[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
THE (ALMOST) UNDELETED • View topic - Jerry Was a Man, by Robert Heinlein

Jerry Was a Man, by Robert Heinlein

Links to the book review pages

Jerry Was a Man, by Robert Heinlein

Postby Omphalos » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:29 pm

Sorry, no photo yet for this one. I can't seem to find a cover .jpg of the October, 1947 issue of Thrilling Wonder Stories.

Just as well. I have two links for this story. Here is a link to a literary review, and Here is a link to a legal review, which is appropriate as this story is essentially a court room drama.

Jerry Was a Man (alternatively Jerry Is a Man), is a 1947 short story by Robert Heinlein. It is a courtroom drama about slavery, mistreatment and prejudice, and what it means to be a "man," though what Heinlein really meant by that term was "non-animal." It is a pretty well thought out story, but it is not really long enough to draw any heavy conclusions from. Take a look here to see the latest Law and Science Fiction Blawg entry on this story. In this article I shall discuss its literary merits only.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Return to Book Reviews