About the board

Any old topic will do, I suppose.

About the board

Postby Omphalos » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:39 pm

Im just learning how to use this board, so some things will come in time. I think I have avatars turned on, but mine isnt getting used, so I will consult with my brother and see what Im doing wrong. If you notice anything, please let me know.

As for rules around here, they are being developed as we go along. Just stick to the basics for now. No harassment, no undue swearing, nothing illegal at all, no trying to hack into the control panel, no big pics and absolutely no ads, and we should be fine. Above, all make sense in what you post, and I wont get pissed.

And really, welcome. Im glad you all are here. Feel free to spread the word and invite others, please.
Last edited by Omphalos on Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Hypatia » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:37 pm

Image
Last edited by Hypatia on Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hypatia
 

Postby Omphalos » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:56 pm

Ive got this on a list. Once you see my avatar up, you will know its good to go with yours.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Eru » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:56 pm

I think you've got your first spammer, Omph...You're a real forum now...
"We must make an Idol of our fear and call it God"

--The Seventh Sign
Eru
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:32 pm
Location: Void

Postby Omphalos » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:01 am

Hope I did that correctly. I did not know where to find the IP address to ban that, so I may have to go back when they reappear.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Phaedrus » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:19 am

What the fuck is "undue swearing?"

:wink:
User avatar
Phaedrus
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:18 am

Postby Omphalos » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:17 am

Phaedrus wrote:What the fuck is "undue swearing?"

:wink:


That's not it!
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Mandy » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:58 am

Dammit I was looking forward to the harassment!
User avatar
Mandy
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Postby Omphalos » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:51 pm

I think it can be said that most things about me are "loose," including my definition of harassment. I think that this is just the place for you, my dearie!
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby SandChigger » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:23 am

Omphalos wrote:I think it can be said that most things about me are "loose"

Dude...really sorry, but more than I needed to know. Tried more fiber? ;)
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Omphalos » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:24 pm

SandChigger wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I think it can be said that most things about me are "loose"

Dude...really sorry, but more than I needed to know. Tried more fiber? ;)


I could send you some photos if you like. :lol:
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby SandChigger » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:44 am

Was the server down for a while a few hours ago?

One minute everything was fine and then it was "network connection lost". The reviews site, blog, this board...nothing came up. (And it wasn't the office connection, either, because everything came up normally.)

It was a lonely feeling. :(


(Btw, you edited in the bug-eyes cat above, didn't you, Omph. You bad. :lol:)
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Mr. Teg » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:51 am

SandChigger wrote:Was the server down for a while a few hours ago?

One minute everything was fine and then it was "network connection lost". The reviews site, blog, this board...nothing came up. (And it wasn't the office connection, either, because everything came up normally.)

It was a lonely feeling. :(


(Btw, you edited in the bug-eyes cat above, didn't you, Omph. You bad. :lol:)


Here, too.
Narf!
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile
User avatar
Mr. Teg
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:21 am

Postby Omphalos » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:37 am

Me too. I think that is what happened. Raggy can fill us in.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby GamePlayer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:54 am

Hope it's not serious. I was suffering from withdrawal after I got that error message :)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Postby Omphalos » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:43 am

The servers that we use are in San Francisco, and are pretty reliable. If they went all flooey last night (and yes, I hear that is a valid programming term), then it will only be the second time in six or so years. And even so, none of my or Raggy's sites have ever lost any data. But fret not, if something bad should happen, I have asked Raggy to back this board up nightly, and it can be ported elsewhere. Just be sure that your e-mail link in your profile is up-to-date and if we ever have to move, I will send out a mass e-mail when we are up and running again.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Omphalos » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:47 am

SandChigger wrote:(Btw, you edited in the bug-eyes cat above, didn't you, Omph. You bad. :lol:)


Hey, I just thought it deserved the light of day! And it is such a pweddy puddy, no?
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby SandChigger » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:56 pm

Something I should have checked on before posting:

I mentioned "Omphalos' BBS" over on Arrakeen when I reposted Freak's Mars thing...was that a mistake? If so, I'll go edit it.

Also, I've been wondering if it would be OK to put a link here from my blog?

(I figure since the spammers have found you, there must be an open link here somewhere. I forget if there is one in the Links section of your review site...???)
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Omphalos » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:18 pm

SandChigger wrote:Something I should have checked on before posting:

I mentioned "Omphalos' BBS" over on Arrakeen when I reposted Freak's Mars thing...was that a mistake? If so, I'll go edit it.


