The Black Cloud, by Fred Hoyle

Links to the book review pages
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

The Black Cloud, by Fred Hoyle

Post by Omphalos »

Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Himachil

Post by Himachil »

Picked up a really nice old copy of this a couple of months back - Consider it shuffled to the top of the pile.
And that, children, is how the little bunny rabbit got his fluffy white tail.

As a minimum, we must demand from SF that it be wiser than the world it speaks to.
--Darko Suvin; On the Poetics of the Science Fiction Genre
Himachil

Post by Himachil »

Great review - pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Just finished it - and it's definitely worth a gander. Thanks for the shuffle advice :D

As a minimum, we must demand from SF that it be wiser than the world it speaks to.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Himachil wrote:Great review - pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Just finished it - and it's definitely worth a gander. Thanks for the shuffle advice :D
No problem. I really love books like this. John Wyndman wrote a bunch of them too, where some catastrophe occurs and the British protagonist not only keeps a stiff upper lip, but makes the best of a horrible situation. They are just pleasant reads, but deal with some really great issues.

Also, for some reason this book and another one called "No Heaven for Gunga Din" bring the most people by far into my web page from search engines. Do you know if Nortonstowe is a real place?

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

Himachil

Post by Himachil »

I've only read Triffids so far, but do have a stack of Wyndham books I'm meaning to read at some point.

I really though Nortonstowe did exist - it's the sort of place that could so easily exist, and it might. But I've had a bit of a search and I don't think it does. Which is a shame - I like visiting places in books (I walked past London University and then shot an invisible triffid with my sketchbook/triffid gun in Russell Square a few years ago... which was more fun that it probably should have been :))

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

then shot an invisible triffid with my sketchbook/triffid gun in Russell Square a few years ago
You should post that. Id be interested in seeing it.

Ive looked on line too, and can find nothing save for references to this book. I ask because I get so many people surfing in looking for "Nortonstowe" that I though it might be a resort or something. If its not, then this book is much more popular than I thought.

Return to “Book Reviews”