First PoD Review!

Links to the book review pages
Nekhrun
Archivist

First PoD Review!

Post by Nekhrun »

It's more of a book summary, until the last couple lines that is!

Byron posted this on DN.

Reads better than Dune: Messiah!
Star Dust

Post by Star Dust »

oh dear sweet baby jesus, fuck me now.
DN banned: Sep 14, 2008
==================
Rakis

Re: First PoD Review!

Post by Rakis »

Nekhrun wrote:It's more of a book summary, until the last couple lines that is!

Byron posted this on DN.

Reads better than Dune: Messiah!
I'm sure it reads better : it's so light and without all that thinking you have to do while you read... :roll:
Neutrinos watch alert !

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Could you repost it here for those of us who don't feel like trying to get around Byron's petty little blocking of our IP addresses? TYIA! :)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

In its unedited glory...
boardadmin wrote:Advanced Review – Uncorrected Proof

Issue: August 1, 2008

Paul of Dune.
Herbert, Brian (Author) and Anderson, Kevin J. (Author)
Sep 2008. 512 p. Tor, hardcover, $27.95. (9780765312945).
This vital link between the first two books of the Dune saga begins immediately after the close of Dune
(1965), well before the events of Dune: Messiah (1970), and incorporates material from Paul Muad-dib’s
growing up on Caladan. After the battle of Arrakis, Paul the emperor, as he has become, knows the
slaughter is just beginning. He has exiled the former emperor and made a marriage of state with the
imperial princess Irulan. But his predecessor had enemies who aren’t going to love Paul just because he
deposed their old adversary, and Paul has many more enemies, known and unknown. If he is to be a better
ruler than the one he displaced, the planetary ruling houses must accept him—at the point of a weapon, if
necessary. Remembering that his father was known as Duke Leto the Just, Paul tries to be an Atreides
diplomat when reconstituting the Imperium. But between the feuds of the ruling houses, the needs of the
Fremen, and his prescience, Paul has little time for himself, and may be losing his sanity. This is good
reading, better than Dune: Messiah, actually. Standing well enough on its own for Dune novices, it goes
without saying that it’s must reading for established fans.

— Frieda Murray
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

that is really quite poor writing. :P

who is this booklist? I looked em up, but needed to register to go further than the search page
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Thanks, Phaedrus.

Ah, Frieda Murray...I think I recognize that name from one of the Amazon reposts of "professional" editorial reviews. Hang on...

Got it: from the full page view of Editorial Reviews for Sadworms:
From Booklist

By the time of this second volume of the third Dune prequel trilogy, battles and plagues have nearly destroyed humans and their planets. Sheanna revives the ghola cloning project to pit genius against numbers. Almost all the saga principals have been re-created—Paul, Jessica, Letos I and II, Chani, Stilgar, even Wellington Yueh and Baron Harkonnen—and are hiding on the no-ship. The eleventh ghola of Duncan Idaho keeps an eye on things. Naturally, such a crew generates intrigue, dissension, and many actions unintentionally at cross-purposes. Some of the re-creations learn from the past, some don't. Meanwhile, Omnius and Erasmus, leaders of the thinking machines, search for the no-ship; failing to find it, they finish the destruction of any planet capable of supporting human life. When the clones and the thinking machines finally confront each other, the conflict proves pretty gripping. Its plot derived from Frank Herbert's notes, Sandworms should fascinate Dune fans. The series' long run by now begs the question of whether, since Sandworms ties up so many loose ends, more of what has been learned about the construction and destruction of ecologies, and about thinking machines, in the 42 years since Dune was first published couldn't figure in the promised ninth prequel volume, Paul of Dune. Murray, Frieda
There's an author named Frieda Murray out there as well; not sure if it's the same bint.

Anyway...

So, how did Byron get ahold of an uncorrected proof of an advance review? She send it to them or did TOR pass it along? It's actually rather rude, don't you think, of him to post HER review before it's corrected and polished (please, gawds, let her correct and polish it :roll: )?

OK...let's digest! :twisted:

"This vital link...." Any doubts that Frieda is not a shill just "did the Alia". Whoosh...splat.

