Brian and Kevie go to Sacramento

Any old topic will do, I suppose.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Brian and Kevie go to Sacramento

Post by Omphalos »

I just got back from their Paul of Dune presentation at one of our local Barnes and Noble Bookstores in Sacramento. It was even a greater waste of time than the one in Seattle. They have their scripts down pat at this point, and the jokes just rolled off their tongues like Model T's must have rolled off of their own assembly lines. And no, I did not buy a book for signature.

Brian opened up with this question: "How many of you are still confused about Dune Messiah?" Not, "how many of you were confused when you first read it" but, "how many of you potato-heads still don't get it?" At least 1/2 of the hands went up. Most of the book talk was to tell the audience about how they no longer have to fret, because Brian and Kevie are here to explain things to them slowly, as many times as it takes to stick.

Kevin even said that Tom Doherty, the chief editor at Tor, told him that "thanks to you and Brian, Messiah now makes sense." Thanks guys.

I was only allowed to ask one question this time, like the last. I asked both of them who their literary heroes are, other than Frank Herbert. They literally both stared at me for five seconds, then both said "well, uh...pretty much Frank Herbert only." Kevin mentioned one other author, but I was not quick enough to get his name, and he also disavowed any pulp links - He said that this is much, much more than a monster story. I'm sure it is, Kevie.

I did get two packs of gummi-worms. I'm about to have my kids transform them into shit for me. Wish them luck!

Whoever else is going to one of these things, there are two things I want to say. First, please post here with your experiences, and second, watch out for these two. Do not ask open ended questions because they will, without fail, turn it around to a book that they have written no matter what you ask about. Be as closed as possible, or they will avoid your question and ramble about something else.

Oh, and one other thing. This time they said that they are higher on the "movie food chain" than the writers. So put that in your pipe and smoke it. They also said that when they get down to LA they will be having a meeting about the movie's progress. Per Brian they have until the end of this month to have a working script or the option expires.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

But that Zeitdammerling (whatever) guy is writing the script, no?

Ugh! :roll:
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Ampoliros

Re: Brian and Kevie go to Sacramento

Post by Ampoliros »

Omphalos wrote:Oh, and one other thing. This time they said that they are higher on the "movie food chain" than the writers. So put that in your pipe and smoke it. They also said that when they get down to LA they will be having a meeting about the movie's progress. Per Brian they have until the end of this month to have a working script or the option expires.
That's an amazing feat of engineering, to be able to put the final nail in a coffin with only one nail.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Omphalos wrote:I just got back from their Paul of Dune presentation at one of our local Barnes and Noble Bookstores in Sacramento.

Oh, and one other thing. This time they said that they are higher on the "movie food chain" than the writers. So put that in your pipe and smoke it. They also said that when they get down to LA they will be having a meeting about the movie's progress. Per Brian they have until the end of this month to have a working script or the option expires.
I'm definitely going to note this. When the movie becomes a complete failure, I can't wait for the about face these two goons will make in an attempt to jump ship.

KJA/BH, September 2008: "We're very involved with the new film and quite high up the film production food chain".

KJA/BH, circa fallout of 2010: "Actually, Brian and I had very little to do with the film other than meet with the production staff to discuss progress".

:)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Since its sure to at the very least introduce Norma, there will be no way for them to do that. :twisted:

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

"Norma is Frank Herbert's invention, we just 'fleshed out' her story a bit."

I'm suggesting this is their defense. Norma Cenva is a creation of Frank Herbert. The whole ugly dwarf turned supermodel-ubergod just gets 'added in' later.
Last edited by Ampoliros on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I wonder if they will include a scene where Paul is born and the worms on Arrakis dance with joy? :roll:

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:But that Zeitdammerling (whatever) guy is writing the script, no?

Ugh! :roll:
I assume so. From what they said I gather that the option has milestones that the production company has to meet inorder to keep it from reverting to the true owner of the interest. From what they said they do not expect any problems to arise at this point, so I guess they are expecting a working draft to be ready, or what ever the option calls for. But whatever it is, its probably just a modicum of proof that the studio is pushing the project along, and not allowing it to lag or die. They put so much time and effort into getting this thing done, I doubt that anything less than totally ignoring the project would result in a reversion.

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:Brian opened up with this question: "How many of you are still confused about Dune Messiah?" Not, "how many of you were confused when you first read it" but, "how many of you potato-heads still don't get it?" At least 1/2 of the hands went up. Most of the book talk was to tell the audience about how they no longer have to fret, because Brian and Kevie are here to explain things to them slowly, as many times as it takes to stick.

Kevin even said that Tom Doherty, the chief editor at Tor, told him that "thanks to you and Brian, Messiah now makes sense." Thanks guys.
I think I just threw up in my mouth. Maybe it's because I've read it several times but I don't think DM was all that hard to understand. Even if I didn't, I wouldn't trust Pinky & the Brian to explain the instructions on a bottle of shampoo to me. That just makes me sick.
Which book of theirs is being made into a movie again???
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:Which book of theirs is being made into a movie again???
I think its called Spice Planet.

