...
Yes, yes and yes.

Also:
The Day the Earth Caught Fire - Incredibly well written 1961 SF based around reporters London.
The Man from Earth - More well written non-action SF about a 14,000 year old man.
Slaughterhouse Five - The book is better... but that doesn't stop this being a brilliant film.

The Fall - A bloke in hospital tells a girl fantastic a story - reality vs. fantasy job. Gorgeous cinematography.
Heavy Metal (and Heavy Metal 2000) - Animated anthologies.
Renaissance - Really stylish cg animation.
Zardoz :)
And that, children, is how the little bunny rabbit got his fluffy white tail.

As a minimum, we must demand from SF that it be wiser than the world it speaks to.
--Darko Suvin; On the Poetics of the Science Fiction Genre
Star Dust

Post by Star Dust »

Repo Man
A very young Emilio Estevez. If that doesn't completely turn you off, give it a try. Campy, culty, with a hint of aliens. Harry Dean Stanton as well.

Fandango
A young Kevin Costner in a road movie. Clever film. Check out the sky-diving instructor. Awesome.

Big Fish
Directed by Helen Bonham-Carter's husband (a famous director whose name escapes me). Visually intense movie, with a fairytale-esque story.

Silent Running
1972ish SciFi. Bruce Dern all alone on a deep-space botanical ship while Earth goes to hell (almost).

Primer
Independent film (budget $7000) about two engineers who accidentally discover time travel. None of the techy speak was dumbed down, was a bit of a hit at Sundance. Early 2003 or 2004 ish.

American Psycho
Well, it's pretty popular, but it IS psychotic.
DN banned: Sep 14, 2008
==================
SandRider
Judge of the Change

Post by SandRider »

second GPs recommendation of "The Motorcycle Diaries"

my favorite movie of the last few years is
"Lovesong for Bobby Long" (2004)

beautiful movie, and Travolta is SO good,
you want to slap him in the mouth for some
of the other bullshit he's done ....

(I'm also partial to this movie because it centers
around Southern Gentlemen & Southern Literature ....)
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

From everything that's been mentioned so far, I've already seen: The Insider, Serenity, Memento, Children of Men, 2001, Soylent Green, The Abyss, Dawn of the Dead (I think), 10,000 B.C. (almost typed B.S. hehe), Outland, Heavy Metal, Repo Man (I think, vague memory), and Silent Running.

Himachil, I've already got Man From Earth and Slaughterhouse 5 in my queue. Will take a look for Day Earth Caught Fire. (Edit: just added that one, as well as Zardoz.)

Star Dust, I think I have Primer queued too.

I'm finding Netflix also has a great selection of documentaries, so any recommendations there would also be welcome.

Thanks, everyone!
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

I don't know if I'd label Oldboy one of the "most disturbing movies ever". Oldboy can be quite a lot to take, but it's a film about vengeance, one that doesn't sanitize the subject. Obviously, if the subject is dealt with honestly, it's going to be a grim film. But I guess everyone has a different definition of what disturbs them. I suppose for those fed on a straight diet of mainstream only fare, any deviation from the norm would be "disturbing". :)

So you like documentaries? Hell yeah! :)

Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room (2005) - Fantastic doc that runs through the people, places and money of the whole Enron scandal. Entertaining, maddening and ever insightful.

The Fog Of War (2003) - Utterly captivating and frank interviews with former U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert S. McNamara. Easily one of the best and most enlightening docs I've ever seen.

March of the Penguins (2005) - It's got penguins! What more does one need? :)

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Ive got Man from Earth in my queue too. Have not seen it yet.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Omphalos wrote:Ive got Man from Earth in my queue too. Have not seen it yet.
Oh!!! I just got done watching that! (One of those you can view via computer instead of waiting for the DVD.)

Excellent, excellent movie! I loved it. For a low-budget movie which is basically just a group of people sitting in a room talking, it's a fascinating, deep, and detailed piece of work. With some very good actors, too. Loved seeing the doctor from Enterprise. Loved the surprise ending. Loved the discussions on history, philosophy, and religion. Great movie!
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Liege-Killer wrote:... and Serentity (crap).

i hate you...

