Hitchhikder's Guide To The Galaxy

Any old topic will do, I suppose.
chanilover

Hitchhikder's Guide To The Galaxy

Post by chanilover »

So I finally read it and it's pretty funny, although it seems a bit quaint and dated in parts.

So there you have it.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Its very cute.

Comical SF that really is funny is pretty hard to come by. Adams was really good at it. There were not many before him who were that funny, (Tenn, Sheckley, a few others) and most of those guys relied on situational humor. Adams poked fun really well at SF's themes, which was pretty original and kind of thought-provoking, I think.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Restaurant at the End of the Universe has always been my favorite

"Now that I have your orders, I'll just nip off and kill myself." The cow looks back at Arthur, "Don't worry sir, I'll be humane."

:)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

GamePlayer wrote:Restaurant at the End of the Universe has always been my favorite

"Now that I have your orders, I'll just nip off and kill myself." The cow looks back at Arthur, "Don't worry sir, I'll be humane."

:)
It's good but the ending sucks. I get depressed for a day or two after reading it.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
chanilover

Re: Hitchhikder's Guide To The Galaxy

Post by chanilover »

I'm reading the third book. THe part where they land at Lords on the chesterfield sofa and the cricket commentators are blithering on made me laugh out loud. He captured the mind-numbling banality of cricket commentary perfectly. :lol: :clap:

Return to “General Chat”