SandRider
Judge of the Change

2004: Russian FanSite Interview

Post by SandRider »

{Russian Dune Fansite}
http://www.thedune.ru
December 2004

Interview with Byron Merritt
Here you can read new interview given to us by Byron Merritt, the grandson of Frank Herbert.
Interviewers: Dicramack & Agamemnon
Interviewee:: Byron Merritt

Brian & Kevin have mentioned graphic novels based on Butlerian Jihad universe in one of their previous interviews. What you know about this project? Has the realization begun or it's simply a prospect idea?

Brian and Kevin are still in negotiations (as of this writing) with their publisher and agent for the production of the graphic novels. According to them, the graphic novels look pretty promising and will probably make it out to the readership soon.

We hope you've already finished reading "The Legends of Dune" trilogy. What's your opinion on it? Did you like it or not? Maybe, the war against machines in "Dune" universe should be told in another way?

I enjoyed the stories for what they were: science fiction for the masses. They were fun reading and it was nice to get a glimpse of the Dune universe during its formation. They aren't (nor were they ever supposed to be) on the same level as Frank Herbert's original Dune. I mean, how could it be? Dune is the science fiction novel that many other stories in the same genre are compared to.

It's pretty easy to sit back and say, "I would've written the war against the machines differently because I saw it like this." Or, "This is what Frank meant." No one can be sure what my grandfather's history of the machine wars was supposed to be. Or can they? Oh, that's right! Brian and Kevin have his notes! Okay, sarcasm's over. But seriously, Brian and Kevin have the notes and know what Frank had in mind. I think the issue some "Dune fans" are having is that Brian and Kevin don't have the same prose as Frank. But how could they?

How many facts, names, characters and etc. in "The Legends of Dune" were taken from Frank Herbert's notes and memos in your opinion?

Many. And this isn't my opinion. I've seen the papers, and Brian and Kevin have taken A LOT of these items that Frank left behind and put them into their prequels. The basic history is straight out of my grandfather's notes, too.

There are many discrepancies between original series and works of Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson? What do you think of it?

Not much. I wasn't really surprised by it. When you jump into a project like this, there are bound to be issues (the prose differences that I mentioned previously, etc.). The "discrepancies" are there, but they don't get in the way of the story for me. I read for enjoyment, not to pick apart a story.

Do you know when "The Road to Dune" is to be published? Approximately.

The "Road to Dune" will be published in the Fall of 2005.

What about Brian & Kevin Dune-based short stories? Can we hope to see new stories like "Hunting Harkonnens" or "Faces of Martyr"?

None are planned as of this writing (I checked with Kevin and Brian on this).

There are rumors, that Sci-Fi Channel is not interested in new projects concerning "Dune Chronicles". Do you know any reason for that? Is there any chance that another channel can be interested in new Dune miniseries?

Oh the TV and movie industry! It's always difficult to get a green light for anything nowadays. I was personally amazed that they did "Children of Dune". Dune Messiah was my least favorite of the original series, but they did a really good job of adapting it to the screen.

The SciFi Channel has first dibs on the rights for TV. Whether or not they choose to exercise those rights . . . I don't know. The ball is in their court, but they haven't returned it yet. But who knows what the future holds.

Is there any chance to see Frank Herbert's original outline for "Dune-7"? Is Herbert Limited Partnership going to publish them someday after the last Dune-7 volume?

Nothing like that is planned. I don't think a publisher would be interested in it, either. You have to remember that the publishing industry is based on money; there's no money in publishing those notes. That's not to say that there's not any "interest" in it. The Dune fans would probably like to see it, but that's not enough incentive for a publisher to print it.

Have you read Frank Herbert's biography "Dreamer of Dune" written by Brian Herbert? What do you think of it?

I loved it! But it was for selfish reasons. Reading "Dreamer of Dune" was like reliving my family history, and it brought back some pretty fantastic memories of my grandfather. I wasn't sure if there would be enough interest out there for a book like that, but apparently there was. It even got nominated for a Hugo Award! Amazing!

