April 25, 2006 "DUNE - russian site" part 2

Moderators: SandRider, D Pope

D Pope
Archivist

April 25, 2006 "DUNE - russian site" part 2

Post by D Pope »

http://www.arrakis.ru/briankev2006_eng.shtml

Interview with Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson

Exclusive interview for our web-site. Answers received on April 25, 2006 with the help of Byron Merritt.

Could you tell us about your creative prospects for Dune. What new projects after Dune-7 can we expect?
Our main new project will be the Paul of Dune trilogy, which tells both the story of young Paul, his friendship with Duncan Idaho, Duke Leto's War of Assassins, as well as the story between DUNE and DUNE MESSIAH, about Paul's great Jihad and his work to consolidate and reshape the empire. After that, we may write a book or books about the formation of the great Schools after the Butlerian Jihad, but we don't have any definite plans.

Mr.Herbert, can you tell us about your new novel "Timeweb"?
While Kevin takes his turn editing our Dune books, I have been writing my own epic, galaxy-spanning science fiction series. Timeweb (the first of three projected novels) is scheduled for publication in May. Reminiscent of my first novel, Sidney's Comet, there is rampant consumerism in the Timeweb universe, but on a much bigger scale, encompassing multiple planets and star systems that are ruled by the Merchant Prince Alliance. As a result of such excesses, or for other mysterious reaso ns, an ecological catastrophe threatens to destroy the entire universe. Noah Watanabe, the estranged son of one of the merchant princes, leads a force of ecological warriors in a desperate attempt to save the day.

What about new Dune-based short stories?
We've done two new short stories to tie in to HUNTERS OF DUNE and SANDWORMS OF DUNE. The first, Sea Child, is being published in a new anthology, ELEMENTAL, to raise money for the victims of the Tsunami two years ago. The second, Treasure in the Sand, will come out in a new web-based magazine, JIM BAEN'S UNIVERSE, and should be available this August.

You have mentioned graphic novels based on Butlerian Jihad universe in one of your previous interviews. Has the realization begun or it's simply a prospect idea?
We're very interested in doing this, and we are still trying to work out the details. Many decades pass between THE MACHINE CRUSADE and THE BATTLE OF CORRIN, and we would probably set the graphic novels there.

Are there any plans for new Butlerian Jihad short stories?
We don't have any plans to do more, but if an idea comes to us, we will write one.

Are there any plans for new books like "Road to Dune" in future? We hope to see Frank Herberts outline for Dune 7 published some day.
THE ROAD TO DUNE contains the most important and interesting pieces of Frank Herbert's notes. We probably won't be doing more collections like that.

Are there any plans for DUNE CONCORDANCE in near or far future?
Brian compiled a concordance of the original Dune books for ourselves, which we use to ensure accuracy in our novels. It needs to be greatly expanded to include all of our prequel novels and the two volumes of DUNE 7, and because of the work involved to put it into a publishable form, it-s not likely we would ever be able to do that.

thanks for your interest.
Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
When a brand knew urinal puck showed up in the bathroom of my studio, I knew what I had to do.
-AToE
Freakzilla
Archivist

Re: April 25, 2006 "DUNE - russian site" part 2

Post by Freakzilla »

D Pope wrote:Are there any plans for DUNE CONCORDANCE in near or far future?

Brian compiled a concordance of the original Dune books for ourselves, which we use to ensure accuracy in our novels. It needs to be greatly expanded to include all of our prequel novels and the two volumes of DUNE 7, and because of the work involved to put it into a publishable form, it-s not likely we would ever be able to do that.

thanks for your interest.
Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
God forbid he actually had to do any WORK! :x
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor

Return to “Brian Herbert”