People on This Board

Any old topic will do, I suppose.
Nekhrun
Archivist

People on This Board

Post by Nekhrun »

At the risk of hijacking his precious book review thread, I'm moving this conversation here:
Omphalos wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:Way to go Harriet! :twisted:
Tsk! Are the Wild already sucking so badly that you have to be this cruel?
Wild Win! Suck it!
Fortunately I will not have to hear that many more times this season.
At least once more, another win! NHL's leading scorer is some guy named Aaron Voros (hmmm, I've heard of that guy). 8)
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Good for you, well done! But really, what is your point?
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

-Rimmer’s farewell speech
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

inhuien wrote:Good for you, well done! But really, what is your point?
That Omphalos is mean.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Boooo Wild. :wink:

But hurray for Americans enjoying Hockey. Anything that gets Y'all away from the tedium of Baseball and Football is a good thing!
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

I hear the owner of the Atlanta Falcons football team is looking to by a Major League Soccer franchise.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Nekhrun wrote:
That Omphalos is mean.
Im so sorry. The Wild are contenders. They rock. They have the coolest name in the league. Every team should consider taking on an adjective as their name that doesn't quite fit the rules for nomenclature. That would be cool. If this region ever got a team we could be the Sacramento Helpful, or the Stockton Ripe, or something like that.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
A Thing of Eternity

Omphalos wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
That Omphalos is mean.
Im so sorry. The Wild are contenders. They rock. They have the coolest name in the league. Every team should consider taking on an adjective as their name that doesn't quite fit the rules for nomenclature. That would be cool. If this region ever got a team we could be the Sacramento Helpful, or the Stockton Ripe, or something like that.
:D
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

Omphalos wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
That Omphalos is mean.
That's still a sore spot around here. I find that name totally inappropriate. I still go to the games, but I do hate the name with a passion.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Speaking of people on our boards, where has Phaedrus gotten to? Anyone heard from him? :?
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Speaking of people on our boards, where has Phaedrus gotten to? Anyone heard from him? :?
He mentioned a bit ago returning to school. I assume that he just got bogged down and got out of the Dune-board habit. But he has been around recently; two months or so?

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

Trang

Post by Trang »

I just thought would throw in, that I have always liked the name "maruaders" but have yet to see any team, professional or amatuer use it. I wonder why? Coming into your town, pillaging and plundering, sounds like a good sports team goal.

Just a thought,
trang
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Trang wrote:I just thought would throw in, that I have always liked the name "maruaders" but have yet to see any team, professional or amatuer use it. I wonder why? Coming into your town, pillaging and plundering, sounds like a good sports team goal.

Just a thought,
trang
McMaster Marauders
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Back when Abe "Dumbass" Pollin decided to rename the Bullets the Wizards (a name change that I hated), I suggested that we call them The Revolution. Then we could be the Washington Revs or something cool like that. Instead he chose to name us after the commander of the KKK's armies, the asshole.

Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Omphalos wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Speaking of people on our boards, where has Phaedrus gotten to? Anyone heard from him? :?
He mentioned a bit ago returning to school. I assume that he just got bogged down and got out of the Dune-board habit. But he has been around recently; two months or so?
No, I'm gone for good.

I did get busy, not always(if ever) with school, but you know, real life and stuff.

So it goes.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

But veee meeessss shoooo! ;)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Hello there, old timer!

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

So, where is everybody?

Ees toooo qviet! I can heeeear dee feesh laffing.... :(

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

It is kinda dead, isn't it? things will pick up a bit. This board tends to wax and wane.

Eyes High
Momma Eyes

Post by Eyes High »

traffic is slow on some other boards as well. We are not alone here in that fact. Wake up everyone. :lol:
I shall lift up my eyes unto the glory of the Lord.

Safety's just danger out of place.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

The early parts of the year are slow on most message boards. People take a while to recover from post-Christmas and are typically busy with work, catching up after so much time off.

Then of course, February has Valentine's Day. This means millions of single folk running around with their heads cut off, trying to hook up with anyone they can so they won't be alone on that day of love :)

"Well, I got one foot on the platform
The other foot on the train
I'm goin' back to New Orleans
To wear that ball and chain

Well, there is a house in New Orleans
They call the Rising Sun
And it's been the ruin of many a poor boy
And God I know I'm one
"

:)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I tell you guys what, work has really kept me busy since the New Year.

chanilover

Post by chanilover »

I'm going snowboarding next week. YAY!
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

chanilover wrote:I'm going snowboarding next week. YAY!

jealous :(
i haven't had a chance to get out at all this year and now it's 11C and raining and all the snow is melting :(
I am not my own.
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:I tell you guys what, work has really kept me busy since the New Year.
We have more work than we could burn, which is always a good thing. However since the economy is in the toilet there's a hiring freeze, not that we could find anyone before that. It's a small employee pool. If I had the time I'd go back to school for a masters in Fire Protection Engineering. Those guys make crazy salaries.

