Chat a la Worms? (as seen on Jacurutu)

Any old topic will do, I suppose.
The Phantom

Chat a la Worms? (as seen on Jacurutu)

Post by The Phantom »

I was just at scifihaven and noticed (and curiously signed into) his chat function. I was wondering if that's a capability that's built into phpbb or if you'd have to pay extra for it.

if its possible, i think it would be very cool as there are some times (usually mid-evening for me) when there seem to be a number of people online at the same time where it could be useful.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Its just an add on, and probably costs nothing. Ive been a member at Worm's for a few years now and we have tried numerous times to get everyone on at once to have a chat. It never, ever works. If it fails there, it would probably fail here too. So it seems to be more effort to set up than its worth.

If you can get one going at Worms, I might reconsider. But honestly, I have to say "good luck with that!" :wink:
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

yeah seems like more of a novelty item. apparently it costs $5 per month, according to Mandy on Jacurutu.
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

I always forget about the chat, probably because I'm using subshittier and there isn't a link.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Mandy wrote:I always forget about the chat, probably because I'm using subshittier and there isn't a link.
You gotta move yourself to the big city, Mandy. Like Tallahassee.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

5 bucks a month? Fuck that when you just need to open up a random thread for random blahs. Aside, do irc channels cost?
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

-Rimmer’s farewell speech
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

inhuien wrote:5 bucks a month? Fuck that when you just need to open up a random thread for random blahs. Aside, do irc channels cost?
I haven't though of IRC in over a decade. Do any servers still exist?

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Yup, http://www.mirc.com/servers.html but upon further investigation there is a cost and thats $20 to register a channel. http://www.mirc.com/register.html
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

-Rimmer’s farewell speech
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

inhuien wrote:5 bucks a month? Fuck that when you just need to open up a random thread for random blahs. Aside, do irc channels cost?
I don't think it's $5 a month, it's $5 total for the license.
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Mandy wrote:
I don't think it's $5 a month, it's $5 total for the license.
oops. sorry to misquote you.
i didnt double check to verify my memory when posting here.
Ragabash
The Benefactor

Post by Ragabash »

Omphalos wrote:
If there's interest, I can install a private chat server on the machine that hosts T(A)U.
GLaDOS wrote: This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Ragabash wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
If there's interest, I can install a private chat server on the machine that hosts T(A)U.

i think it'd be cool to try it out at least.

Return to “General Chat”