Sunshine(: 2057) ... AKA Boyle's Boil

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
SandChigger
Archivist

Sunshine(: 2057) ... AKA Boyle's Boil

Post by SandChigger »

Wasn't there a thread about this (utter piece of wank) dog somewhere? Was it over at 'Keen?

Anyway, I distinctly remember discussing it a bit before...but Search isn't turning up anything here. At the time, I hadn't seen it, and don't think it was showing over here yet (so maybe it was at 'Keen), but I had a look at the article on Wikipedia and commented about how silly it sounded.

LITTLE DID I KNOW....

You can thank Teg for calling last night during the last half of the thing, 'cause most of my venting went into whichever ear he had his cell against.

WHAT AN UTTER PIECE OF SHITE.

It was bad enough when it was just the crew dealing with their own incompetence ("I forgot to adjust the angle on the shields. I fucked up. I fucked up!") and their obviously designed-by-NASA/built-in-America ship, but then you get the mystical and mysterious transdimensional transmogrificational (Transylvannian...never mind) SUPPOSED DEAD captain of the Icarus 1 (fooking ill-fated ship names to rival "Ithaca", what? Icarus...he burned up, remember? Sheesh!) running amok and killing everyone.

STUPID STUPID STUPID.

The basic premise ("Our star is sick. We're going to restart its engines.") was STUPID. The characters were STUPID. The plot complications were STUPID. The thing made LITTLE SENSE and frankly SUCKED.

AVOID THIS ONE AT ALL COSTS. CAN CAUSE BRAIN FARTS.
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Yep, this was definitely a disappointment for me, especially as a fan of so many of Danny Boyles films. Danny Boyle’s visual storytelling remains unblemished despite the weak story of Sunshine; his compelling style could make watching paint dry dramatic and engaging. But as magnetic as Boyle’s obvious skill may be, the enticing feast for the eyes isn't enough to raise this film above the utter drivel that it is. They often say that the film starts with a script and that even the greatest filmmaking can't cure a bad script. That seems to summarize Sunshine, an obviously well-made film that shouldn't have been until the right script came along.

Much has been made of the somewhat slasher-esque feel of the third act. Despite many criticisms, I felt this finale works simply because it maintains the theme of the whole film; that of man being his own worst enemy. However, this last act wouldn’t feel as disjointed as it does were it not for the quasi-supernatural elements in the final encounter that stretch suspension of disbelief. The derelict captain becomes a force of nature like Sol itself; superhumanly strong and omnipresent. It feels more than a little absurd and that's saying quite a lot for a film with a patently absurd plot about re-igniting the sun.

Definitely not our British friend's finest hour :)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

I expected it to be silly, just from what little I remembered reading about months ago, but I really didn't expect it to be as bad as it turned out to be. (I missed a bit of the initial voiced over narration crushing ice in the blender, but I don't think I missed that much.)

Such a waste. Mission to Mars (or 2010) meets Event Horizon. :roll:

(Actually...I just realized those are two very relevant references: there's a scene in the first where an astronaut (Tim Robbins?) opens his mask and freezes to death when it's obvious he can't be rescued and another involving being in space without a spacesuit in the latter...plus the whole shooting to an airlock from 2001. ALL the clichés! I bet there are more.)

I guess the "man as his own worst enemy" works as far as the two missions, but it wasn't humankind that caused the problem with the sun, right? (Or did I miss that?)

I was on the phone talking to Teg (he'd seen it when it was in the theatres) when the Icarus AI tells the physicist guy that there are five humans onboard when there should only be four and he heads off to the observation deck to find out who it is.

"Who...who are you?"

"I'm a PLOT COMPLICATION!"

No frickin' kidding. :roll:

The experience did give me new hope, however, that the new Dune movie will be just as crappy. What was it you said?

"They often say that the film starts with a script and that even the greatest filmmaking can't cure a bad script."

I can hardly wait. :twisted:
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I hated that they went all Freddy Kruger on us at the end. The premise was stupid, and so were the ships (a fucking umbrella that keeps the big bad sun out? Ever hear of a light sail? That ship would never be able to get close to the sun because of photon pressure).

I cannot count the number of movies and books that have the premise that journey off the earth for some reason makes you insane, and I can think of only one author who has ever pulled it off, and that is because he wrote tons about it before his one masterpiece. I wish they would just stop.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
orald

Post by orald »

Chig wrote:Event Horizon
:o *pukes*
Omphalos wrote:the premise that journey off the earth for some reason makes you insane, and I can think of only one author who has ever pulled it off, and that is because he wrote tons about it before his one masterpiece.
Who's that?

And why do you people bother with watching mediocre-to-bad SF anyway? Waste of time and money.
You could worship God Leto instead. I have the alter ready.
"Brian! Brian! Brian!" goes the refrain. "A million deaths were not enough for Brian!"

I'm awake! God help me, I'm awake!
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

In this case the movie was on one of my satellite channels, so it was already paid for, in a sense; I'm just out the time. There wasn't anything else on that I hadn't already seen or really wanted to watch (there's only so much "Meerkat Manor" I can stand, you know?). Besides, unless you really watch something yourself, you can only regurgitate the opinions of others.

Omph, DON'T get me started on the bad science! :lol:

Like...why were they sweating inside their suits when they were working outside in the shadow of the shield?

Or...how did they have normal (Earth) gravity inside the ship? :roll:

orald

Post by orald »

If I really have nothing else to do, I jerk off.

To women.
"Brian! Brian! Brian!" goes the refrain. "A million deaths were not enough for Brian!"

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Wow...like...I really feel enriched knowing that.

Less is more sometimes, you know?

orald

Post by orald »

No, just giving a few tips on how to better spend your free time.