Not at all. We are not a secret. but I will continue to be picky about who gets on. Just be sure to drop me a note if you want me to approve someone I dont know. I have no problem with friends of friends coming to the party.

SandChigger wrote:Also, I've been wondering if it would be OK to put a link here from my blog?

(I figure since the spammers have found you, there must be an open link here somewhere. I forget if there is one in the Links section of your review site...???)


Sure. We will be adding a sign-on screen that (hopefully) defies OCR, so those slimey fucking spammers may die down soon. I think I link to here on my blog and the book review site, so that was probalby how they found me.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: About the board

Postby Omphalos » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:58 am

Hi all,

I have been doing a great deal of learnin' 'bout phpbb3 lately. It actually is radically different than phpbb2 is, especially in how fourms are created.

two new things that we can have are link-only threads, and sub-forums. I'm a little ambivalent about both; I think that link-threads (where you click on a thread title and are taken to a new website) take up too much space on the main board, and sub-forums make things too confusing. I am about to add some new forums for Askaris de Dar to start putting up some of his archiving and bibliography work, and because of the way he has that stuff structured, I anticipate that those forums will have subforum threads. But I wanted to ask how the rest of you felt about subforums on the rest of the board.

My opinion is that we can navigate pretty easily with what we have. But Im open to alternative thoughts.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: About the board

Postby Rakis » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:06 am

Yeah, i'm good the way things are...I remember sub-forums at Arrakeen and it was a pain in the ass... :naughty:
Neutrinos watch alert !

Image
User avatar
Rakis
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: About the board

Postby Mandy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:14 am

I don't really care for subforums.. or a lot of forums. There are already a lot of underutilized forums here, hope you consider getting rid of a few of them, not deleting the content, just merging them with other forums.
Reductio ad Hypatiam
User avatar
Mandy
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Re: About the board

Postby Omphalos » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:35 am

Mandy wrote:I don't really care for subforums.. or a lot of forums. There are already a lot of underutilized forums here, hope you consider getting rid of a few of them, not deleting the content, just merging them with other forums.


I am, actually. I'm considering moving all of Freak's reviews off the main page, since he has them over at Jacurutu, and, I hope, he followed my advice to back them up on his hard drive and/or on a flash drive.

As for the other threads in The Largely Undeleted section, I have been thinking about how to consolidate them too. Not exactly sure how I would do that though, as most of the threads themselves are pretty different. I guess I could move the content of Basic Board Stuff into General Chat. Ill start with that. Maybe Genre Books too.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: About the board

Postby GamePlayer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:45 am

The boards could use trimming. As others have said, we've got many dead forums already. Other than that, no complaints.

You could also try a sub-forum in one of the more popular forums (Ghafla) and pick a regular thread that keeps coming up. "Random Crap" might make for a good test of the sub-forum feature.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: About the board

Postby Omphalos » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:59 am

GamePlayer wrote:The boards could use trimming. As others have said, we've got many dead forums already. Other than that, no complaints.
3

do you mean consolidate the number of forums, move dead topics to the archives, or both?

(Ghafla)


I'll be sure to do that over at Jacurutu, where that forum is. :wink:
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: About the board

Postby Omphalos » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:42 pm

OK. I have moved Freakzilla's book discussions to the Archives section and set it up as forum with subforums. I think that they are locked (the intention was always to have them as archives only copies) but take a look and see what you think.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: About the board

Postby Omphalos » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:44 pm

For those of you who do not like the cluttered look of the board (and I think it will change some more here), try using this URL as a link when you come in:

viewforum.php?f=40

That is to The Largely Undeleted only, without the other forums. You can still see if anything is going on by clicking on the links to the entire board at the bottom or top of the page, or by clicking on "View new posts."
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: About the board

Postby SandChigger » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:34 am

You know, I never get what all the bitching and moaning is about. About the only time I look at the front/index pages is when I log in and if I'm looking for a particular thread or just browsing around looking at older stuff. Otherwise I navigate using the new posts or search functions. So I'm not bothered one way or the other. ;)
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Re: About the board

Postby The Phantom » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:29 am

SandChigger wrote:You know, I never get what all the bitching and moaning is about. About the only time I look at the front/index pages is when I log in and if I'm looking for a particular thread or just browsing around looking at older stuff. Otherwise I navigate using the new posts or search functions. So I'm not bothered one way or the other. ;)

same my bookmark takes me right to the new posts page so the number of forums doesnt bother me at all
I am not my own.
User avatar
The Phantom
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:06 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: About the board