"...incorporates material from Paul Muad-dib’s growing up on Caladan." Um...it's "Muad'Dib", dolt. But she'll catch that in the proof/rewrite, right? Paul's "growing up on Caladan"? Oh, that's right...because HE WASN'T BORN THERE. That's really vital stuff, I'm sure. And how much of this "material" was actually imagined or written by FH?

"But his predecessor had enemies who aren’t going to love Paul just because he deposed their old adversary, and Paul has many more enemies, known and unknown."

Let's see...who were Shaddam's adversaries again? And Paul's "unknown" enemies...ah, they have no doubt let their fecund (fecal?) little imaginations run amok again. Wonnerful! :)

"If he is to be a better ruler than the one he displaced...." Yeah, that was one of Paul's motivations. I remember that.

"Remembering that his father was known as Duke Leto the Just, Paul tries to be an Atreides diplomat when reconstituting the Imperium." PURE BULLSHIT ALERT???

"But between the feuds of the ruling houses, the needs of the Fremen, and his prescience, Paul has little time for himself, and may be losing his sanity." Kewl! Very late 20th century/early 21st century psychodrama BULLSHIT incorporated into the story! How relevant to our times! They've really got their fingers on the pulse! :roll:

"This is good reading...." OK, Frieda is either blind or can't read. Either way, she obviously knows shit. (How do these reviewers get their jobs? Recommendations from Harriet Klausner?)

"...better than Dune: Messiah, actually." Further proof of the proceeding. ANY Frank Herbert book is better than anything the Hacks Twain have EVER EVEN DREAMT OF WRITING. Period.

"Standing well enough on its own for Dune novices...." Whom we want to catch before they can read any REAL DUNE BY FRANK HERBERT? What the fuck is this supposed to mean? WHAT COMPLETE IDIOT would start with this book as their introduction to Dune? What a fucking stupid thing for a so-called reviewer to write.

"...it goes without saying that it’s must reading for established fans." Which Frieda obviously ISN'T.

WAY TO GO, BYRON! (AND KEVIN AND BRIAN!) A REVIEW BY AN OBVOUS SHILL MEANS SOOOO MUCH! :roll:
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

Sorry I didn't have time to correct the formatting of the original post on DN. Byron just slapped a bunch of shit up there and it looked pretty ugly. Thanks Phaedrus.

If the unedited version is better than Messiah, I'll bet the edited version ends up being the best of the series!
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Pure, unadulterated slig shit. Byron should be beaten severely for even posting such tripe.

Its better than Messiah!! Awesome. A lot of people didn't like Messiah you know. Byron has pointed that out about a billion fucking times.

Brace yourself gentlemen, its about to slide right on in.......
Star Dust

Post by Star Dust »

Isn't this reviewer-woman person the same one who has [allegedly] written
like 30k plus book reviews?
DN banned: Sep 14, 2008
==================
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I feel a little sick. Seriously.
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Star Dust wrote:Isn't this reviewer-woman person the same one who has [allegedly] written
like 30k plus book reviews?
That is Harriet Klausner, not this one.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

I asked at DN if Frieda Murray is a member of the HLP. :P
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
orald

Post by orald »

A Dirty, Dirty Powindah wrote:better than Dune: Messiah
Death.
"Brian! Brian! Brian!" goes the refrain. "A million deaths were not enough for Brian!"

I'm awake! God help me, I'm awake!
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Don't bother, the effort and the result would be wasted on her.

For some, a continuation of life in their current state of stupidity is a far worse punishment than death. :wink:

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Oh yes, Paul of Dune is a triumph! Praise it! Lavish it with attention! Market the book as though the very lives of consumers depend upon it's purchase! Oh my publishing vultures, how thee have learned well from thy Hollywood, from thy MTV, from thine beer advert! :)

Better than Dune? NO! Better than sex!
Better than an open bar, a menage-a-trois with your two favorite Hollywood flavors-of-the-month all while a snuff film plays in the background featuring the deaths of all your most hated public figures, celebrities and Tom Cruise!

Yes, my vitriolic HLP, why not promise the world? After all, who is going to stop you? It's not like the critical establishment is doing anything about it. The peer review magazines and award organizations all have vested financial interests in giving Paul of Dune a passing grade.

Mediocrity is the new excellence!
All hail the new flesh!
:)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Kevin has of course posted the same "review" over on his MySpace blog...so it'll be appearing on DN as soon as Uncle Mike can get it up.