What else Dune projects can we expect in 2005? What about "Hunters of Dune"? Is the exact date already known? Shall it be autumn of 2005 or later?

"Hunters of Dune" will probably be released in the Fall of 2006. Brian and Kevin have been given four years (two years per book) to finish "Dune 7".

How many percent of material in "Road to Dune" will be written by Frank Herbert, except for cut scenes from "Chronicles"? Are there any plans for new books like "Road to Dune" in future?

I'm not entirely sure. Hadn't thought about breaking it down like that. My assumption is that it'll be about 20 - 30% Frank and 70 - 80% Brian and Kevin.

There are only so many notes that Frank left, so I doubt there'll be any more "Road to Dune" style stories coming out.

Does Herbert Limited Partnership has any plans for new release of Dune CCG (collectible card game)?

Nothing like that is currently being developed. It may be in the future, though. Lots of ideas are being tossed around right now.

Once Brian said, that before his work on "Prelude to Dune" he's compiled a big Dune Concordance. Is there any chance for publishing of new Dune Encyclopedia based on it?

There won't be a Dune Encyclopedia, so to speak. The Dune Concordance might be considered something of an encyclopedia once readers get their hands on it. Brian's too busy to finish that up quite yet, though. He's busily working on the Dune 7 material right now.

Have you listened to any music inspired by Dune? For example, "A Time to Land" by Iron Maiden or "Traveler in Time" by Blind Guardian?

My love of music doesn't extend that far. I'm a child of the 60's and 70's. I did enjoy (and received) the soundtrack to "Children of Dune". Brian Tyler did a phenomenal job on that soundtrack!

What actors of "Children of Dune" miniseries do you like most? Who reproduced his book character in best way?

My three favorite were (in order): Jessica Brooks as Ghanima, James McAvoy as Leto II, and, surprisingly, Alice Krige as an aging Lady Jessica. Although the -children- were much younger in my grandfather's portrayal in "Children of Dune", I enjoyed the relationship between these three characters that the TV miniseries developed. For sheer beauty, though, I'd have to go with a fourth choice, Daniela Amavia as the tortured Alia.

Also, not surprisingly, this miniseries won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Visual Effects for a miniseries, movie, or special.

Have you read "Dune Encyclopedia" by Dr. Willis E. McNelly? What do you think of it?

No, I haven't read it.

[edit]
english version @arrakis.ru :
http://www.arrakis.ru/merritt_eng_dec.shtml
[/edit]
Sev

Re: 2004: Russian FanSite Interview

Post by Sev »

Byron Merritt wrote:I enjoyed the stories for what they were: science fiction for the masses. They were fun reading and it was nice to get a glimpse of the Dune universe during its formation. They aren't (nor were they ever supposed to be) on the same level as Frank Herbert's original Dune. I mean, how could it be? Dune is the science fiction novel that many other stories in the same genre are compared to.
Science fiction for the masses - says it all. They aren't nor were ever supposed to be on the same level as Frank? That's true enough - but they could have tried!!!
"It was early 1974 before I made any attempt to read Dune. After forty pages I gave up. I couldn't get into the book. It seemed convoluted, opaque and full of strange language." - Brian "Bobo" Herbert
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

I got as far as the "there wouldn't be any market demand for the notes" part and couldn't go on; there's just so much bullshit you can read in one sitting.
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SoucheNozzle wrote:Have you read "Dune Encyclopedia" by Dr. Willis E. McNelly? What do you think of it?
No, I haven't read it.
Horse. SHIT.
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

TheDukester wrote:
SoucheNozzle wrote:Have you read "Dune Encyclopedia" by Dr. Willis E. McNelly? What do you think of it?
No, I haven't read it.
Horse. SHIT.
He just read it since that interview and now confuses it with GEoD, remember?
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Nekhrun wrote:
TheDukester wrote:
No, I haven't read it.
Horse. SHIT.
He just read it since that interview and now confuses it with GEoD, remember?
That was awesome. They're SO busted for getting ideas from the DE.

Return to “Byron Merritt”