:D

GP, good on you for recommending it tho
I am not my own.
Star Dust

Post by Star Dust »

GamePlayer wrote:Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room (2005) - Fantastic doc that runs through the people, places and money of the whole Enron scandal. Entertaining, maddening and ever insightful.
Brilliant documentary. Unfrickinbelievable.
==================
Star Dust

Post by Star Dust »

I know you didn't specifically request these, but with Netflix you can also get TV shows.

HBO's John Adams mini is great.
HBO's Rome (has its detractors).
Band of Brothers = superb.
Deadwood = awesome.

and lots, lots more of course. :)
==================
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

GamePlayer wrote:So you like documentaries? Hell yeah! :)

Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room (2005) - Fantastic doc that runs through the people, places and money of the whole Enron scandal. Entertaining, maddening and ever insightful.

The Fog Of War (2003) - Utterly captivating and frank interviews with former U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert S. McNamara. Easily one of the best and most enlightening docs I've ever seen.

March of the Penguins (2005) - It's got penguins! What more does one need? :)
I watched one yesterday called What Would Jesus Buy? It's about this group of performance artists who pretend to be a preacher and gospel choir -- the Church of Stop Shopping -- who go around ranting against our hyper-consumptive culture, especially the Christmas shopping madness. I loved it. Hilarious and yet very serious at the same time.

I'll check those others you mentioned.
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Star Dust wrote:I know you didn't specifically request these, but with Netflix you can also get TV shows.

HBO's John Adams mini is great.
HBO's Rome (has its detractors).
Band of Brothers = superb.
Deadwood = awesome.

and lots, lots more of course. :)
Thanks! I knew tv shows were available, but I haven't yet looked into it much. I've seen Rome (good series). I'll look up John Adams for sure, and keep the others in mind.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Who Killed the Electric Car? is a great documentary, especially now that the Auto Industry is just now talking about launching them.

I Second Deadwood,

Sexy Beast -- A retired mobster gets a visit from a psychotic mobster who is sent to convince him to do one last job. Required just to see Ben Kingsley go apeshit.
"On the Eight day, God created Wizards because he knew he'd have to retconn some crazy shit."
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Just saw a movie called Suspension, anyone else seen this? It's about a guy whose family dies in a car crash, and then he finds his son's camcorder is able to stop time. So he uses it to try to help the widow of the guy who died in the other car, but he ends up going psyhco with it and causing lots of trouble. It's cool because I often think about what I'd do with a device like that. Pretty good movie.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Baraka Bryan wrote:GP, good on you for recommending it tho
What's not to love about it? I mean truly (unapologetic fanboy is me) :P :wink:
Star Dust wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room (2005) - Fantastic doc that runs through the people, places and money of the whole Enron scandal. Entertaining, maddening and ever insightful.
Brilliant documentary. Unfrickinbelievable.
Yeah, wasn't it great? I remember on the back cover of the DVD it's got a quote from Ebert that says "I never understood anything about Enron, until I watched this film". Pretty much summarizes me too.
Liege-Killer wrote:I watched one yesterday called What Would Jesus Buy? It's about this group of performance artists who pretend to be a preacher and gospel choir -- the Church of Stop Shopping -- who go around ranting against our hyper-consumptive culture, especially the Christmas shopping madness. I loved it. Hilarious and yet very serious at the same time.

I'll check those others you mentioned.
That sounds really good. I'll have to keep that one in mind.
I think you'll enjoy all the docs I recommended. But let me know what ya think.

Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Baraka Bryan wrote:

i hate you...
Why do people keep saying that to me?? Co-workers, neighbors, random strangers on the street, little kids I pass in the mall, my mom...... and now you too!?? :cry:

:P
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Don't worry, he says that to everyone. I think it's a Hamiltonian greeting or something. (Weird Canadian dialect. ;) )

Rome ... I really wanted to see that but they broadcast it dubbed into Japanese. :evil:
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Ive got the Rome DVD's sitting on my shelf. I'm up to the part where Pompey lost his head.

