From Hell, by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell

Links to the book review pages
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

From Hell, by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell

Post by Omphalos »

One thing that I dislike about myself, but I know that I will probably never change, is that I am a literary snob. Generally I know what I like and if a particular work does not fit within those boundaries, I won’t even give it a chance. Mind you now, that does not come purely from a sense of superiority. I had my time with mainstream novels, and I’ve read many of the classics. So I tell myself that I’ve "been there, done that" before. But that still means that these days, I view the literary world and its output with some pretty narrow lenses. One of the subgenres that suffer the most from my judgmental gaze is the graphic arts, particularly graphic novels. I certainly had my time with comic books. At one point in time I had boxes and boxes of the things in a collection that took me years to put together. Nowadays though, I could pretty much care less about superheroes, with exceptions for some of the movies such as Iron Man. But lately I have been branching out a bit and trying some of the nonsuperhero comics. You will find several new reviews here if you look. This week's review is of Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell's From Hell, a very literary and highly informed, and extremely bloody take on Jack the Ripper....Please click here, or on the book cover above, to be taken to the complete review..
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Saw the movie with Depp in 2001. Very nice. Ian Holm is creppy as Hell...
Neutrinos watch alert !

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I saw that movie once. Or rather, I let it play in the background while I was doing something else. I dont remember it being like the book at all.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Can't say I was a fan of the movie at all.
Never read the graphic novel, but since I've read three of Alan Moore's stories and have liked all of them (Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Batman The Killing Joke) there's a strong likelihood I'd enjoy this one :)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

I saw the movie; I don't really know why, I must have been bored one weekend. Or maybe I just like Depp. But I'm not that big on Jack the Ripper stories. I fail to see why people are so fascinated by it, and it's been done to death.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles

Return to “Book Reviews”