New Dark Tower book in the works

Any old topic will do, I suppose.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

New Dark Tower book in the works

Post by Omphalos »

Not sick of this series yet? Confident SK wont throw some shit on the wall to see how many fanboys snap to? Well then, its your lucky day!

https://secure.grantbooks.com/
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
SandChigger
Archivist

Re: New Dark Tower book in the works

Post by SandChigger »

I forget which one was the last I read... I think the group of characters ended up in an alternate reality after a plague had wiped out humanity?

Meh. (I didn't stop reading because I didn't like them, btw, I just got occupied with other stuff and forgot to keep up. ;) )
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

He let the story drag for years, then in a year wrote, like, three giant doorstoppers that absolutely sucked. I read two of them and decided life was too short for the "grand finale" and sold the copy I had purchased before I even cracked the spine.

And then he wrote Cell, and Under the Dome, and suddenly all was right with the world.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

God damn, but the last three sucked. And progressively, too: 5 was okay-ish; 6 flat-out sucked; and 7 was bad on a level with Kevin J. Anderson.

Combined, it was 2,000 or so pages of Stephen King administering a sloppy blow-job on himself. I sold them on eBay for pennies on the dollar and counted myself lucky.
SandRider
Judge of the Change

Post by SandRider »

the last one I read, they were on a train ... then the cowboy told some long-ass
story about his childhood, and at the end of the book, they were still on the train ....

what happened after that ?
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandRider wrote:the last one I read, they were on a train ... then the cowboy told some long-ass
story about his childhood, and at the end of the book, they were still on the train ....

what happened after that ?
That may have been 3,000 pages ago, but I think a wizard came along and they chased him. Again.

Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Yeah, the last three were not so good. By the last book, I was so numb with disappointment and detachment that scenes that were supposed to be uplifting or heart-wrenching just left me cold. And the ending was incredibly anticlimactic after six books of build-up.

I will read this new one, but not with any high hopes of it being good. I'm not at all sure why King is writing it.

HBJ
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

I've never been a fan of King's long works. I prefer his shorter writings. The restrictions placed on writing a shorter piece really show off is talent.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Robspierre wrote:I've never been a fan of King's long works. I prefer his shorter writings. The restrictions placed on writing a shorter piece really show off is talent.

Rob
You are missing out, then. The Stand is a masterpiece. Other early books are awesome.

Star Dust

Post by Star Dust »

I generally enjoyed the series very much. Yes, the later books were not as good, although I don't think they sucked, but eh. Well......ok, when he inserted himself into the story, it officially jumped the shark.

My favorite was Wizard and Glass, the "long ass story about his childhood".

I think a factor in my enjoyment of the books was that, to me, this was unexpected, off-the-rez stuff for SK. I could be wrong, but that's how it seemed to me.
DN banned: Sep 14, 2008
==================
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Star Dust wrote:Well......ok, when he inserted himself into the story, it officially jumped the shark.
Oh yea. Completely forgot about that bullshit. Was he still on crack when he wrote that part or something?

SandRider
Judge of the Change

Post by SandRider »

does this thing ever tie-in to The Talisman,
which had the exact-same set-up of flipping between
two (related) worlds ?

Return to “General Chat”