Flight from Tomorrow, by H. Beam Piper

Links to the book review pages
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Flight from Tomorrow, by H. Beam Piper

Post by Omphalos »

Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Hmmm.

I like the little jab at you-know-who at the end. ;)

Any idea why Piper committed suicide? Think there's any chance we could get Kevin to?

I don't believe that I am familiar with the "Fuzzy" novels...but when I read that line under the title in the cover pic, for some reason I thought of Furries.

I assume there is no connection...?
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Actually, I think he started the whole thing. That's what I meant when I said that I hoped I never figured it out, but isn't the furry thing about cute little intelligent bugbears? Sounds childish if you ask me, but judging by the average con attendee that participated back when I went to them, I wouldn't put it past anyone.

There are all kinds of rumors about why he killed himself. One is that he though he was in financial ruin, and there is an apocryphal tale that his agent died of illness before he could tell him that he recently had a bunch of sales. Another is that he canceled his life insurance to send a middle-finger from beyond to his slut of a wife. Another is that he ran out of ideas and just did it. None of which are true, I'm sure, but they make neat tales. He was probably just depressed, like everyone else who does it.

And is that really a jab? Isn't that what he wants to be known as? Isn't that what he credits as his main inspiration for every job he has ever commented about? One big step backwards for SF'dom.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Interesting. Though I believe but am not totally sure that the furries started out as some offshoot of anime fandom.

Edit:

Wiki has this to say:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom

You may be right Omph.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Hmmm. I had never known all of that. I always assumed that it was a thing Beam and Dickson (in a book called Hoka) got going. Looks like that particular rabbit hole (pun intended) goes deeper than I thought.

Return to “Book Reviews”