People on This Board

Any old topic will do, I suppose.

People on This Board

Postby Nekhrun » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:50 am

At the risk of hijacking his precious book review thread, I'm moving this conversation here:

Omphalos wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:Way to go Harriet! :twisted:


Tsk! Are the Wild already sucking so badly that you have to be this cruel?


Wild Win! Suck it!


Fortunately I will not have to hear that many more times this season.

At least once more, another win! NHL's leading scorer is some guy named Aaron Voros (hmmm, I've heard of that guy). 8)
User avatar
Nekhrun
Archivist
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:12 pm

Postby inhuien » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:19 am

Good for you, well done! But really, what is your point?
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

-Rimmer’s farewell speech
inhuien
 
Posts: 741
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:54 am

Postby Nekhrun » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:16 am

inhuien wrote:Good for you, well done! But really, what is your point?

That Omphalos is mean.
User avatar
Nekhrun
Archivist
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:12 pm

Postby A Thing of Eternity » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:31 am

Boooo Wild. :wink:

But hurray for Americans enjoying Hockey. Anything that gets Y'all away from the tedium of Baseball and Football is a good thing!
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 1:22 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta

Postby Freakzilla » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:58 am

I hear the owner of the Atlanta Falcons football team is looking to by a Major League Soccer franchise.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA

Postby Omphalos » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:04 am

Nekhrun wrote:
inhuien wrote:Good for you, well done! But really, what is your point?

That Omphalos is mean.


Im so sorry. The Wild are contenders. They rock. They have the coolest name in the league. Every team should consider taking on an adjective as their name that doesn't quite fit the rules for nomenclature. That would be cool. If this region ever got a team we could be the Sacramento Helpful, or the Stockton Ripe, or something like that.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby A Thing of Eternity » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:51 am

Omphalos wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
inhuien wrote:Good for you, well done! But really, what is your point?

That Omphalos is mean.


Im so sorry. The Wild are contenders. They rock. They have the coolest name in the league. Every team should consider taking on an adjective as their name that doesn't quite fit the rules for nomenclature. That would be cool. If this region ever got a team we could be the Sacramento Helpful, or the Stockton Ripe, or something like that.


:D
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 1:22 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta

Postby Nekhrun » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:48 pm

Omphalos wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
inhuien wrote:Good for you, well done! But really, what is your point?

That Omphalos is mean.


Im so sorry. The Wild are contenders. They rock. They have the coolest name in the league. Every team should consider taking on an adjective as their name that doesn't quite fit the rules for nomenclature. That would be cool. If this region ever got a team we could be the Sacramento Helpful, or the Stockton Ripe, or something like that.

That's still a sore spot around here. I find that name totally inappropriate. I still go to the games, but I do hate the name with a passion.
User avatar
Nekhrun
Archivist
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:12 pm

Postby SandChigger » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:05 pm

Speaking of people on our boards, where has Phaedrus gotten to? Anyone heard from him? :?
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Omphalos » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:28 pm

SandChigger wrote:Speaking of people on our boards, where has Phaedrus gotten to? Anyone heard from him? :?


He mentioned a bit ago returning to school. I assume that he just got bogged down and got out of the Dune-board habit. But he has been around recently; two months or so?
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Trang » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:01 pm

I just thought would throw in, that I have always liked the name "maruaders" but have yet to see any team, professional or amatuer use it. I wonder why? Coming into your town, pillaging and plundering, sounds like a good sports team goal.

Just a thought,
trang
User avatar
Trang
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:45 pm
Location: Hot Tub Time Machine

Postby The Phantom » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:15 pm

Trang wrote:I just thought would throw in, that I have always liked the name "maruaders" but have yet to see any team, professional or amatuer use it. I wonder why? Coming into your town, pillaging and plundering, sounds like a good sports team goal.

Just a thought,
trang


McMaster Marauders
User avatar
The Phantom
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:06 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby Omphalos » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:07 pm

Back when Abe "Dumbass" Pollin decided to rename the Bullets the Wizards (a name change that I hated), I suggested that we call them The Revolution. Then we could be the Washington Revs or something cool like that. Instead he chose to name us after the commander of the KKK's armies, the asshole.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Phaedrus » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:48 pm

Omphalos wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Speaking of people on our boards, where has Phaedrus gotten to? Anyone heard from him? :?


He mentioned a bit ago returning to school. I assume that he just got bogged down and got out of the Dune-board habit. But he has been around recently; two months or so?