Jerk off a bit.

Jerk off some more.

Jerking off is fun.

Of course, if company is available, you don't have to jerk off alone.

Then again, at your advanced age it might not be such a viable option.

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

orald wrote:No, just giving a few tips on how to better spend your free time.

Jerk off a bit.

Jerk off some more.

Jerking off is fun.

Of course, if company is available, you don't have to jerk off alone.

Then again, at your advanced age it might not be such a viable option.
Please...get a room...alone...
Neutrinos watch alert !

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:

(This wasn't the most meaningful thread in existence but I don't see why it had to end up being about wanking. :roll: )

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

I don't know if any of the rest of you have noticed this (or will even be interested), but it fits perfectly into an overall pattern, so I thought I'd repost.

Simon LOVES this movie:
Simon on DN wrote:I know I'm beating a dead horse here but DAMN IT this movie is great!

I noticed that when Capa meets Pinbacker for the first time, he puts out his hand and touches him, which makes Pinbacker flinch, then Capa says "My God. My God. Captain Pinbacker..." and Pinbacker says, "Not your God, mine!"...

This bible passage came to my attention, John 20:17 (King James):

...Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Great stuff. Sunshine had so much more than met the eye. I know it's probably blasphemy but I've come to think of Sunshine as a modern sort of "2001". It had all the technical aspect of "2001" (space travel depicted properly, rather than "Star Wars" style) and some things it didn't (Not to say the same couldn't be said vice versa).

I liked the inter personal human drama , between the crew and then the survivors and Pinbacker, though there are definitly folks who felt Pinbacker "nuked the fridge". (in "2001" Frank Pool dies pretty early on leaving the lead alone with HAL. And while there is interaction between the two, I consider that more of a statement on man and machine, as opposed to something "inter personal")
A "modern sort of 2001".

Yes, that is blasphemy. :lol:

(sigh)

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I wonder if he would have been happier if Freddy Krueger actually had been in the thing. :roll:

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Well, he isn't the first person to like a bad movie and he won't be the last :)

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:Well, he isn't the first person to like a bad movie and he won't be the last :)
Just wait til Dune (2010) comes out. :D

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Oh ... yea. :roll:

If Kevin suckseeds in worming in a reference to Norma or Omnius, all the pretards will cum so hard their little heads will pop off.

:shock:

Hey! There's a solution! :lol:

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Oh ... yea. :roll:

If Kevin suckseeds in worming in a reference to Norma or Omnius, all the pretards will cum so hard their little heads will pop off.

:shock:

Hey! There's a solution! :lol:
You think separating a preek from his or her brain will change their outlook? :roll:

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Nope.

But I figure they make fewer stupid comments when dead. :P

The Japanese have two proverbs which are relevant here:

Baka ni tsukeru kusuri wa nai.

Baka wa shinde mo naoranai.

"There's no cure for stupid" (lit., "no medicine to put on an idiot") and "Even dying doesn't cure dumb" (lit., "an idiot doesn't get better even when he/she dies"). :)

SandRider
Judge of the Change

Post by SandRider »

"You cain't fix Stupid." ~ Ron White

FAN-tastic. Twice in one day !
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Ain't it great when you can use something like that in more than one place! :P

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Omphalos wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:Well, he isn't the first person to like a bad movie and he won't be the last :)
Just wait til Dune (2010) comes out. :D
True. Even Voyager had its fans :)

Sev

Re: Sunshine(: 2057) ... AKA Boyle's Boil

Post by Sev »

Saw this on U.K. TV a couple of months ago - complete garbage. When I found out that the big bad was actually Pinbacker I thought 'Wasn't there a Pinback in "Dark Star?"' That beachball alien from the latter film would certainly have made Sunshine more watchable.
"It was early 1974 before I made any attempt to read Dune. After forty pages I gave up. I couldn't get into the book. It seemed convoluted, opaque and full of strange language." - Brian "Bobo" Herbert
lotek
Archivist

Re:

Post by lotek »

SandChigger wrote:I don't know if any of the rest of you have noticed this (or will even be interested), but it fits perfectly into an overall pattern, so I thought I'd repost.

Simon LOVES this movie:
Simon on DN wrote:I know I'm beating a dead horse here but DAMN IT this movie is great!

I noticed that when Capa meets Pinbacker for the first time, he puts out his hand and touches him, which makes Pinbacker flinch, then Capa says "My God. My God. Captain Pinbacker..." and Pinbacker says, "Not your God, mine!"...

This bible passage came to my attention, John 20:17 (King James):

...Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Great stuff. Sunshine had so much more than met the eye. I know it's probably blasphemy but I've come to think of Sunshine as a modern sort of "2001". It had all the technical aspect of "2001" (space travel depicted properly, rather than "Star Wars" style) and some things it didn't (Not to say the same couldn't be said vice versa).

I liked the inter personal human drama , between the crew and then the survivors and Pinbacker, though there are definitly folks who felt Pinbacker "nuked the fridge". (in "2001" Frank Pool dies pretty early on leaving the lead alone with HAL. And while there is interaction between the two, I consider that more of a statement on man and machine, as opposed to something "inter personal")
A "modern sort of 2001".

Yes, that is blasphemy. :lol:

(sigh)
well there you go for the jerk reference, comparing anything with 2001 is blasphemy indeed!

As for Sunshine, I never managed to watch more than the intro...
In short, the Jihad is over. It ended just as SandRider predicted it would, not with a bang or even a whimper, by simple attrition.
- D. Pope
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I liked the personal human drama when Freddy Krueger showed up. :lol=:

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:

God, what a SHIT movie. :D

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”