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Ampoliros wrote:"Norma is Frank Herbert's invention, we just 'fleshed out' her story a bit."
Did they actually say that or are you just predicting? I'm still waiting to here them out and out lie about this, so far they've just danced around the issue.
Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote: Kevin even said that Tom Doherty, the chief editor at Tor, told him that "thanks to you and Brian, Messiah now makes sense." Thanks guys.
I think I just threw up in my mouth. Maybe it's because I've read it several times but I don't think DM was all that hard to understand. Even if I didn't, I wouldn't trust Pinky & the Brian to explain the instructions on a bottle of shampoo to me. That just makes me sick.
That's the same thought I had, who exactly didn't understand the change in DM? I got it immediately the first time I read it and I hadn't even figured out that FH was writing about the danger of heroes yet, it was just obvious.

Even if a person doesn't understand it for the first bit, FH does have some passages where it explains why... really didn't need to be a book.
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:"Norma is Frank Herbert's invention, we just 'fleshed out' her story a bit."
Did they actually say that or are you just predicting? I'm still waiting to here them out and out lie about this, so far they've just danced around the issue.
I think he just said that, but it happens to be true. FH did mention her first. I didn't realize what he meant by her name though until I realized that she was God.
A Thing of Eternity

Nekhrun wrote:
I think he just said that, but it happens to be true. FH did mention her first. I didn't realize what he meant by her name though until I realized that she was God.
Shit, I hadn't had my coffee yet, I forgot that Norma was mentioned by FH (actually, I forgot that Norma and Oracle are not synonyms). I'm awake now. :oops:
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Nekhrun wrote:
Shit, I hadn't had my coffee yet, I forgot that Norma was mentioned by FH (actually, I forgot that Norma and Oracle are not synonyms). I'm awake now. :oops:

hold the phone... can someone post a quote of FH's Norma reference?
A Thing of Eternity

I think it's in GEoD...
Who has ever heard of Norma Cenva? I have lived her!"
"Of course- Why else would one keep one's ancestors around'' You think a man
designed the first Guild ship:' Your history books told you it was Aurelius
Venport? They lied. It was his mistress, Norma. She gave him the design, along
with five children.
Both of those are obviously Leto II talking.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Omphalos wrote:Since its sure to at the very least introduce Norma, there will be no way for them to do that. :twisted:
LOL :) 2010 is going to be a very good year :)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Anyone else wondering if SC has been "detained" by the Dayton PD?

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

The "long arm of the Dayton law" doesn't extend over the Pacific, I'm afraid.

Sorry, folks, but classes started up again on the 1st, and I've been back over here since last Friday. :oops:

My travel plans were already set and the tickets bought and paid for by the time I found out Kevin was going to be in Dayton. Raising Cain at a book signing didn't seem like a valid excuse for missing a few days of work.

But I hoped that hyping it up would attract the attention of a Preeq or two and that word would get back to The Hack himself and cause him at least a little buttcrack moisture. ;)

If I really were going to attend an event involving these jokers, I wouldn't bother with one where just Kevin was present. I mean, after all, who the fuck is Kevin, anyway? Brian's the Herbert, supposedly; he's the fuzzy one, the weak link, who has to be the focus of any real probing inquiry.

Also, since I firmly believe that most Preeqs are idiots and not above violence, I certainly wouldn't announce where I was going to be ahead of time.

I'm not an idiot, after all. ;)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Damn! It would have been so kewl... :)
Neutrinos watch alert !

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Sorry to disappoint.

This time.

One day I'll be back and in the US permanently. Then we'll up the ante and put things in "high-gear". ;)

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Huh :?:

Did I misinterpret something you wrote? I thought you were going.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

No, you correctly interpreted what I misrepresented.

If I'd been able to stay longer in the States, I would have really gone. (Just not publicized it until after the fact.)

As I've already said, I was hoping someone would pass along the word to Kevvy and get him excited. We'll never know for sure if it worked, I guess. ;)

Again, sorry for the deception.

Was talking to Teg the other day and concluded in Leto II style, concerning the fake PoD chapter and now this, "My gift to you is uncertainty."

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

:lol:

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SandChigger wrote:"My gift to you is uncertainty."
Tut, does that mean I've got to think now rather that just react!!
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

-Rimmer’s farewell speech
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Maybe.

Maybe not.

The answer is...uncertain. :lol:

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

You, sir, are a cad. :P :D
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

-Rimmer’s farewell speech
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

inhuien wrote:You, sir, are a cad. :P :D
I'm not certain about that... :?
Neutrinos watch alert !

Sparafucile

Post by Sparafucile »

You devilish fiend! I love it. The fact that it was all a ruse to get KJA nervous somehow makes it all better. :D

Too bad though. I'd of loved to hear about it. Someday...
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Oh i guarantee Kevie was looking over his shoulder at that little event. :wink:

If I ever make to one of these stinkers, I have every intention of making it a bit tense. I fully intend to have to be removed. I'm going to state matter-of-factly "Hi, you know me from the dunenovels forum as Tleilax Master B. I think you have completely butchered most of the Tleilaxu storylines and I have some specific inconsistencies I would like cleared up....". They'll have me shuffled out of there faster than shit. :twisted:
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

If I hadn't had my son with me at Dragon-Con, I probably would have gone to jail.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Don't worry. They will be doing these group gropes for years to come.

Return to “General Chat”