No, I'm gone for good.

I did get busy, not always(if ever) with school, but you know, real life and stuff.

So it goes.
User avatar
Phaedrus
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:18 am

Postby SandChigger » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:10 pm

But veee meeessss shoooo! ;)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Omphalos » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:20 pm

Hello there, old timer!
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby SandChigger » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:06 pm

So, where is everybody?

Ees toooo qviet! I can heeeear dee feesh laffing.... :(
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Omphalos » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:26 pm

It is kinda dead, isn't it? things will pick up a bit. This board tends to wax and wane.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Eyes High » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:30 pm

traffic is slow on some other boards as well. We are not alone here in that fact. Wake up everyone. :lol:
I shall lift up my eyes unto the glory of the Lord.
Image

Safety's just danger out of place.
User avatar
Eyes High
Momma Eyes
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:39 pm
Location: between the worlds of men and make believe

Postby GamePlayer » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:56 pm

The early parts of the year are slow on most message boards. People take a while to recover from post-Christmas and are typically busy with work, catching up after so much time off.

Then of course, February has Valentine's Day. This means millions of single folk running around with their heads cut off, trying to hook up with anyone they can so they won't be alone on that day of love :)

"Well, I got one foot on the platform
The other foot on the train
I'm goin' back to New Orleans
To wear that ball and chain

Well, there is a house in New Orleans
They call the Rising Sun
And it's been the ruin of many a poor boy
And God I know I'm one
"

:)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Postby Omphalos » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:42 pm

I tell you guys what, work has really kept me busy since the New Year.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby chanilover » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:38 am

I'm going snowboarding next week. YAY!
Image
chanilover
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:52 pm

Postby The Phantom » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:24 am

chanilover wrote:I'm going snowboarding next week. YAY!



jealous :(
i haven't had a chance to get out at all this year and now it's 11C and raining and all the snow is melting :(
I am not my own.
User avatar
The Phantom
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:06 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby Freakzilla » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:06 am

Omphalos wrote:I tell you guys what, work has really kept me busy since the New Year.


We have more work than we could burn, which is always a good thing. However since the economy is in the toilet there's a hiring freeze, not that we could find anyone before that. It's a small employee pool. If I had the time I'd go back to school for a masters in Fire Protection Engineering. Those guys make crazy salaries.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA

Postby The Phantom » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:17 am

Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I tell you guys what, work has really kept me busy since the New Year.


We have more work than we could burn, which is always a good thing. However since the economy is in the toilet there's a hiring freeze, not that we could find anyone before that. It's a small employee pool. If I had the time I'd go back to school for a masters in Fire Protection Engineering. Those guys make crazy salaries.


so make the time for it.. i mean if the return is that drastic, it's worth the couple years off salary.
I'm one of those people who feel as long as an economic argument can be made for it, more education is always worthwhile.
I am not my own.
User avatar
The Phantom
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:06 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby A Thing of Eternity » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:01 am

Too much work for me. Bad. Tired.
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 1:22 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta

Postby Freakzilla » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:59 am

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I tell you guys what, work has really kept me busy since the New Year.


We have more work than we could burn, which is always a good thing. However since the economy is in the toilet there's a hiring freeze, not that we could find anyone before that. It's a small employee pool. If I had the time I'd go back to school for a masters in Fire Protection Engineering. Those guys make crazy salaries.


so make the time for it.. i mean if the return is that drastic, it's worth the couple years off salary.
I'm one of those people who feel as long as an economic argument can be made for it, more education is always worthwhile.


I tried not too long ago. For me to take classes full time, every spare minute not spent at work and school would have to be spent studying. Having four kids does not allow that.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA

Postby The Phantom » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:02 pm

Freakzilla wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I tell you guys what, work has really kept me busy since the New Year.


We have more work than we could burn, which is always a good thing. However since the economy is in the toilet there's a hiring freeze, not that we could find anyone before that. It's a small employee pool. If I had the time I'd go back to school for a masters in Fire Protection Engineering. Those guys make crazy salaries.


so make the time for it.. i mean if the return is that drastic, it's worth the couple years off salary.
I'm one of those people who feel as long as an economic argument can be made for it, more education is always worthwhile.


