Live Music Shows

Any old topic will do, I suppose.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Live Music Shows

Post by Omphalos »

I went to see Flogging Molly at the Sacramento Radison Hotel tonight. I love that band. Nothing goes together quite as well a moderately angry Irish music and The Clash-type punk rock. And seeing them outside was great.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I went and saw my good friends' band last night Savannah. Hardcore/Metal group, really good show. Only problem was I was right next to one half of the PA and now I have savage ringing in just my right ear. :(
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Send me your phone number and I'll yell in the left one for ya. Beginnings aren't the only time balance is important! :P

(Was this that Black Panthers band you've mentioned before?)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
A Thing of Eternity

SandChigger wrote:Send me your phone number and I'll yell in the left one for ya. Beginnings aren't the only time balance is important! :P

(Was this that Black Panthers band you've mentioned before?)
:lol:

I was thinking I'll have to remember to stand to the left next show to make sure I keep my hearing loss balanced.

No sir, this wasn't the Black Panthers band, mostly white guys, one native. No black. :wink:
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Last live show I saw was Ozzfest 2003:

Ozzy Osbourne, KoЯn, Marilyn Manson, Disturbed, Chevelle were on the main stage.

I think that met my quota for a few years.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

The last live show I saw was No Doubt, took my mum for her birthday, The Distillers opened and Garbage followed them doing a 45 minute set, the only time that happened on the tour, then No Doubt played for 2.5 hours, had great seats and only paid $35 per ticket :D

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Depeche Mode in 2004...

Damn, i slowed down... :(
Neutrinos watch alert !

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Muse last summer.

wow they have to come back to Canada NOW!

best live act on the planet
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Baraka Bryan wrote:Muse last summer.

Are you serious?

Jane's Addiction had lesbians having sex on a rocking bench.

The Butthole Surfers shot blanks at the crowd with a shotgun.

Ministry, Marylin Manson, RHCP... I can't imagine Muse being better.

~Leto II, God Emperor
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Freakzilla wrote:

Are you serious?

best in terms of musical quality for a live show... they literally sound exactly like they do on recordings.

matt bellamy is a genius guitarist, pianist and singer (all classically trained :D )
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

Are you serious?

best in terms of musical quality for a live show... they literally sound exactly like they do on recordings.

matt bellamy is a genius guitarist, pianist and singer (all classically trained :D )
That's funny, I really don't expect anyone to sound on stage like they do on the recording.

Smashing Pumpkins was one of the best musical performances I've ever seen on stage. Rush is incredible, too.

~Leto II, God Emperor
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Freakzilla wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

Are you serious?

That's funny, I really don't expect anyone to sound on stage like they do on the recording.

Smashing Pumpkins was one of the best musical performances I've ever seen on stage. Rush is incredible, too.

SPs are in toronto soon and the edge (popular rock station in TO) is giving tickets away all week.. i keep calling in whenever they say to but never get through :(
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

If they're anywhere as good as they were when I saw them it would be worth the price of admission. They were a relatively new band when I saw them though so there's no guarantee.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I saw them when they were newish too. Excellent show.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

A Thing of Eternity

I always wanted to see those guys (EDIT: Smashing Pumpkins) but missed the one chance I had.

I missed IRON MAIDEN this summer - I don't know if I'll ever quite forgive myself for that... or for missing Rush, again. :(
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Who sings for Iron Maiden now? I heard that Bruce Dickinson cant sing any more.

A Thing of Eternity

Bruce was singing as far as I know. I missed them in Vancity, but my buddy caught them in Edmonton and said they were great.
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:Who sings for Iron Maiden now? I heard that Bruce Dickinson cant sing any more.
Looks like he's back as the frontman:

http://www.ironmaiden.com/index.php?cat ... icleid=330

It also looks as if they have kept Adrian Smith's replacement as a third guitarist now that Adrian is back.

~Leto II, God Emperor
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Who sings for Iron Maiden now? I heard that Bruce Dickinson cant sing any more.

It also looks as if they have kept Adrian Smith's replacement as a third guitarist now that Adrian is back.
With the way those guys layer guitar harmonies on recordings they could probably use five or six guitarists up on stage with them.
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

With the way those guys layer guitar harmonies on recordings they could probably use five or six guitarists up on stage with them.
Yes, it was very difficult for me to play IM songs in a one guitar band and make it sound right. Impossible I should say.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I could play them both on my haprsichord. The sound went up to 11 on that one.

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:I could play them both on my haprsichord. The sound went up to 11 on that one.
I'm suprized you didn't spntaneously combust or choke to death on someone else's vommit!

:P

~Leto II, God Emperor
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

Yes, it was very difficult for me to play IM songs in a one guitar band and make it sound right. Impossible I should say.
Impossible sounds about right. Maybe you could tap all the harmonies at once... :)
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Freakzilla wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

Are you serious?

I have to give Muse two thumbs up. Great shows for the last two trips to Aus.