~Leto II, God Emperor
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I tell you guys what, work has really kept me busy since the New Year.
We have more work than we could burn, which is always a good thing. However since the economy is in the toilet there's a hiring freeze, not that we could find anyone before that. It's a small employee pool. If I had the time I'd go back to school for a masters in Fire Protection Engineering. Those guys make crazy salaries.
so make the time for it.. i mean if the return is that drastic, it's worth the couple years off salary.
I'm one of those people who feel as long as an economic argument can be made for it, more education is always worthwhile.
I am not my own.
A Thing of Eternity

Too much work for me. Bad. Tired.
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
so make the time for it.. i mean if the return is that drastic, it's worth the couple years off salary.
I'm one of those people who feel as long as an economic argument can be made for it, more education is always worthwhile.
I tried not too long ago. For me to take classes full time, every spare minute not spent at work and school would have to be spent studying. Having four kids does not allow that.

~Leto II, God Emperor
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Freakzilla wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
I tried not too long ago. For me to take classes full time, every spare minute not spent at work and school would have to be spent studying. Having four kids does not allow that.
good point. foregoing work would be the only way to pull it off, but obviously isn't an option for most.
I am not my own.
SandRider
Judge of the Change

Post by SandRider »

speaking of children taking over your lives, where's Rakis ?
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
That is exactly why I waited til my mid-30's to impregnate someone. GOD I hate condoms! But they can be the keys to long-term happiness!

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
That is exactly why I waited til my mid-30's to impregnate someone. GOD I hate condoms! But they can be the keys to long-term happiness!
:lol: :lol:
words of the wise :P
I am not my own.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
:lol: :lol:
words of the wise :P
Ive never been able to pull out. I just cant stand that though. So I gotta.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

:shock:

Always something eye-opening to wake me up here.

Must be why this is my first destination after checking comments on my blog. ;)

A Thing of Eternity

I think I'm just going to go for the ol' snip-snip. Seems like it would save me a lot of trouble in the end. I can always adopt if I decide to have kids, or I imagine they could get at the sperm somehow, not like it'll be gone. :wink:
Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

Freakzilla wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
I am currently about 2/3rds done with my master's in engineering. I have two kids and a wife and my income is the only coming into the house.

We like the setup and now I am too far into the master's not to finish it up but this has become a big mistake, don't get me wrong the payout will be nice in the end, but I have no time for anything.

Luckily, I don't give a shit about my GPA so school is the first thing sacrificed so my kids and wife don't mind too much. (That is besides finals week)
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I suppose I could have done that my third year of law school. Its pretty much a waste of time where you finish all the bullshit you need for the bar. The saying is: "The first year they scare you to death. The second year they work you to death. The third year they bore you to death." But I still waited to get a career going.

SandRider
Judge of the Change

Post by SandRider »

I got kicked out of school in 70.
My draft number was 8.
My life's been downhill since then.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Huh. I figured it started looking up when you found us. :P

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Taking 15 credit hours this semester, have to spend time in the schools, will be taking my content test later this year, need to take a science class over the summer because we for some stupid reason need to have three sciences with labs for my degree, I have two, then in fall of 09, take the last 15 credits I need of college course work and spring of 2010, I student teach and graduate in May, so a bit busy for me :shock:

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Did my last class for this academic year last Monday, turned in graduating senior grades on Tuesday. :D

Grades for the other lot are due at the end of the month, but other than that and preparing for classes in April I've got practically nothing on the schedule until the end of March.

YIPPEEEEE! 8)

(There are reasons why people hate me, I know.)
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

I don't think anyone has any "me time" in work anymore. I started a new job a couple of months ago, and it's really hard work, although I'm enjoying it.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

chanilover wrote:I don't think anyone has any "me time" in work anymore. I started a new job a couple of months ago, and it's really hard work, although I'm enjoying it.
What are you doing now?

chanilover

Post by chanilover »

I left the legal department of the bank I worked at and am now on a training contract at a law firm, so I'm a trainee solicitor. Still working on the corporate side, I'm not remotely interested in fighting for justice for the underdog. Those losers haven't got enough money to pay me. :lol:
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

chanilover wrote:I left the legal department of the bank I worked at and am now on a training contract at a law firm, so I'm a trainee solicitor. Still working on the corporate side, I'm not remotely interested in fighting for justice for the underdog. Those losers haven't got enough money to pay me. :lol:
Great! Corporate stuff is kind of what I do. Actually more the business side then the regulation side, although they do consult with me a bunch on regs and compliance. Personally Im done with direct handling of litigation, but you need to have those skills in order to move up the ladder. You won't be part of the "club" without them. Congratulations, CL!

chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Cheers!
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

Any of you drunkards out west going to be in San Francisco this weekend?
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Had not planned on it, but could be. We could try to meet at Pier 39 again. The kids would probably love to go to the aquarium there, and see the seals.

Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

Omphalos wrote:Had not planned on it, but could be. We could try to meet at Pier 39 again. The kids would probably love to go to the aquarium there, and see the seals.
I'd be game. Let me know if a particular day/time works for you and I'll make sure to get away from family stuff.
Rakis

Re: People on This Board

Post by Rakis »

Ok, i must have miss something, but...

WTF is Google [Bot]? :think:
Neutrinos watch alert !

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Just a search program that allows google to add the contents of websites to it's search engine. Thus, if for example you were to write of Kevin J. Anderson on this message board, the google bot catalogs the instances his name appears on this board so that you can type "Kevin J. Anderson" in Google and find TAU among the search results :)

For example, if I were to type "kevin j anderson sucks" in Google, I get my chigga's blog as the 14th result :)

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Bots and spiders go out and search the web for strings entered at search sites. The old board did not track them, but the new board does, and in fact even assigns them all to a certain user group. There are over 50 that have already shown up here.

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

So this is a good thing...

I thought it would attract spam or something...

And finally...how many times would we have to write kevin j anderson sucks to be # 1 result on Google? :P
Neutrinos watch alert !

Mandy

Post by Mandy »

You should definitely start a thread with that as the title, and then link to it from another board. The more links back, the higher on the page it goes, I think.
Reductio ad Hypatiam
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Mandy wrote:You should definitely start a thread with that as the title, and then link to it from another board. The more links back, the higher on the page it goes, I think.
Splendid :twisted:
Neutrinos watch alert !

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

I'm assuming "Testy Testicle" is a spammer.... ;)

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

It's certainly an unusual name for spam bots.

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:I'm assuming "Testy Testicle" is a spammer.... ;)
Whoops! :shock:

Wanted to see what the new Catchca system looked like. Its pretty damn cool. Ragabash tells me that I can put in pictures from the Dune movie if I want to.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Yes, yes, I'm sure and all that, let's get back to the discussion of your choices in test account names.... :naughty:

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

:orcs-whip:

Eyes High
Momma Eyes

Post by Eyes High »

SandChigger wrote:Yes, yes, I'm sure and all that, let's get back to the discussion of your choices in test account names.... :naughty:

That was too funny
I shall lift up my eyes unto the glory of the Lord.

Safety's just danger out of place.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Yes, yes, I'm sure and all that, let's get back to the discussion of your choices in test account names.... :naughty:
That was my pseudonym from back when I wrote letters to Penthouse. "You'll never believe what happened to me the other day. I can hardly believe it myself!...And then I learned for sure that donkeys do smoke cigarettes.

Ragabash
The Benefactor

Post by Ragabash »

Omphalos wrote:
That was my pseudonym from back when I wrote letters to Penthouse. "You'll never believe what happened to me the other day. I can hardly believe it myself!...And then I learned for sure that donkeys do smoke cigarettes.
:obscene-hanged:
GLaDOS wrote: This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

Omphalos wrote:
SandChigger wrote:I'm assuming "Testy Testicle" is a spammer.... ;)
Whoops! :shock:

Wanted to see what the new Catchca system looked like. Its pretty damn cool. Ragabash tells me that I can put in pictures from the Dune movie if I want to.
There you go being all literal again.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Wow, it's been over 3 months since I've posted here?

I don't even know where the time goes.
"It means ruin to choose to think for oneself if one can't think." -Jens Bjorneboe
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Sometime, time goes into changing diapers, feeding, cleaning, and on and on and on... :sleeping-blue:
Neutrinos watch alert !

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Rakis wrote:Sometime, time goes into changing diapers, feeding, cleaning, and on and on and on... :sleeping-blue:
Enjoy it while you can. Before you know it they'll be telling you "NO!" :wink:

~Leto II, God Emperor
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Freakzilla wrote:
Rakis wrote:Sometime, time goes into changing diapers, feeding, cleaning, and on and on and on... :sleeping-blue:
Enjoy it while you can. Before you know it they'll be telling you "NO!" :wink:
I also have a 4 year-old daughter...too late. :)
Neutrinos watch alert !

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Phaedrus wrote:Wow, it's been over 3 months since I've posted here?

I don't even know where the time goes.
Hi there stranger. Welcome back.

Return to “General Chat”