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Liege-Killer wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:

i hate you...
Why do people keep saying that to me?? Co-workers, neighbors, random strangers on the street, little kids I pass in the mall, my mom...... and now you too!?? :cry:

maybe the problem isn't all the other people :shock: :P
SandChigger wrote:Don't worry, he says that to everyone. I think it's a Hamiltonian greeting or something. (Weird Canadian dialect. ;) )
it's the smog... makes us overly irritable :P
I am not my own.
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Me and my wife have been saying that to each other since before we were married.

:wink:
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Eyes High
Momma Eyes

Post by Eyes High »

Liege-Killer wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:

i hate you...

Don't worry. I like you. :D

Then again I like ALMOST everyone. 8)

Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Ghost in the Shell and Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence - Japanese animation, mind blowing, artistic, philosophical, mandatory.
THX 1138 - George Lucas's first sci-fi film before he went bat shit crazy, hard to believe it's done by the same guy that made star wars.
Akira - Japanese animation, mandatory, mandatory reading of the manga because it's better and the story is way bigger.
A Tale of Two Sisters - Chinese film (if i'm not mistaken), thought provoking horror tale.
Mean Machine - British film, by the same directors of Snatch, soccer match between prison guards and prisoners, funny as hell.
Blue Velvet - David Lynch film, Dennis Hopper at his best.
Twin Peaks - Fire Walk With Me - David Lynch film, requires viewing of the tv series, curiosity: there's an ongoing petition for the release of the deleted scenes.
Lost Highway - Another great David Lynch film.
Wild at Heart - Yet another David Lynch film, Nicholas Cage plays a great role.

Will think of more.
"But if self-replication can be considered a life-form, then intelligence should be, too.
The real problem is that "life" is such an unscientific word" - Masamune Shirow
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Some of my favorites:

River's Edge (1986)

Memorable Quote: "The only reason you hang around is to fuck our mother and eat our food... Mother Fucker! FOOD EATER!"

True Romance (1993)

Memorable Quote: "Do I look like a six-foot blonde with big tits and an ass that tastes like french vanilla ice cream? Then why're you trying to fuck me, huh?"

~Leto II, God Emperor
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I could not stand THX1138. Dystopic vision? Who cares if its fucking boring?

Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Omphalos wrote:I could not stand THX1138. Dystopic vision? Who cares if its fucking boring?
It stole some ideas from Brave New World. But it's the best George Lucas ever attained (except for the Indiana Jones Trilogy) in my opinion, and since it was his first movie, it showed promise. Alas, we know how he turned out.
Last edited by Seraphan on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But if self-replication can be considered a life-form, then intelligence should be, too.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Seraphan wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I could not stand THX1138. Dystopic vision? Who cares if its fucking boring?
It stole some ideas from Brave New World. But it's the best George Lucas ever attained (except from the Indiana Jones Trilogy) in my opinion, and since it was his first movie, it showed promise. Alas, we know how he turned out.
I thought American Graffiti was good... :wink:
Neutrinos watch alert !

Star Dust

Post by Star Dust »

Rakis wrote:
Seraphan wrote:
It stole some ideas from Brave New World. But it's the best George Lucas ever attained (except from the Indiana Jones Trilogy) in my opinion, and since it was his first movie, it showed promise. Alas, we know how he turned out.
I thought American Graffiti was good... :wink:
American Graffiti was good, definitely better than that XYZP167P bore he
made in film school. And the Indiana Jones trilogy?!?! Holy shit, except for
Raiders those are a steaming pile of dung.
==================
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Raiders was good. I was young and loved it. All the others sucked as far as I was concerned.

Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Seraphan, the only Lynch movie I remember seeing, other than Dune, was Wild at Heart. Long time ago, but I still remember that line, "This whole world is wild at heart and weird on top." Strange movie, but I do recall more or less liking it.

