Amazon reviews

Start topics here about Dune that are not bloody likely to be screwed with by me.
Nekhrun
Archivist

Amazon reviews

Post by Nekhrun »

I just wanted to remind people that Amazon has message threads as well. Keep the OH missionaria alive across the net and give your opinions of the new Dune. I just wrote my review for Hunters. In my hatred of Sandworms I completely forgot about it. Chig remains fairly vigilant over there.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I forgot about this too. What a fun playground that can be, too!
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

There hasn't been much activity on the Dune pages I check (Sandworms and The Science of Dune [no reviews yet], Hunters only rarely), so I've been branching out into Kevin's other book pages, along with hassling IDiots on the science-vs-Jayzussssssah discussions. ;)
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Make sure you are the first to enter a review and start a comment about Paul of Dune too!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

:D
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

I was going over there almost every day so I could vote on the reviews and make comments on some of the silly 5 stars. BET you guys don't know which one I was :) I was using someone else's Amazon account.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Mandy wrote:I was going over there almost every day so I could vote on the reviews and make comments on some of the silly 5 stars. BET you guys don't know which one I was :) I was using someone else's Amazon account.
I can guess. I do not remember the name at all, or even if it was a real name or a handle, but there was a very vocal user whose profile said that she was an African American woman. I think her picture has her in a white and blacked striped shirt. Was it that one?

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Hang on, I made her a "Person of Interest" and even sent her an Amazon Friends request. Mandy using her account would explain why she didn't respond....

Queotic. Was that her, Mandy? ;)
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote: Mandy using her account would explain why she didn't respond....
Of course! Who would pass up the chance to befriend yoooooouuuuuu! :roll: :P

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Some of the Golden Compass threads were pretty funny with the Jebus freaks going on and on about the movie.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Omphalos wrote:
SandChigger wrote: Mandy using her account would explain why she didn't respond....
Wahl yeah, I mean...what do you mean? :shock:

:)
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Hehe.. no I wasn't posing as an African American. Meh.. my posts weren't that exciting anyway. :P
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Wahl yeah, I mean...what do you mean? :shock:

:)
Just that youre soooooo groovy, man! :P

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Mandy wrote:Hehe.. no I wasn't posing as an African American. Meh.. my posts weren't that exciting anyway. :P
Ah. Too bad. I thought I was right. That girl was vocal and made a lot of sense, IIRC. Which one were you?

Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Wow.. I hadn't been over there to read the reviews or the comments on the reviews (my favorite part!) in months. That Queotic is pretty awesome. You guys should try to find a way to get her here.

I think I was Carol S. I only commented a few times on the more ridiculous 5 star reviews. I remember one guy gave Sandworms 5 stars before he ever read the book. He gave it 5 stars based on the cover art and the books timely arrival :roll: Way to go USPS!!!
Eru

Post by Eru »

Omphalos wrote:Make sure you are the first to enter a review and start a comment about Paul of Dune too!
I reviewed PoD months ago and posted on Chig's MySpace blog:
"Herbert and Anderson have done it again! A complete lack of any depth beyond that presented in 'The Matrix' makes this latest turd to spew from their diarrheal minds a must buy for every pants-wearing monkey with even the most limited reading comprehension skills. It shall be gushed over for the next decade by sycophantic fan-boys whose capacity for rational thought rivals that of a turnip."
--
~The MistahBlu Review of Paul of Dune~
"We must make an Idol of our fear and call it God"

--The Seventh Sign
Eru

Post by Eru »

Oh, yeah. Here's a link to the blog:

SANDWORMS and PALL OVer DUNE...
"We must make an Idol of our fear and call it God"

--The Seventh Sign
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

:D

Mandy! I remember that review you mentioned. I actually reported that one as inappropriate. I wonder if it's still there....
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Eru wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Make sure you are the first to enter a review and start a comment about Paul of Dune too!
I reviewed PoD months ago and posted on Chig's MySpace blog:
"Herbert and Anderson have done it again! A complete lack of any depth beyond that presented in 'The Matrix' makes this latest turd to spew from their diarrheal minds a must buy for every pants-wearing monkey with even the most limited reading comprehension skills. It shall be gushed over for the next decade by sycophantic fan-boys whose capacity for rational thought rivals that of a turnip."
--
~The MistahBlu Review of Paul of Dune~
:lol: :lol:

Only, it will probably be worse than that. :lol: :lol:

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote::D

Mandy! I remember that review you mentioned. I actually reported that one as inappropriate. I wonder if it's still there....
Im sure it is. :roll:

Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

Although fewer in number, the customer reviews are a little more accurate at the Barnes and Noble website average review...2 stars. Harriet still has one of course.

It says on a few of them that the publisher spent $250,000 marketing this book, with the word DUNE in large letters on it and Byron likes to state that somehow the books are selling of their own quality. I guarantee, if I had that much money to blow on getting the message out about something all of you would want to see what it was.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

$250,000 National Marketing Plan

* National on-sale date: August 21st, 2007
* National television advertising on the SciFi Channel
* National print advertising in The New York Times Book Review, Los Angeles Times Book Review, and USA Today
* National publicity to include television and radio satellite interviews and regional author signings
* Internet publicity to include special series website
* Extensive print advertising in science fiction/fantasy publications
* Targeted print advertising in military and military base publications

* Special autographed copies available in 10-copy carton (8/07; 0-7653-1866-0, $279.50/$349.50 Can)

Please note that quantities are limited. As will all orders, orders for this title are subject to availability. No order (or any part thereof) is deemed accepted until shipment.

* 9-copy floor displays available (8/07; 0-7683-1864-4, $251.55/$314.55 Can)
* 24-copy mass market floor display for Hunters of Dune available in July (7/07 [snip])
* 27-copy mixed mass market Dune floor display available in July ([snip])
* Available on unabridged CD from Audio Renaissance ([snip])
From the Advance Uncorrected Proof back cover. ;)

I was probably in five or six bookstores while back in September. I didn't see any of those displays anywhere I went.

(Which is probably a good thing...I might have done an Eru-style projectile vomit all over. :mrgreen: )
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:
$250,000 National Marketing Plan

* National on-sale date: August 21st, 2007
* National television advertising on the SciFi Channel
* National print advertising in The New York Times Book Review, Los Angeles Times Book Review, and USA Today
* National publicity to include television and radio satellite interviews and regional author signings
* Internet publicity to include special series website
* Extensive print advertising in science fiction/fantasy publications
* Targeted print advertising in military and military base publications

* Special autographed copies available in 10-copy carton (8/07; 0-7653-1866-0, $279.50/$349.50 Can)

Please note that quantities are limited. As will all orders, orders for this title are subject to availability. No order (or any part thereof) is deemed accepted until shipment.

* 9-copy floor displays available (8/07; 0-7683-1864-4, $251.55/$314.55 Can)
* 24-copy mass market floor display for Hunters of Dune available in July (7/07 [snip])
* 27-copy mixed mass market Dune floor display available in July ([snip])
* Available on unabridged CD from Audio Renaissance ([snip])
From the Advance Uncorrected Proof back cover. ;)

I was probably in five or six bookstores while back in September. I didn't see any of those displays anywhere I went.

(Which is probably a good thing...I might have done an Eru-style projectile vomit all over. :mrgreen: )
They must have sold them all in Canada, where they would get those strong Canadian Loonies.

Return to “Dune Talk”