Monster Trilogy, by David Wellington (three zombie novels)

Links to the book review pages
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Monster Trilogy, by David Wellington (three zombie novels)

Post by Omphalos »

ImageImage

By now even those of you who only vaguely pay attention to me should know at least that I like zombie stories, although to be perfectly honest I think its best stated by mentioning that I have a debilitating weakness for zombie lore. I just cannot pass the stuff up in the store, so I have a big shelf of DVD's and movies way up high, so my young'uns do not find them and get completely freaked out. Now, I may be a complete sucker for any zombie story, and I may own everything that is available out there, but I do have a critical eye towards the stuff. In other words, I will happily tell you what is junk and what is not. In the subgenre of zombie tales, there is a lot of junk out there. For a long time there were a lot of movies and books published that did nothing but deliver a copy of what came before, only grosser. But since the 1990's there has been a huge upswing in interest in these kinds of stories, and some bigger brains with fresher ideas have taken a crack at adding something to our collective zombie myth. Movies like 28 Days Later and books like World War Z have remade the zombie tale from an exercise in disgust to a metaphor for the common man and the pathetic nature of our actual everyday existence. I have no real idea why this was done, though I suspect that like much of the madness that has plagued our society since the early 1990's it had something to do with the approach of the year 2000 and our ingrained fear of that number as a final one. Actually, I think that is generally why we have seen such an upswing in interest in apocalypse stories of all types recently. But zombie apocalypse stories have one integral attribute that other apocalypse stories do not. In, for instance, a nuclear war story there may be a post apocalypse side of the tale where the author tells you what happens to survivors, but zombie stories do one better than that. In addition to giving a good survivor story, a good zombie tale tells you something about life after death too. Granted, it’s usually a story straight out of the ninth circle of Hell, but like it or not, that element is always there, even if it is just a tickle in the back of your mind...Please click here, or on the book cover above, to be taken to the complete review..
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Some one did a study that showed when Republicans were charge more zombie movies and represented the lower classes coming ot steal ones hard earned capital while when Democrats were in charge more vampire movies were made and represented the elite sucking the wealth of the nation away from the people or some such.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Robspierre wrote:Some one did a study that showed when Republicans were charge more zombie movies and represented the lower classes coming ot steal ones hard earned capital while when Democrats were in charge more vampire movies were made and represented the elite sucking the wealth of the nation away from the people or some such.

Rob
:lol:

We must stop this bi-partisan bickering between Vampires and Zombies and learn to work together!
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

We must debrain these zombies in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are haaaaad!
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page

Return to “Book Reviews”