I've seen THX1138 also. I think it was a fair movie, not bad for film school.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

you didn't like Last Crusade? WHA?
"On the Eight day, God created Wizards because he knew he'd have to retconn some crazy shit."
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:Raiders was good. I was young and loved it. All the others sucked as far as I was concerned.
I agree.

~Leto II, God Emperor
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

I can see people not liking Last Crusade. I liked it, but it is more self-referential comedy than it is adventure story, at least compared to Raiders of the Lost Ark.

SandRider
Judge of the Change

Post by SandRider »

I loved the South Park of the boys being traumatized by Lucas & Spielberg
raping Indy. The scenario seemed eerily familar .....
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandRider wrote:I loved the South Park of the boys being traumatized by Lucas & Spielberg
raping Indy. The scenario seemed eerily familar .....

Our friend got raped.

Classic!

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

I'm supprised nobody has attempted to ruin the wonderfull ending of Raiders.

Who?

Top. Men.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Liege-Killer

Re:

Post by Liege-Killer »

GamePlayer wrote:Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, and Lady Vengeance (2002, 2003, 2006 - Korean language) - Widely known as director Chan-wook Park's "Vengeance Trilogy", these are three unrelated films that explore the same theme of vengeance. Astonishing, violent, provocative and enthralling, but not for the faint of heart.
GP, I watched Oldboy last night. Very strange movie, very surreal in places, also very bizarre, but also intense and interesting. That long fight scene in the hallway looked almost like an old 2-dimensional video game, that was cool. I thought the revenge theme was handled really well. No black/white, good/evil crap, but a protagonist and a "villain" who are both partly guilty and both worthy of sympathy and/or pity in their own way. Not bad, maybe I'll check out the other two movies as well.
Seraphan

Re: Re:

Post by Seraphan »

Liege-Killer wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, and Lady Vengeance (2002, 2003, 2006 - Korean language) - Widely known as director Chan-wook Park's "Vengeance Trilogy", these are three unrelated films that explore the same theme of vengeance. Astonishing, violent, provocative and enthralling, but not for the faint of heart.
GP, I watched Oldboy last night. Very strange movie, very surreal in places, also very bizarre, but also intense and interesting. That long fight scene in the hallway looked almost like an old 2-dimensional video game, that was cool. I thought the revenge theme was handled really well. No black/white, good/evil crap, but a protagonist and a "villain" who are both partly guilty and both worthy of sympathy and/or pity in their own way. Not bad, maybe I'll check out the other two movies as well.
That sequence was brilliantly made, the camera just kept filming and filming and filming, nonstop.
And there's no need to speak of the actors, the performance is something that as to be seen and it's pointless to describe.
GamePlayer

Re: Re:

Post by GamePlayer »

Liege-Killer wrote:
It's quite good, but because it's quite different, it's easy to be a little thrown off by it. It deal honestly with the subject matter, so you won't be watching a lot of that manipulated emotion that we see so often in a lot of other film. I hope it was at least an interesting film for you to watch.
Personally, I think Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance is my favorite of the three. Oldboy would be second and Lady Vengeance would be last.

Well, make sure to post your thoughts about the other films I suggested, should you choose to watch them. If you enjoy them, I can offer lots more.

Liege-Killer

Re:

Post by Liege-Killer »

I just watched another of your recommendations, GP. Wow, that was an eye-opener. Utterly amazing, some of the things that went on there. Great documentary.
GamePlayer

Re: Movie recommendations

Post by GamePlayer »

Oh yeah, great doc. I love how it takes you through the whole process. The beginnings, the mark to market accounting fraud, the impending fall and then everything goes down the toilet. I was particularly shocked by the cutthroat traders that worked for Enron. Some of their recorded conversations were downright frightening.
That Lou Pai fellow sure was a character. Granted, the doc made him feel a bit more than he actually was, but the fact that he divorced his wife, married his stripper girl friend and went to Montana with hundreds of millions of dollars was pretty damned insane :)

Well, I'm glad you liked it.

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”