Wastelands, edited by John Joseph Adams

Links to the book review pages
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Wastelands, edited by John Joseph Adams

Post by Omphalos »

I don't think that John Joseph Adams is new to SF, but he has been a pretty active editor of anthologies (and the MoF&SF) lately. I see that he has a zombie anthology out too. I think I need to get that one, because if its anything like this one, it will be worth the effort. This anthology is about...you guessed it, The End Of The World, in fifteen to twenty different flavors. Adams has an eye for the more esoteric apocalypse stories, and seems to stay away from straight destruction, doom and gloom. Many of these stories are strong, particularly The People of Sand and Slag, When Sysadmins Ruled the Earth, Artie's Angels, Inertia, Speech Sounds, and The End of the World As We Know It, because they had strong characters, deeply intricate plots, were skilfully written and made excellent use of other tropes. Fuller descriptions are below. I do personally think that a few stinkers found their way in, but if you tend towards the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction way of doing things, or if you like the weirder stories, then this may be your cup of tea all around. As a side note, I think that this book may have the coolest cover of anything published in...Please click here, or on the book cover above, to be taken to the complete review..
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page

Return to “Book Reviews”