Sarah Connor Chronicles

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Sarah Connor Chronicles

Post by Omphalos »

Fox has renewed this show for a second season. They will produce only 13 episodes this time, which is more than the first season's eight, but not a full season of 20-24. I guess its a pretty damn expensive show.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Liege-Killer

Re: Sarah Connor Chronicles

Post by Liege-Killer »

Omphalos wrote:I guess its a pretty damn expensive show.
Well when you have to hire those robot actors and ferry them in from the future.... yeah, that's costly. :lol:
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
Robspierre
Archivist

Re: Sarah Connor Chronicles

Post by Robspierre »

Omphalos wrote:Fox has renewed this show for a second season. They will produce only 13 episodes this time, which is more than the first season's eight, but not a full season of 20-24. I guess its a pretty damn expensive show.
On the plus size, the writers can have more focused storylines with less filler, the potential for 13 good episodes is greater than 22.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Rumor is that this show is headed towards cancellation. Too bad, because I really, really like it. Ive heard that Fox does not like the numbers it gives to its anchor show, Prison Break, but I don't know how true that is. As for Prison Break, how many times are those assholes going to break out of jail before some prison administrator breaks them up?

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

fox always fucks up on good sci-fi series.

anyone who hasn't watched Firefly here should ASAP. amazing plotlines, characters, acting, camera-work.

years ahead of its time and Fox didn't market it properly, aired it out of order and fucked it up from teh start.

they cancelled it after 11 episodes. :(
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

I've watched this show a couple of times and I can't get into it. It just isn't Terminator-enough for me.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Star Dust

Post by Star Dust »

Baraka Bryan wrote:fox always fucks up on good sci-fi series.

anyone who hasn't watched Firefly here should ASAP. amazing plotlines, characters, acting, camera-work.

years ahead of its time and Fox didn't market it properly, aired it out of order and fucked it up from teh start.

Joss Whedon definitely had a good thing going with it, but as good as it was there were still some clunky moments. And, by Whedon's own admission, BSG is the best scifi he's ever seen. ;)
DN banned: Sep 14, 2008
==================
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Besides, guess which network Wheadon's next show is coming out on?

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Star Dust wrote:

Joss Whedon definitely had a good thing going with it, but as good as it was there were still some clunky moments. And, by Whedon's own admission, BSG is the best scifi he's ever seen. ;)

some clunky moments... yeah.. but it was comparatively low budget. some of the FX were just shoddy (see fire ball in "out of gas") but hey, it's some of the best acting i've ever seen (non-hyperbolic there serious) and the concept of the universe created was amazing. so many subplots that never got developed...

just so much potential. I was happy with serenity but there were still so many avenues left unexplored.
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Star Dust wrote:

some clunky moments... yeah.. but it was comparatively low budget. some of the FX were just shoddy (see fire ball in "out of gas") but hey, it's some of the best acting i've ever seen (non-hyperbolic there serious) and the concept of the universe created was amazing. so many subplots that never got developed...

just so much potential. I was happy with serenity but there were still so many avenues left unexplored.

The episode where they break into the hospital was damn perfect, couldn't ask for a better scripted episode of tv sci-fi than that one.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Robspierre wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:
Star Dust wrote:

The episode where they break into the hospital was damn perfect, couldn't ask for a better scripted episode of tv sci-fi than that one.

Rob

totally agree. and if you've watched the developement of Jayne's relationship with Mal, that scene at the end of the episode is so fucking powerful. i'm so in love with that show, just bought the dvds of it ( had previously watched pirated versions) as well as teh graphic novels and the official companions. (books that is, not to be confused with companions in the actual show.. didn't buy any of those :P )

so good.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Firefly is amazing. I think I love my DVD set of the series and the movie more than most of my other DVDs and that's saying a lot. It's such a great gem of a series. Shame on Faux! :evil:
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

GamePlayer wrote:Firefly is amazing. I think I love my DVD set of the series and the movie more than most of my other DVDs and that's saying a lot. It's such a great gem of a series. Shame on Faux! :evil:
have you read the graphic novels by whedon? on e of them helps bridge the series and the movie very well, the other one is a great addition, and they're planning one about Shepherd Book that will look into his mysterious past :D

i can't wait
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

No, I haven't read those. But since it's done by Joss himself, I'd really be interested in reading them.

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Omphalos wrote:Besides, guess which network Wheadon's next show is coming out on?
Fox?
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Mandy wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Besides, guess which network Wheadon's next show is coming out on?
Fox?
Yep. Dollhouse. Coming soon to a Fox station near you.

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:No, I haven't read those. But since it's done by Joss himself, I'd really be interested in reading them.
Me too.

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Omphalos wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:No, I haven't read those. But since it's done by Joss himself, I'd really be interested in reading them.
Me too.

for GP, the toronto public library has "Serenity: those left behind" in stock with virtually no holds, and it has "Serenity: better days on order" with less holds than ordered copies.

sooo happy reading :D
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Thanks for the info.

Oh, and Dollhouse sounds good.

Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Frak, they switched nights on me. I missed the new episode Friday. I'll watch it online tonight.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Decent episode. This show is quirky in that their off-major-arc episodes just kind of creep in there. I'm often 1/3 of the way through before I realize that the episode in question is not in the major arc.

Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

I didn't care for the whole Reese-in-the-head thing. But otherwise, yeah, decent episode. I got a chuckle out of "John Henry" playing with his toys.

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”