Last and First Men, by Olaf Stapledon

Links to the book review pages
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Last and First Men, by Olaf Stapledon

Post by Omphalos »

Lovely cover, ain't it? I call it the female deep-sea sweater beast.

Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

I think your review site is acting weird. I left a comment earlier under this review, and I saw it there. Now when I go back it says there are no comments. Hmmm.....
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Liege-Killer wrote:I think your review site is acting weird. I left a comment earlier under this review, and I saw it there. Now when I go back it says there are no comments. Hmmm.....
OK, that is goofy. Apparently it is treating the link at the bottom of the home page for teh "newest review" differently from the link in the list. I will have to see what happens when I add a new book.

You really should make comments here, though. I have not even got that thing to alert me when a new comment is made, so the only way I know if one is put up is if I go and look through. I know, I know. Stupid. Its on the list is all I can say. :oops:

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Comment from Liege-Killer
I look forward to reading this one (it's coming to me in the mail right now).

It sounds like O.S. used some of the same themes here as in Odd John. The parts about humanity repeating its mistakes, and its animal tendencies.... yeah, that sounds familiar.

By the way, what are the other three masterpieces you referred to?

Comment from Omphalos
They are Odd John which you have read, Star Maker and Sirius. Clute lists one other that I read years ago and thought not too much of. Ill look it up when I get home in a bit and add it to this list, just so you know what it is.

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

For some reason, the comments will disappear the next time I enter a book, so I moved them here. Sorry for the crappy boardware. Ive been thinking of changing it lately.

Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

All righty... all comments here then... gotcha!
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

By the way, I don't see an entry here for your review of The Listeners. But I did get my own review up at my blog, so you can get an idea of my opinion there. (And after just now reading your review, I see our opinions are... hmmm.... somewhat different.)

Also, you might like to know that in my to-read pile are two other books from your top ten list: Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang, and This Is the Way the World Ends. I'll be getting around to those before long.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Very different books. I tend to think you will not like the Wilhelm book as much as I, based on your opinions on other things I think are the best in genre, but I have no idea what you are going to think of the other one. Its very Swiftian, more in the vein of A Modest Proposal than Gulliver's Travels.

Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

I got "sweater beast" in the mail today. Wow, that's quite a hefty volume compared to O.J./Sirius.

Oh yeah... also got The Space Merchants today.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Liege-Killer wrote:I got "sweater beast" in the mail today. Wow, that's quite a hefty volume compared to O.J./Sirius.

Oh yeah... also got The Space Merchants today.
Ready when you are, cap'n!

Return to “Book Reviews”