Postby Mandy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:51 pm

I always start on the main index page on all the forums I go to. Most of them are a lot busier than this one though, lots of stuff I'm not interested in reading.
Reductio ad Hypatiam
User avatar
Mandy
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Re: About the board

Postby Omphalos » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:22 pm

Ive had a bunch of non-spammy people register lately, but I have not known any of them so I deleted them all. One of them was called "Susanspy," which I thought was kind of funny because Hyppo's real name is Sue. But if anyone has an OH friend they can vouch for, I will be OK approving them. Just let me know, otherwise I probably wont.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: About the board

Postby The Phantom » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:23 pm

Omphalos wrote:Ive had a bunch of non-spammy people register lately, but I have not known any of them so I deleted them all. One of them was called "Susanspy," which I thought was kind of funny because Hyppo's real name is Sue. But if anyone has an OH friend they can vouch for, I will be OK approving them. Just let me know, otherwise I probably wont.

I think indyman should be let in here so he can post some stuff in the secret clubhouse from the " KJA's special retards" site
I am not my own.
User avatar
The Phantom
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:06 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: About the board

Postby Omphalos » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:35 pm

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Ive had a bunch of non-spammy people register lately, but I have not known any of them so I deleted them all. One of them was called "Susanspy," which I thought was kind of funny because Hyppo's real name is Sue. But if anyone has an OH friend they can vouch for, I will be OK approving them. Just let me know, otherwise I probably wont.

I think indyman should be let in here so he can post some stuff in the secret clubhouse from the " KJA's special retards" site


Where is Indyman from? I dont know him at all. I pretty much stay here these days and don't venture out any longer. I guess he is an OH? I ask because I already nuked him once, but if he is OH, that's cool with me.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: About the board

Postby The Phantom » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:34 pm

Omphalos wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Ive had a bunch of non-spammy people register lately, but I have not known any of them so I deleted them all. One of them was called "Susanspy," which I thought was kind of funny because Hyppo's real name is Sue. But if anyone has an OH friend they can vouch for, I will be OK approving them. Just let me know, otherwise I probably wont.

I think indyman should be let in here so he can post some stuff in the secret clubhouse from the " KJA's special retards" site


Where is Indyman from? I dont know him at all. I pretty much stay here these days and don't venture out any longer. I guess he is an OH? I ask because I already nuked him once, but if he is OH, that's cool with me.


he's on jacurutu. i told him to join here... i'll tell him to re-try
I am not my own.
User avatar
The Phantom
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:06 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: About the board

Postby SandChigger » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:34 pm

I think some of Askaris' friends were going to join up, too. Maybe we should get him to send you a list. (I'm pretty sure "ionah" is one of them.)
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Re: About the board

Postby Omphalos » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:36 pm

SandChigger wrote:I think some of Askaris' friends were going to join up, too. Maybe we should get him to send you a list. (I'm pretty sure "ionah" is one of them.)


Askaris knows to clue me in when one of the French cabal wants to join. That's how Ionah joined successfully.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: About the board

Postby ionah » Sun May 10, 2009 9:08 am


do not shout it too loud, but yes indeed, i am a "friend of Askaris" ... :mrgreen:







:animals-dogrun: btw, i love your smiley's collection ...
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
ionah
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:13 am
Location: beyond the next dune

Re: About the board

Postby ᴶᵛᵀᴬ » Sun May 10, 2009 11:48 am

Welcome my friend ! :D More froggies soon !!! :animals-frog: :animals-frog: :animals-frog:
:animals-frog: :animals-frog: :animals-frog: :animals-frog: :animals-frog: :animals-frog:
:animals-frog: :animals-frog: :animals-frog: :animals-frog: :animals-frog: :animals-frog:


    Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
    ۞ Shaihuludata gigantica Gratia, Fidei defensor ۞


      ᴶᵛᵀᴬ
      Joseph-Vintimille Tariki Askaris
       
      Posts: 472
      Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:25 am
      Location: Jacurutu Ф TΛU Ф MdC

      Re: About the board

      Postby Rakis » Mon May 11, 2009 6:46 am

      It's an invasion, i tell ya !!! :lol:
      Neutrinos watch alert !

      Image
      User avatar
      Rakis
       
      Posts: 450
      Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:07 pm
      Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

      Re: About the board

      Postby SandRider » Thu May 14, 2009 7:00 pm

      ionah wrote:
      do not shout it too loud, but yes indeed, i am a "friend of Askaris" ... :mrgreen:








      Welcome. Your Water is Ours.
      User avatar
      SandRider
      Judge of the Change
       
      Posts: 781
      Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm
      Location: on the worm


      Return to General Chat

      Who is online

      Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

      cron