Text is identical to what Byron posted...so again I ask, why are they posting this "uncorrected proof"?

They're so desperate to portray this stinker as a good thing that they'll grab any positive review, no matter who it's by. :roll:

(I wonder if it still smarts that The New York Times didn't even bother to review Sadworms last year? :lol: )

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

GamePlayer wrote:Oh yes, Paul of Dune is a triumph! Praise it! Lavish it with attention! Market the book as though the very lives of consumers depend upon it's purchase! Oh my publishing vultures, how thee have learned well from thy Hollywood, from thy MTV, from thine beer advert! :)

Better than Dune? NO! Better than sex!
Better than an open bar, a menage-a-trois with your two favorite Hollywood flavors-of-the-month all while a snuff film plays in the background featuring the deaths of all your most hated public figures, celebrities and Tom Cruise!

Yes, my vitriolic HLP, why not promise the world? After all, who is going to stop you? It's not like the critical establishment is doing anything about it. The peer review magazines and award organizations all have vested financial interests in giving Paul of Dune a passing grade.

Mediocrity is the new excellence!
All hail the new flesh!
:)
........and relax :) remember it's all just ride.
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

-Rimmer’s farewell speech
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

How can we relax? Haven't you heard a new Dune book is coming? Our lives now have meaning again! The adverts have told me so :) :lol:
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

^^^ He speaks the Truth, go tell it from the mountain brother!! :)
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

-Rimmer’s farewell speech
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Mastah B has pointed out in a comment on my blog that this is probably the first time the HLP has endorsed a review claiming that one of the new books is better than one of the originals written by Frank.

We should have expected this kind of shit eventually from Kevin, but to have it posted first by Byron, Frank's own grandson, is pretty damned sad.

I noticed earlier that Freak had changed PhantomAss's user category to "Mascot" over on Jacurutu. Think he could be convinced to change Spice Grandson's to "Judas"?

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:Think he could be convinced to change Spice Grandson's to "Judas"?
I'd have to get the fires of my hate stoked up a quite a bit before doing that.

I think I might say something about this at DN though...

~Leto II, God Emperor
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Freakzilla wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Think he could be convinced to change Spice Grandson's to "Judas"?
I'd have to get the fires of my hate stoked up a quite a bit before doing that.

I think I might say something about this at DN though...
Remember to link to it!

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Robspierre wrote:Remember to link to it!

Rob
Freakzilla wrote:

Issue: August 1, 2008

Paul of Dune.
Herbert, Brian (Author) and Anderson, Kevin J. (Author)
Sep 2008. 512 p. Tor, hardcover, $27.95. (9780765312945).
This vital link between the first two books of the Dune saga begins immediately after the close of Dune
(1965), well before the events of Dune: Messiah (1970), and incorporates material from Paul Muad-dib’s
growing up on Caladan. After the battle of Arrakis, Paul the emperor, as he has become, knows the
slaughter is just beginning. He has exiled the former emperor and made a marriage of state with the
imperial princess Irulan. But his predecessor had enemies who aren’t going to love Paul just because he
deposed their old adversary, and Paul has many more enemies, known and unknown. If he is to be a better
ruler than the one he displaced, the planetary ruling houses must accept him—at the point of a weapon, if
necessary. Remembering that his father was known as Duke Leto the Just, Paul tries to be an Atreides
diplomat when reconstituting the Imperium. But between the feuds of the ruling houses, the needs of the
Fremen, and his prescience, Paul has little time for himself, and may be losing his sanity. This is good
reading, better than Dune: Messiah, actually. Standing well enough on its own for Dune novices, it goes
without saying that it’s must reading for established fans.

— Frieda Murray
Since the HLP is endorsing this review by posting it here, is it the official stance of the HLP that Paul of Dune is better than Dune Messiah?

BTW, you might want to tell Frieda that there is no ":" in the title of Dune Messiah.
http://www.dunenovels.com/phpBB2/viewto ... 9925#59925

~Leto II, God Emperor
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Freakzilla wrote:
Since the HLP is endorsing this review by posting it here, is it the official stance of the HLP that Paul of Dune is better than Dune Messiah?

BTW, you might want to tell Frieda that there is no ":" in the title of Dune Messiah.
also mention the "Muad-dib" blunder...

Return to “Book Reviews”