I loved SP until I saw them live. Billy Corgan was being an asshole the whole time. The highlight of the night was when someone spat a big green gooba onto his t-shirt :twisted:
Maybe it was just a bad night? I think they self destructed not too long after
"Faith: not wanting to know what is true." (Friedrich Nietzsche / 1844-1900)
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Like I said, I saw them early on. Everyone has their bad nights. This is kind of a reunion tour for them, isn't it? Didn't they just get back together for their last record?

~Leto II, God Emperor
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Check this kid out, his strat is bigger than him:

http://www.dafun.de/Kleiner_Kerl_spiel_ ... pelin_3072

~Leto II, God Emperor
Sparafucile

Post by Sparafucile »

I live in Canada, and the closest place that's a sort of music 'mecca' where most artists visit is Montreal, which is a couple hours away, so I rarely get the actual 'good' bands without making a moderate trip out of it. BUT I did get lucky a few times and saw some great shows!

- Iron Maiden, back in 2003 or 2004. Very cool show, was worth the 3 hour bus drive there, shitty opening act, and the almost-missed-the-last-bus-of-the-night-back-home 3 hour ride home.

- Matthew Good/Matthew Good Band, multiple times throughout the years. He actually comes to Ottawa rather frequently, and I used to go see him every time he came, but I find his newer stuff to be ok at best, so I don't see him every time anymore.

- Dream Theater. THIS was a real treat. Saw them twice, both in the same year, once in Montreal and once they actually came to Ottawa (first time ever, and they haven't been back since :( ). These guys played 3.5-4 hour shows each time, and blew my socks off.

And a bunch of other famous canadian artists I saw when I was just a wee lad, when I couldn't really appreciate them. Oh well.

And that stuff about Maiden... was that recent? Because I remember reading about that, but that was many years ago! 8)
A Thing of Eternity

Sparafucile wrote:I live in Canada, and the closest place that's a sort of music 'mecca' where most artists visit is Montreal, which is a couple hours away, so I rarely get the actual 'good' bands without making a moderate trip out of it. BUT I did get lucky a few times and saw some great shows!

- Iron Maiden, back in 2003 or 2004. Very cool show, was worth the 3 hour bus drive there, shitty opening act, and the almost-missed-the-last-bus-of-the-night-back-home 3 hour ride home.

- Matthew Good/Matthew Good Band, multiple times throughout the years. He actually comes to Ottawa rather frequently, and I used to go see him every time he came, but I find his newer stuff to be ok at best, so I don't see him every time anymore.

- Dream Theater. THIS was a real treat. Saw them twice, both in the same year, once in Montreal and once they actually came to Ottawa (first time ever, and they haven't been back since :( ). These guys played 3.5-4 hour shows each time, and blew my socks off.

And a bunch of other famous canadian artists I saw when I was just a wee lad, when I couldn't really appreciate them. Oh well.

And that stuff about Maiden... was that recent? Because I remember reading about that, but that was many years ago! 8)
That's a good list of bands. I didn't realize you were Canadian too.
Sparafucile

Post by Sparafucile »

Born'n'bred 8)
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Freakzilla wrote:Check this kid out, his strat is bigger than him:

http://www.dafun.de/Kleiner_Kerl_spiel_ ... pelin_3072
HOLY CRAP!!! That kid is awesome! He can't be anymore than 7 or 8. Wow, he has a career ahead of him if he decides to go that route.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

That kid is gonna get so much pussy when he gets older.

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Sparafucile wrote:I live in Canada, and the closest place that's a sort of music 'mecca' where most artists visit is Montreal, which is a couple hours away, so I rarely get the actual 'good' bands without making a moderate trip out of it. BUT I did get lucky a few times and saw some great shows!

Coincidence? I think not, its a CONSPIRACY!

~Leto II, God Emperor
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Freakzilla wrote:

better watch yourselves... we're taking over :twisted:
(but we'll ask for permission first, don't worry)
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

Image (Canadian evil laugh)
Neutrinos watch alert !

A Thing of Eternity

Rakis wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

Image (Canadian evil laugh)
Shsssh. :shock:

:lol:
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Been years since I've seen a live show of any major act. Usually it's just some local thing. Saw U2 a few years back, The Tea Party and recently caught a show by Broken Social Scene.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Is there some kind of difference between a live show and a concert? :P

Can't remember what years they were, but I've seen Momus with Poison Girlfriend, Eric Clapton, Sting, and kd lang in Tokyo. FWIW. :)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
A Thing of Eternity

SandChigger wrote:Is there some kind of difference between a live show and a concert? :P
Nope.
Can't remember what years they were, but I've seen Momus with Poison Girlfriend, Eric Clapton, Sting, and kd lang in Tokyo. FWIW. :)
I saw the Police a couple years ago, great show.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

SandChigger wrote:Is there some kind of difference between a live show and a concert? :P
Instigator! :wink: :P
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"

Return to “General Chat”