The Third Craft, by James T. Harris

Links to the book review pages
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

The Third Craft, by James T. Harris

Post by Omphalos »

The title kind of makes it should like it could be a book about magic, doesn't it? It isn't. It’s a UFO story, and it’s pretty rough around the edges. And the center. And the end. This story is essentially one tried-and-died cliché and coincidence after another. It is the story of an alien war moved to Earth and waged by three or four of the sole remaining citizens of a long gone planet, oddly called "Old Earth," and the story of the humans who are struggling to learn what the conflict is all about. Two out of five stars, though I note that this is the first effort by a new author.

The Third Craft could qualify as a YA novel, if it were more about coming-of-age, and more closely related to the different experiences of the young. I say that because there is a sophisticated simplicity about text, but I have a hard time calling it a YA novel for these reasons...Please click here or on the book cover above to be taken to the rest of the review.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Why am I hearing Dido?

I just skimmed your review, 'cause I started getting this Roswell vibe. I don't know, something about stupid Earth bints hankerin' after not very good-looking or even particularly hung aliens...just doesn't do it for me. ;)

(Which would you rather be, well hanged or well hung? :lol: Sorry...read a weird article on language change this morning and the lady what wrote it seemed particularly hung up on the difference between the two....)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I heard a blurb from George Asshole Bush yesterday. They were putting up his presidential portrait, and GAB welcomed everyone to his "hanging." I couldn't tell if he was joking or not, but it seems like the kind of thing where someone could later say he meant it jokingly, even if he was serious.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

I saw that, too. I think he was definitely going for the laugh, which he got.

I wish he'd just disappear already....
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

What do you mean by "Dido," Chig?

Now I have to go and forward this to the publisher. I hate it when I get books to review on spec that I wind up not liking.

tanzeelat

Post by tanzeelat »

From your review: "...an almost palpable enthusiasm for this story."

Is that legal in the US?
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Depends on what yer palpin', good buddy. :lol:

Over here at least, they used Dido's "Here With Me" as the theme song for Roswell:

oh i am what i am
i'll do what i want but i can't hide
i won't go i won't sleep
i can't breathe until you're resting here with me
i won't leave i can't hide
i cannot be until you're resting here with me

i don't want to call my friends
they might wake me from this dream
and i can't leave this bed,
risk forgetting all that's been

oh i am what i am
i'll do what i want,
but i can't hide
i won't go, i won't sleep,
i can't breathe,
until you're resting here with me
i won't leave, i can't hide,

I've quite liked her since EMINEM wrote one of his songs with copious borrowing/insertion of one of hers. Understand she's got a new album out or coming; first in five years or so. ;)

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

tanzeelat wrote:From your review: "...an almost palpable enthusiasm for this story."

Is that legal in the US?
Go ahead and just try to stop us. Palpable enthusiasm makes the world go round! But I am glad Im not the one who had to handle the original manuscript.
Last edited by Omphalos on Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Depends on what yer palpin', good buddy. :lol:

Over here at least, they used Dido's "Here With Me" as the theme song for Roswell:

oh i am what i am
i'll do what i want but i can't hide
i won't go i won't sleep
i can't breathe until you're resting here with me
i won't leave i can't hide

i don't want to call my friends
they might wake me from this dream
and i can't leave this bed,
risk forgetting all that's been

oh i am what i am
i'll do what i want,
but i can't hide
i won't go, i won't sleep,
i can't breathe,
until you're resting here with me
i won't leave, i can't hide,

I've quite liked her since EMINEM wrote one of his songs with copious borrowing/insertion of one of hers. Understand she's got a new album out or coming; first in five years or so. ;)
I like her too. I could not stand that damn M&M thing though. I found her when I rented a car in Scotland. Someone had left a tape in the player with a song or two of hers on it. Good music for driving across foggy single-tracks.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Omphalos wrote:I could not stand that damn M&M thing though.
Allow me to reemphasize: I quite like her. I had to google how to spell his name. ;)

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I could not stand that damn M&M thing though.
Allow me to reemphasize: I quite like her. I had to google how to spell his name. ;)
I got you. I was just being irreverent towards the interloper, M&M. Her music is pretty cool, and you got interested in it through that piece by him.

Return to “Book Reviews”