Video: Short Clip

Moderators: SandRider, D Pope

SandRider
Judge of the Change

Video: Short Clip

Post by SandRider »

from YouTube, posted November 2007

if anyone knows the date and source of this interview,
please note ... also if any other of this is posted anywhere ...

anyone caring to transcribe and post this interview in this thread
will get double cookie ...
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Re: Video: Short Clip

Post by Omphalos »

I have it in the secondary sources bibliography. Think I got it from Dune Italia.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SandRider wrote:if anyone knows the date and source of this interview,
please note ... also if any other of this is posted anywhere ...

anyone caring to transcribe and post this interview in this thread
will get double cookie ...
Frank Herbert on the BBC Breakfast Time programme, it's in the promotional run up to the release of Lynches 1984 masterpiece, so November/December 1984 wrote:I was almost an historian. I seriously considered being an historian, and while I was in the throes of this decision. I came on the idea that Leaders amplify the mistakes, their mistakes are amplified by the numbers who follow them without question. And charismatic leaders tend to build up followings, power structures, and those power structures tend to be taken over by people who are corruptible. I don't think that the old saw about power corrupting and absolute power corrupting absolutely is accurate, is think power attracts the corruptible.

Dune is conceived as a planet that is totally desert. So that water on it is a metaphor of, say, oil here, very appropriate at the moment. It is a metaphor for/of clean air, it is a metaphor for/of water itself, potable water. And it's a metaphor for the shortages the we are encountering because of over population, and the story is told in a, in terms of the, of people who are recognisable, you'd recognise these people, but they live in a culture which is somewhat different.
Here's my evidence although I've been saying this for years, but would anyone listen. :wink: see 1:32 to 2:03ish for set comparisons, but it's the clock graphic and the fact I recall watching it at the time that's always been the clincher for me.

Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

-Rimmer’s farewell speech
SandRider
Judge of the Change

Post by SandRider »

ImageImage

also: mygod is that second clip some horrible television ... while I enjoyed
the apple][ graphics at the beginning, during the minute and a half it took to
run their animated logo and the sun to come up, my mind wandered back to
those far away days when there were only three, at the best, four, TV channels
to watch ... I don't know if the attention span is actually shorter today or what,
but I do know that bullshit wouldn't fly now ... and the banter when the show
actually started ... lord .... it's a full three minutes before they get to the "news
desk", where I was gratified to find Reagan acting like an asshole, rebuffing
the Soviet Union's offer to return to talks over short-range missiles in Europe ...
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

The presenter in blue has the full 80s-era Lady Di thing going on, too.

HBJ
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

One more remembrance, it was broadcast at 8:26 am. :shifty: :oops=:
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SandRider, I've copied the above clip from the DVD VOB in case you fancy having a better copy.

http://hotfile.com/dl/115745156/1f7fd20 ... 1.VOB.html

ᴶᵛᵀᴬ
Joseph-Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

"This interview took place the week the film of 'Dune' was premiered in the UK in December 1984 on BBC1's 'Breakfast Time.' Frank Herbert was interviewed by Frank Bough."

Archival BBC interview with Frank Herbert (83-second)
BBC1's Breakfast Time programme [circa 7-14 dec. 1984]
Frank Bough, Selina Scott and Nick Ross anchored the show
[<http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/itvbreakfast/tvam.html>]
    Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
    ۞ Shaihuludata gigantica Gratia, Fidei defensor ۞

Return to “Frank Herbert Interviews”