I tried not too long ago. For me to take classes full time, every spare minute not spent at work and school would have to be spent studying. Having four kids does not allow that.


good point. foregoing work would be the only way to pull it off, but obviously isn't an option for most.
I am not my own.
User avatar
The Phantom
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:06 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby SandRider » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:38 pm

speaking of children taking over your lives, where's Rakis ?
User avatar
SandRider
Judge of the Change
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: on the worm

Postby Omphalos » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:20 pm

Freakzilla wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I tell you guys what, work has really kept me busy since the New Year.


We have more work than we could burn, which is always a good thing. However since the economy is in the toilet there's a hiring freeze, not that we could find anyone before that. It's a small employee pool. If I had the time I'd go back to school for a masters in Fire Protection Engineering. Those guys make crazy salaries.


so make the time for it.. i mean if the return is that drastic, it's worth the couple years off salary.
I'm one of those people who feel as long as an economic argument can be made for it, more education is always worthwhile.


I tried not too long ago. For me to take classes full time, every spare minute not spent at work and school would have to be spent studying. Having four kids does not allow that.


That is exactly why I waited til my mid-30's to impregnate someone. GOD I hate condoms! But they can be the keys to long-term happiness!
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby The Phantom » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:40 pm

Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I tell you guys what, work has really kept me busy since the New Year.


We have more work than we could burn, which is always a good thing. However since the economy is in the toilet there's a hiring freeze, not that we could find anyone before that. It's a small employee pool. If I had the time I'd go back to school for a masters in Fire Protection Engineering. Those guys make crazy salaries.


so make the time for it.. i mean if the return is that drastic, it's worth the couple years off salary.
I'm one of those people who feel as long as an economic argument can be made for it, more education is always worthwhile.


I tried not too long ago. For me to take classes full time, every spare minute not spent at work and school would have to be spent studying. Having four kids does not allow that.


That is exactly why I waited til my mid-30's to impregnate someone. GOD I hate condoms! But they can be the keys to long-term happiness!


:lol: :lol:
words of the wise :P
I am not my own.
User avatar
The Phantom
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:06 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby Omphalos » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:46 pm

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I tell you guys what, work has really kept me busy since the New Year.


We have more work than we could burn, which is always a good thing. However since the economy is in the toilet there's a hiring freeze, not that we could find anyone before that. It's a small employee pool. If I had the time I'd go back to school for a masters in Fire Protection Engineering. Those guys make crazy salaries.


so make the time for it.. i mean if the return is that drastic, it's worth the couple years off salary.
I'm one of those people who feel as long as an economic argument can be made for it, more education is always worthwhile.


I tried not too long ago. For me to take classes full time, every spare minute not spent at work and school would have to be spent studying. Having four kids does not allow that.


That is exactly why I waited til my mid-30's to impregnate someone. GOD I hate condoms! But they can be the keys to long-term happiness!


:lol: :lol:
words of the wise :P


Ive never been able to pull out. I just cant stand that though. So I gotta.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby SandChigger » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:03 pm

:shock:

Always something eye-opening to wake me up here.

Must be why this is my first destination after checking comments on my blog. ;)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby A Thing of Eternity » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:23 pm

I think I'm just going to go for the ol' snip-snip. Seems like it would save me a lot of trouble in the end. I can always adopt if I decide to have kids, or I imagine they could get at the sperm somehow, not like it'll be gone. :wink:
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 1:22 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta

Postby Dune Nerd » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:34 pm

Freakzilla wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I tell you guys what, work has really kept me busy since the New Year.


We have more work than we could burn, which is always a good thing. However since the economy is in the toilet there's a hiring freeze, not that we could find anyone before that. It's a small employee pool. If I had the time I'd go back to school for a masters in Fire Protection Engineering. Those guys make crazy salaries.


so make the time for it.. i mean if the return is that drastic, it's worth the couple years off salary.
I'm one of those people who feel as long as an economic argument can be made for it, more education is always worthwhile.


I tried not too long ago. For me to take classes full time, every spare minute not spent at work and school would have to be spent studying. Having four kids does not allow that.


I am currently about 2/3rds done with my master's in engineering. I have two kids and a wife and my income is the only coming into the house.

We like the setup and now I am too far into the master's not to finish it up but this has become a big mistake, don't get me wrong the payout will be nice in the end, but I have no time for anything.

