Forgotten Myths

Any old topic will do, I suppose.
Eyes High
Momma Eyes

Forgotten Myths

Post by Eyes High »

There are a lot more Norse gods, goddesses, and people of lore than I realized or either just plan forgot over the years. Of course I’ve read about Loki and Thor and some of the others but when I saw this thread was empty I typed in Norse mythology and choose this link: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0197623.html.

It seems like the Norse myths are relatively obscured. Wonder why the other myths are better known?

I remember being fascinated in high school with all types of myths.

Are there myths you use to like when you were younger but grew away from as the years past?
I shall lift up my eyes unto the glory of the Lord.

Safety's just danger out of place.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

South american mythology was a fav of mine, actually very interesting how many deities,if not a majority, were considered evil, but at the same time revered... :P
Neutrinos watch alert !

SandChigger
Archivist

Re: Forgotten Myths

Post by SandChigger »

Eyes High wrote:Are there myths you use to like when you were younger but grew away from as the years past?
Yeah, the Judaeo-Christian ones. :wink:
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

Eyes High wrote:It seems like the Norse myths are relatively obscured. Wonder why the other myths are better known?
It is my understanding that many of the myths were destroyed during the conversion to Christianity and in an effort to update their religion many of the older stories were destroyed. Much that is left is fragmented or refers to other stories which we no longer have copies of.

One of the things I've always liked about Norse myths is that they're full of spoilers and stories sometimes refer to events that were not supposed to have happened yet. I really would like to get this thread going a little more.

I've found that my students enjoy these myths more than the Greek ones that are so popular in high school teaching curriculum. It might have something to do with many students in MN having a Scandinavian background though.
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:
Eyes High wrote:Are there myths you use to like when you were younger but grew away from as the years past?
Yeah, the Judaeo-Christian ones. :wink:
That's a good one to be familiar with if only to let Christians know that you know more about their stories than they do. :twisted:
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I like reading about classical mythology, but honestly, I prefer to see how modern authors write these myths (and new ones) into new pieces of fiction. Mythology is important, but I think its more important as a source for modern story telling then it is as a method of transferring culture and values from one generation to another.

Although....I do enjoys my Aesop for just that reason.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Eyes High
Momma Eyes

Post by Eyes High »

I think one reason why I was so drawn to the Norse Myths was because they seemed more exciting than those we scanned over in school. I use to try to check out ever book the library had on other mythology, which were not very many.
I shall lift up my eyes unto the glory of the Lord.

Safety's just danger out of place.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Anyone else remember a cartoon series about Thor, doing a kind of Superman/Clark Kent thang (IIRC) in the modern world? Can't remember the title, but I remember watching it as a kid.
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Anyone else remember a cartoon series about Thor, doing a kind of Superman/Clark Kent thang (IIRC) in the modern world? Can't remember the title, but I remember watching it as a kid.
Thor had a human alter-ego in the Marvel comic. Maybe it was based on that? I don't remember a cartoon program though.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

That's him, so it was an animated version of the comic.

Googling "Thor TV cartoon" turns up two YouTube links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q631uZ6DQzg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgbsV6aTHts

Appears it was from 1966.

OOOOOOLD! :P

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Appears it was from 1966.

OOOOOOLD! :P
Ah yes. I remember those days fondly, but with a bit of difficulty, as it was before I even went through oogenesis.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Har har hargitay. :roll:

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Omphalos wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Anyone else remember a cartoon series about Thor, doing a kind of Superman/Clark Kent thang (IIRC) in the modern world? Can't remember the title, but I remember watching it as a kid.
Thor had a human alter-ego in the Marvel comic. Maybe it was based on that? I don't remember a cartoon program though.
Thor acted as a superhero while maintaining the secret identity of Dr. Donald Blake, an American physician with a partially disabled leg. Blake would transform by tapping his walking stick on the ground; the cane became the magical hammer Mjolnir and Blake transformed into Thor.
Really enjoyed reading that comic :P
Neutrinos watch alert !

Return to “General Chat”