The Road, by Cormac McCarthy

Links to the book review pages
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

The Road, by Cormac McCarthy

Post by Omphalos »

I think I have seen a few of you talking about this book lately. This is one of my first reviews, and it shows, but if you all want to talk about this one, I'm up for that! Ive rewritten it a bit to try to remove the suck, but I haven't read it for over a year, so I was reluctant to play around too much with it.

I have a real love/hate relationship with literary award winning works and authors. For the most part I don't see what is so special about many of the works that have won, including SF works that win various genre specific awards such as the Hugo, Nebula, James Tiptree, PKD, etc. The winners of the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction are no exception. Don't get me wrong though; some of them are great, but some are average, in my opinion, and some of them are absolute trash. This year's winner for the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, however, is...get this...a genre novel! Cormac McCarthy's The Road is a post apocalyptic novel that.....Please click here or on the book cover above to be taken to the review
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Omph, I read The Road on father's day which really made the father-son relationship stand out.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

What did you think of the book overall? Personally, I can hardly wait for the movie.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Omphalos wrote:What did you think of the book overall? Personally, I can hardly wait for the movie.
I loved it. Unlike some authors where how the world ended up as it did would be the big idea McCarthy instead focused on two peoples relationship. In fact in several of his books, All the Pretty Horses for example, one of the driving forces for many of his characters is the father-son relationship. The Road just took a magnifying glass and brought that into extra sharp focus.

It would make an excellent movie, lots of great visuals with moments of horror and disgust, in the right hands, awesome!
Friends are the family we choose.

Return to “Book Reviews”