Luckily, I don't give a shit about my GPA so school is the first thing sacrificed so my kids and wife don't mind too much. (That is besides finals week)
Dune Nerd
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:38 am

Postby Omphalos » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:45 pm

I suppose I could have done that my third year of law school. Its pretty much a waste of time where you finish all the bullshit you need for the bar. The saying is: "The first year they scare you to death. The second year they work you to death. The third year they bore you to death." But I still waited to get a career going.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby SandRider » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:43 pm

I got kicked out of school in 70.
My draft number was 8.
My life's been downhill since then.
User avatar
SandRider
Judge of the Change
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: on the worm

Postby SandChigger » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:37 am

Huh. I figured it started looking up when you found us. :P
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Robspierre » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:09 pm

Taking 15 credit hours this semester, have to spend time in the schools, will be taking my content test later this year, need to take a science class over the summer because we for some stupid reason need to have three sciences with labs for my degree, I have two, then in fall of 09, take the last 15 credits I need of college course work and spring of 2010, I student teach and graduate in May, so a bit busy for me :shock:

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.

http://kiltedrobspub.blogspot.com/
User avatar
Robspierre
Archivist
 
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:52 am
Location: The Cascades of Oregon

Postby SandChigger » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:26 pm

Did my last class for this academic year last Monday, turned in graduating senior grades on Tuesday. :D

Grades for the other lot are due at the end of the month, but other than that and preparing for classes in April I've got practically nothing on the schedule until the end of March.

YIPPEEEEE! 8)


(There are reasons why people hate me, I know.)
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby chanilover » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:48 pm

I don't think anyone has any "me time" in work anymore. I started a new job a couple of months ago, and it's really hard work, although I'm enjoying it.
Image
chanilover
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:52 pm

Postby Omphalos » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:34 pm

chanilover wrote:I don't think anyone has any "me time" in work anymore. I started a new job a couple of months ago, and it's really hard work, although I'm enjoying it.


What are you doing now?
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby chanilover » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:50 am

I left the legal department of the bank I worked at and am now on a training contract at a law firm, so I'm a trainee solicitor. Still working on the corporate side, I'm not remotely interested in fighting for justice for the underdog. Those losers haven't got enough money to pay me. :lol:
Image
chanilover
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:52 pm

Postby Omphalos » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:47 am

chanilover wrote:I left the legal department of the bank I worked at and am now on a training contract at a law firm, so I'm a trainee solicitor. Still working on the corporate side, I'm not remotely interested in fighting for justice for the underdog. Those losers haven't got enough money to pay me. :lol:


Great! Corporate stuff is kind of what I do. Actually more the business side then the regulation side, although they do consult with me a bunch on regs and compliance. Personally Im done with direct handling of litigation, but you need to have those skills in order to move up the ladder. You won't be part of the "club" without them. Congratulations, CL!
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby chanilover » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:32 pm

Cheers!
Image
chanilover
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:52 pm

Postby Nekhrun » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:00 am

Any of you drunkards out west going to be in San Francisco this weekend?
User avatar
Nekhrun
Archivist
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:12 pm

Postby Omphalos » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:22 am

Had not planned on it, but could be. We could try to meet at Pier 39 again. The kids would probably love to go to the aquarium there, and see the seals.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Nekhrun » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:28 pm

Omphalos wrote:Had not planned on it, but could be. We could try to meet at Pier 39 again. The kids would probably love to go to the aquarium there, and see the seals.

I'd be game. Let me know if a particular day/time works for you and I'll make sure to get away from family stuff.
User avatar
Nekhrun
Archivist
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:12 pm

Re: People on This Board

Postby Rakis » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:15 am

Ok, i must have miss something, but...

WTF is Google [Bot]? :think:
Neutrinos watch alert !

Image
User avatar
Rakis
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: People on This Board

Postby GamePlayer » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:34 am

Just a search program that allows google to add the contents of websites to it's search engine. Thus, if for example you were to write of Kevin J. Anderson on this message board, the google bot catalogs the instances his name appears on this board so that you can type "Kevin J. Anderson" in Google and find TAU among the search results :)

For example, if I were to type "kevin j anderson sucks" in Google, I get my chigga's blog as the 14th result :)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: People on This Board

Postby Omphalos » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:42 am

Bots and spiders go out and search the web for strings entered at search sites. The old board did not track them, but the new board does, and in fact even assigns them all to a certain user group. There are over 50 that have already shown up here.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: People on This Board

Postby Rakis » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:23 am

So this is a good thing...

I thought it would attract spam or something...

And finally...how many times would we have to write kevin j anderson sucks to be # 1 result on Google? :P
Neutrinos watch alert !

