Darkness & The Light, by Olaf Stapledon

Links to the book review pages
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Darkness & The Light, by Olaf Stapledon

Post by Omphalos »

Darkness and The Light is another one of Olaf Stapledon's excellent speculative commentaries on the future of mankind. Like his masterpiece novel Last and First Men this story is also told from the perspective of a human being situated in the far future, but in this book that far future person is for some unknown reason remembering two different pasts. Told concisely and by an author much wiser, older and content than the man who wrote Last and First Men, this book is much easier to read and I think is much more rewarding. It is also every bit as full of ideas as Stapledon's other masterpiece novels, but in this novel Stapledon went quite a bit further in examining the properties and effects on society of those ideas...Please click here, or on the book cover above, to be taken to the complete review..
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

That reminds me, I really really need to read Last and First Men sometime this year. It's been sitting on my shelf forever, it seems like.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

That one is incredible. Id like to find an autobiography by van Vogt and see if he credits Stapledon as an influence or anything.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page

Return to “Book Reviews”