A Case of Conscience, by James Blish

Links to the book review pages
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

A Case of Conscience, by James Blish

Post by Omphalos »

I love SF so much, that I actually get depressed when I fail to see what all the hype is about a certain book, especially one that is generally regarded as a classic. I am always afraid that I am missing something important. That idea bothers me. I am just that kind of person. This week's book, James Blish's A Case of Conscience is generally regarded as a masterpiece of the genre, but I only half liked it. As is happens, I loved the first book, but hated the second. The second I found so confusing that I honestly do wonder if I misinterpreted some important passage or something. I can see what the story is; its not that the plot is confusing. But I fail utterly to see how any one can say that the story he told best accomplishes the thematic resolution in the way that he wanted, and since that is what these reviews are about, I have to mark him down a bit. This book is so important to SF scholars that someday I’m sure.....Please click here or on the cover above to be taken to the review.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page

Return to “Book Reviews”