Image
User avatar
Rakis
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: People on This Board

Postby Mandy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:40 am

You should definitely start a thread with that as the title, and then link to it from another board. The more links back, the higher on the page it goes, I think.
Reductio ad Hypatiam
User avatar
Mandy
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Re: People on This Board

Postby Rakis » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:43 am

Mandy wrote:You should definitely start a thread with that as the title, and then link to it from another board. The more links back, the higher on the page it goes, I think.


Splendid :twisted:
Neutrinos watch alert !

Image
User avatar
Rakis
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: People on This Board

Postby SandChigger » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:23 pm

I'm assuming "Testy Testicle" is a spammer.... ;)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Re: People on This Board

Postby GamePlayer » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:57 pm

It's certainly an unusual name for spam bots.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: People on This Board

Postby Omphalos » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:20 am

SandChigger wrote:I'm assuming "Testy Testicle" is a spammer.... ;)


Whoops! :shock:

Wanted to see what the new Catchca system looked like. Its pretty damn cool. Ragabash tells me that I can put in pictures from the Dune movie if I want to.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: People on This Board

Postby SandChigger » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:32 am

Yes, yes, I'm sure and all that, let's get back to the discussion of your choices in test account names.... :naughty:
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Re: People on This Board

Postby GamePlayer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:47 am

:orcs-whip:
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: People on This Board

Postby Eyes High » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:40 am

SandChigger wrote:Yes, yes, I'm sure and all that, let's get back to the discussion of your choices in test account names.... :naughty:



That was too funny
I shall lift up my eyes unto the glory of the Lord.
Image

Safety's just danger out of place.
User avatar
Eyes High
Momma Eyes
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:39 pm
Location: between the worlds of men and make believe

Re: People on This Board

Postby Omphalos » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:12 am

SandChigger wrote:Yes, yes, I'm sure and all that, let's get back to the discussion of your choices in test account names.... :naughty:


That was my pseudonym from back when I wrote letters to Penthouse. "You'll never believe what happened to me the other day. I can hardly believe it myself!...And then I learned for sure that donkeys do smoke cigarettes.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: People on This Board

Postby Ragabash » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:36 am

Omphalos wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Yes, yes, I'm sure and all that, let's get back to the discussion of your choices in test account names.... :naughty:


That was my pseudonym from back when I wrote letters to Penthouse. "You'll never believe what happened to me the other day. I can hardly believe it myself!...And then I learned for sure that donkeys do smoke cigarettes.

:obscene-hanged:
GLaDOS wrote:This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.
User avatar
Ragabash
The Benefactor
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:39 pm
Location: Sacramento. CA

Re: People on This Board

Postby Nekhrun » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:14 pm

Omphalos wrote:
SandChigger wrote:I'm assuming "Testy Testicle" is a spammer.... ;)


Whoops! :shock:

Wanted to see what the new Catchca system looked like. Its pretty damn cool. Ragabash tells me that I can put in pictures from the Dune movie if I want to.

There you go being all literal again.
User avatar
Nekhrun
Archivist
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:12 pm

Re: People on This Board

Postby Phaedrus » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:07 am

Wow, it's been over 3 months since I've posted here?

I don't even know where the time goes.
"It means ruin to choose to think for oneself if one can't think." -Jens Bjorneboe
User avatar
Phaedrus
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:18 am

Re: People on This Board

Postby Rakis » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:00 am

Sometime, time goes into changing diapers, feeding, cleaning, and on and on and on... :sleeping-blue:
Neutrinos watch alert !

Image
User avatar
Rakis
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: People on This Board

Postby Freakzilla » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:25 am

Rakis wrote:Sometime, time goes into changing diapers, feeding, cleaning, and on and on and on... :sleeping-blue:


Enjoy it while you can. Before you know it they'll be telling you "NO!" :wink:
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA

Re: People on This Board

Postby Rakis » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:38 am

Freakzilla wrote:
Rakis wrote:Sometime, time goes into changing diapers, feeding, cleaning, and on and on and on... :sleeping-blue:


Enjoy it while you can. Before you know it they'll be telling you "NO!" :wink:


I also have a 4 year-old daughter...too late. :)
Neutrinos watch alert !

Image
User avatar
Rakis
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: People on This Board

Postby Omphalos » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:58 am

Phaedrus wrote:Wow, it's been over 3 months since I've posted here?

I don't even know where the time goes.


Hi there stranger. Welcome back.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California


Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron