Parable of the Talents, by Octavia Butler

Links to the book review pages
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Parable of the Talents, by Octavia Butler

Post by Omphalos »

Sometimes I really wonder how Octavia Butler, God rest her talented soul, managed to keep my attention for as long as she did. I think I have read all but three of her books, and the only short story by her that I have not read is the one that is still tied up with Harlan Ellison's Last Dangerous Visions, which probably is not going to see the light of day until he passes and someone finishes and publishes that work of his. I ask this rhetorical question because Butler, in the four multi-volume stories she started in her life, really never deviated from her favorite themes. Again and again, recycled from story to story, Butler used the themes of the dystopic society, the superman myth, love, coming of age, slavery, reproduction and mating, war and mayhem, and community building to great use, without ever getting boring, or repetitive, or preachy, or even overdone. I have to believe that it is because she felt her stories in her bones. What that says about...Please click here or on the cover above to be taken to the review.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page

Return to “Book Reviews”